A new craft shop

Old September 23rd 08, 08:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Bruce Fletcher (remove dentures to reply)

Default A new craft shop

We have a new craft shop on the island, just a few yards down the road
from us. It will avoid having order over the internet or take a two hour
boat trip to mainland Orkney (and two hours to get back again)
Here's its website http://tinyurl.com/44cnxu
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney UK
Old September 23rd 08, 08:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

wrote in message ...
We have a new craft shop on the island, just a few yards down the road
from us. It will avoid having order over the internet or take a two hour
boat trip to mainland Orkney (and two hours to get back again)
Here's its website http://tinyurl.com/44cnxu

I had a look and was disappointed to see some imported goods, of course I
approve of Fair Trade but it's hardly local craft work :-(

It says there are 'beautiful seals and puffins' - soft toys. I hope they're
made on Stronsay. We looked at soft toys in the shape of seals when we were
in Svalbard and they were made in China :-((((

This is very common. In Coventry Cathedral honey was being sold - 'imported
from the sunny countries of the world' But there are hundreds of excellent
beekeepers in and around Coventry. It's just an example but I'm always
disappointed to find the same range of goods for sale in ALL the tourist
places I go to. Last weekend we were taking part in a 'mediaeval fair' to
raise funds for the local village church. The tent next to ours was the
local spinners and weavers' guild and had pictures of rare breed sheep on
the walls. There were cotton garments on sale - and knitted on machines
rather than by hand.

So saying, I understand the difficulties of scale but I wouldn't have
thought there was that problem on Stronsay. Can't some local body make
candles?

Mary

Old September 23rd 08, 09:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

wrote in message ...
[...]

There's very little commercial craft activity on Stronsay. Most folk are
involved in farming and/or fishing with one or two who run small B&Bs
and the rest, like us, are retired folk seeking a quiet life.
We do have one lady who uses wool sheared from sheep on Auskerry
(http://www.isleofauskerry.co.uk) and North Ronaldsay
(http://www.orcadian.co.uk/features/articles/northronsheep.htm), spins
it by hand and knits it into various items some of which you can see in
the photographs of the shop.
(whereabouts in the UK are you Mary?)
Old September 24th 08, 01:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

wrote in message
[...]

I thought you knew, sorry.

Inner city Leeds, Yorkshire.

Mary

Old September 26th 08, 05:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
[email protected]

The nice thing about having a near by craft shop , is that you can
look [and sometime touch] some of the things you need!!!! I wish for
you that over time it will supply you with many interesting things ,,
mirjam
Old September 26th 08, 12:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Edna

wrote in message ...
We have a new craft shop on the island, just a few yards down the road
from us. It will avoid having order over the internet or take a two hour
boat trip to mainland Orkney (and two hours to get back again)
Here's its website http://tinyurl.com/44cnxu
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney UK
"To every complex problem there is a solution which is simple, neat and
wrong"

Your new craft shop looks a great place to browse Bruce and how convenient
for you.

Did I ever tell you my great-grandfather was born in Scotland but from
exactly where I have not been able to ascertain, James Russell was a very
common name and the family certificates relating to him just state Scotland.

Edna in Sydney