Purchasing a long arm quilting machine

Old October 23rd 04, 11:21 PM
K9Rulez

Default Purchasing a long arm quilting machine

Hello, I'm interested in buying a long arm quilting machine. Does anyone have any reccomendations on which ones to buy and where to buy them?

Old October 23rd 04, 11:53 PM
Kathy Applebaum

"K9Rulez" wrote in message
.. .
Hello, I'm interested in buying a long arm quilting machine. Does anyone
have any reccomendations on which ones to buy and where to buy them?

Here's my standard answer.

Longarms are like cars. The features that work well for me won't necessarily
work well for you, and vice versa. Therefore test driving is *not* optional.

Ideally, first you'd take a full day class on a machine. Doesn't matter what
brand, you just need to get familiar with these beasts, and be comfortable
with it. Many dealers offer just such classes, very reasonably, and will
even credit the cost to a purchase. Yes, you may have to drive a bit, but
this is a big purchase. It will be really worth your while.

Then, you need to get your hands on more machines. Quilt shows are one place
to do it, but they can be crowded, so arrive early and be patient. Many
dealers have used machines in their shops, and that's another way to test
drive. Many of the longarm teachers travel around the country, teaching in
people's houses, and that's another way to test drive. (And even to get that
beginner's class in!) Does the movement of the machine fit your style of
quilting better? Is it easier to advance the quilt? Easier to smooth the
batting? How is it to load? Thread? Do the bells and whistles help or get in
the way? Can the frame be easily adjusted for your height and reach? If
you're looking at a regulated machine, can you outrun it? Are the stitches
even? Is there a long stitch at the points?

At this spot, most people who are looking at longarms are saying to
themselves "hey, she wants me to do a lot of work. I just wanted an easy
answer!" LOL Guess what -- there are no easy answers when it comes to
longarms. Most of the major makers have good machines, but they are all
different, which is great, because every longarmer has a different style of
quilting. (Which is also great!)

So, if you're still with me, here's some links:

http://www.thequiltedrose.com
http://lequilters.com
http://houseofhanson.com
http://www.gammill.net
http://www.nolting.com
http://www.apqs.com

That should keep you busy for a while. Have fun!

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

Old October 24th 04, 05:04 AM
nana2b

If a longarm machine is too big for your space, check out the HandiQuilter
16. I bought one and love it. www.handiquilter.com

NAYY, just a happy customer.

Linda in Tx

Old October 24th 04, 01:07 PM
Shirley.Caylor

If you are going to the Houston Quilt Festival next month you could also
attend LACE (Long Arm Continuing Education) that is going on at the same
time. They have special classes on the Long Arm Machines and there will be
a lot of the manufacturers there showing there machines. I understand there
is a special showing Friday night for where you can test each of the
machines.

Here is their website www.quiltfrog.com NAYY I think there is probably
still time to register for some of the lectures and classes and they have a
block of rooms available at $69.

I have been researching and trying the various machines. I'm trying to
decide which machine I want and which machine I can afford. (They aren't
necessarily the same thing) I'm leaning towards the APQS Liberty right now
since it has all the features of the APQS Millennium except the thread
cutter but is a slightly smaller machine. My second choice is the Nolting.
If the budget really becomes an issue I may start with the smaller Nolting
Hobby Quilter and move up later to a real long arm.

Good Luck in your search. Maybe I'll see you at LACE.

Shirley
Benton, TN

.. .

Old October 24th 04, 01:30 PM
frood

Linda,
I'm seriously considering buying a HandiQuilter II. One of my concerns is
about borders. I often quilt a continuous border around my quilts. I can see
how to do the 2 ends, but what about the side borders? Since you can only go
so far at a time, do you have to give up continuous borders? Or is it stop
and start alot? Or what?

My other question is can you take down the frame with a quilt still in it?
You know, like at dinner time when I need my table back?

--
Wendy
de-fang email address to reply

Old October 24th 04, 02:58 PM
Joan8904

I 'turn' the quilt 90 degrees and remount it after doing the body of the quilt
and the end borders and finish the other two. Not a problem. One caveat. I
do mostly small quilts or 'quilt as you go' for large quilts on my
Handiquilter.

joan

"nana2b" wrote in message
If a longarm machine is too big for your space, check out the HandiQuilter
16. I bought one and love it. www.handiquilter.com

NAYY, just a happy customer.

Linda in Tx

Subject: HandiQuilter Purchasing a long arm quilting machine

reader.com!atl-c02.usenetserver.com!news.usenetserver.com!peer01. cox.net!c
ox.net!cyclone1.gnilink.net!gnilink.net!cyclone.so utheast.rr.com!news-post
..tampabay.rr.com!twister.so
utheast.rr.com.POSTED!53ab2750!not-for-mail
From: "frood"
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 12:30:46 GMT

joan o'reilly
live strong
http://www.rockthevote.com/

Old October 24th 04, 04:41 PM
Kathy Applebaum

"frood" wrote in message
Linda,
I'm seriously considering buying a HandiQuilter II. One of my concerns is
about borders. I often quilt a continuous border around my quilts. I can
see how to do the 2 ends, but what about the side borders? Since you can
only go so far at a time, do you have to give up continuous borders? Or is
it stop and start alot? Or what

Here's how I handle it. True, I have a bit more working room than an HQ, but
the principle is the same.

First, I stabilize the whole quilt first. That might be doing all the SID,
quilting the whole interior, pin basting, whatever it takes so those borders
aren't going to cause problems on the inside of the quilt.

Then I think about what I'm going to quilt on the borders. Some patterns
lend themselves well to lots of starts and stops, some don't. If it's a
design that would be best without starts and stops, I advance the quilt so
the top border is in my sewing area. I start as far down the left side as I
can get to, go all the way across the top, and as far down the right as I
can, stopping with the needle down in the fabric. Then, as CAREFULLY as I
can, I advance the quilt, still with the needle down. (Practice this first
on a dog quilt. Not a problem if you keep the motion smooth and make sure
there are no obstructions). Keep sewing-advancing-sewing until you can get
to the bottom border, do it, and sew-advance-sew your way up the other side.

Some people will do the top and bottom borders, take the quilt off the
frame, turn it 90 degrees, and remount it to do the last two borders. For
them, it works great, but I have a devil of a time remounting it and
quilting those last two borders without getting waves, puckers, and general
grief. True, the sew-advance-sew can take some time, but for me it's faster
than remounting. To each her own.

Hope that helps!

Old October 24th 04, 06:38 PM
nana2b

Hi Wendy,
My understanding is that you have to quilt the top and bottom border and
then reload the quilt to do the sides. I haven't done that as yet. The
last lap quilt I did I quilted the top and bottom border and finished the
quilting on my DSM. I have the Portable Professional Frame with a
dedicated table. When I set up the frame it doesn't take more that 10
minutes. Pinning on the quilt takes a bit of time. If you take down the
frame I think all you would have to do is roll up the quilt on the back rail
and put it back when you restart.

Wendy instead of feeding them inside, how about a picnic? :-)

Old October 25th 04, 12:51 AM
frood

I'm thinking there will be lots of picnics in the spring! We have a very
nice octagonal table with an umbrella. By the time I get the HQII, it will
be a bit chilly for picnics. I'm getting pretty excited about it... Thanks
for the info!

--

newsMRed.2135$jD4.338@trnddc06...

Old October 25th 04, 01:54 AM
niasha

Kathy, when quilting, do you SID the entire quilt and then do your quilt
designs or do you do both a section at a time?
--
Niasha
"What doesn't kill you, defines you."

"Kathy Applebaum" wrote ...
First, I stabilize the whole quilt first. That might be doing all the SID,
quilting the whole interior...

Need help/tips learning Free-Motion Quilting Pat S Quilting 70 June 22nd 04 10:27 PM
Need advice on Quilting Machine nana2b Quilting 8 May 17th 04 01:11 AM
FAQ for RCTQ Diana Curtis Quilting 5 March 1st 04 06:45 PM
Quilting machine comparison please help! Barbara Bomberger Quilting 1 December 22nd 03 10:54 PM