Chipped Stone

Old May 10th 09, 09:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
[email protected]

Default Chipped Stone

Hi,
A few months ago I set a lab-grown sapphire into a sterling silver
Comfort-Fit ring for my son's girlfriend, who gave it to her mother
for Christmas. Her mother wore it daily but it now has a small chip in
the side. (You can't really notice it from the top) There's also a
small scratch on the metal, so I think she might have hit it on
something.
Isn't lab-grown a 9 like natural? Should this have chipped? Is there
anything that can be done beside reset it with a new stone?
Any and all info and suggestions gratefully accepted.
Regards,
Judith
Old May 10th 09, 09:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Peter W. Rowe[_2_]

On Sun, 10 May 2009 01:54:32 -0700, in rec.crafts.jewelry
" wrote:

Hi,
A few months ago I set a lab-grown sapphire into a sterling silver
Comfort-Fit ring for my son's girlfriend, who gave it to her mother
for Christmas. Her mother wore it daily but it now has a small chip in
the side. (You can't really notice it from the top) There's also a
small scratch on the metal, so I think she might have hit it on
something.
Isn't lab-grown a 9 like natural? Should this have chipped? Is there
anything that can be done beside reset it with a new stone?
Any and all info and suggestions gratefully accepted.
Regards,
Judith

Judith, if the lab grown stone is a true synthetic, then it, like natural
sapphire, is aluminum oxide. That is indeed a 9 on the mohs hardness scale.
Note that the term "lab grown" does not always mean the same thing as the term
synthetic, which would require the stone, if also labeled with the term
sapphire, to indeed be a true synthetic sapphire. Lab grown only means grown in
a lab. It's not a legally defined term, while "synthetic" as applied to gems,
is defined in FTC rules. However, most of the time, "lab grown" sapphires
purchased from major suppliers are indeed synthetic sapphires. Some ebay
sellers or the like, though, might play fast and loose with the terms.

As to the chip, there is a common misconception between hardness and toughness.
Hardness refers to the ease with which one material can scratch another.
Sapphire can scratch glass, but not the other way around, for example, so
sapphire is harder. But hard doesn't mean a material cannot be broken or
fractured. As an example, the sharp edge of a piece of glass can easy scratch a
piece of plastic. The glass is harder. Not drop both on a hard floor. The
plastic does not break, while the glass, more brittle and less tough, does
break. Another example: Diamond setters, using steel tools to set diamonds,
occasionally accidentally chip diamonds. The diamonds are much harder than the
steel, but the diamonds are not always as tough. Hit a diamond with a piece of
steel, the diamond breaks, while the steel gets scratched in the process.

Sapphire, while very hard as gems go, is somewhat brittle. Hit it wrong on an
edge, and you can chip it. The kitchen ceramic sink, or the bathtub, for
example, or a bit of a brick wall. Who knows. Lots of surfaces one might hit
the stone on are hard and rigid enough to transmit a sufficient shock to the
stone to chip it, even if those same materials are not hard enough to scratch
the sapphire.

If the chip is not severe, live with it. This is something that will happen
over time to most gems, even diamonds if worn long enough, especially if the
wearer also has diamond jewelry that might also bump the stone. You can replace
the stone, of course, but what happens when the owner again hits it by accident,
probably not even realizing she's done it, and it chips again. Wait until it
looks really worn, and THEN replace it. Or, if the replacement costs more than
maybe ten or fifteen dollars, you can have the chip recut and polished. Any
good lapidary that does facetting can do this. The stone gets another facet,
and then is slightly less symmetrical, but the chip is not then an obvious flaw.
Costs range, depending on who does the recutting and how much it needs, from
about ten dollars on up. A full recut of the entire stone restores all the
symmetry, but then the stone is smaller, and usually costs somewhere in the 30
to 50 dollar range, depending on the cutter, the complexity and size of the
stone, etc.

Hope that helps.

Peter
Old May 11th 09, 06:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Limpy[_2_]

In the magical world of this newsgroup called rec.crafts.jewelry on
Sun, 10 May 2009 01:55:29 -0700 we were all amazed to see Peter W.
Rowe write:

On Sun, 10 May 2009 01:54:32 -0700, in rec.crafts.jewelry
" wrote:

snip

[...]

What he said.
But as a jewelry restorer and repairman, I'd probably suggest simply
lifting the prongs, turning the stone so the chip is under a prong,
and pushing them back tight.
Ain't as much money in that for me, but you'd love me for it and
become a loyal customer. I could then later make up for it by gouging
you for some custom stuff.
--

Anulos qui animum ostendunt omnes gestemus!
Old May 11th 09, 06:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Peter W. Rowe[_2_]

On Mon, 11 May 2009 10:06:26 -0700, in rec.crafts.jewelry Limpy
wrote:

But as a jewelry restorer and repairman, I'd probably suggest simply
lifting the prongs, turning the stone so the chip is under a prong,
and pushing them back tight.

Works OK with round stones. Not so well with ovals or other shapes...

:-)

Peter
Old May 12th 09, 08:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Limpy[_2_]

In the magical world of this newsgroup called rec.crafts.jewelry on
Mon, 11 May 2009 10:07:21 -0700 we were all amazed to see Peter W.
Rowe write:

wrote:

But as a jewelry restorer and repairman, I'd probably suggest simply
lifting the prongs, turning the stone so the chip is under a prong,
and pushing them back tight.

Works OK with round stones. Not so well with ovals or other shapes...

:-)

Peter

Truedat Peter!
:-o
Doc, etc.
Old May 12th 09, 05:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Judith

Judith, if the lab grown stone is a true synthetic, then it, like natural
sapphire, is aluminum oxide. ?That is indeed a 9 on the mohs hardness scale.
Note that the term "lab grown" does not always mean the same thing as the term
synthetic, which would require the stone, if also labeled with the term
sapphire, to indeed be a true synthetic sapphire.

Before I bought it, I did ask if it was the kind that is identical
chemically, optically and physically to natural sapphire, and was told
that it is, so it better be.:-)

............Hope that helps.

Yes, that was very helpful.
Thanks!
Judith

Old May 12th 09, 05:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Judith

But as a jewelry restorer and repairman, I'd probably suggest simply
lifting the prongs, turning the stone so the chip is under a prong,
and pushing them back tight.

I wish I could, but it's an oval and the chip is on the long side. I
will definitely remember this for future use, though!
Thanks,
Judith

what is this stone? silverstall Beads 0 April 24th 07 05:24 PM
How to Identify Raw Stone JW Jewelry 2 July 22nd 04 02:16 AM
Beautiful, Hand-Chipped, Glass Arrowhead Earrings!!! Visit My Site!! Clay Marketplace 0 January 30th 04 02:18 AM
AD: Sand And Stone Juanita Floyd Beads 1 January 6th 04 12:09 AM
Gem/Stone chart John Pusinsky Jewelry 8 September 26th 03 03:21 PM