Q: Greasy Glass

Old October 28th 05, 03:24 PM
Arondelle

Default Q: Greasy Glass

I have an inexpensive blown glass bowl that has a greasy feel to it. It
develops a hazy bloom just hours after washing it.

What causes this, and can I cure it?

Arondelle
--
"Supermodels. Hah! Nothing 'super' about them - spoiled, stupid little
stick figures with poofy lips who think only about themselves.

"Feh! I used to design for GODS!"

Edna Mode: "The Incredibles"
Old October 28th 05, 04:11 PM
Glitzy Glass

It sounds like the bowl was laminated - some artists use a coating over
the glass - sort of like poly for car finishes. That is why it clouds
up while drying and then becomes clear after drying. I am not sure how
to remove it - nail polish remover maybe, but you could ruin your bowl.

Denise
Glitzy Glass Studio
www.glassbeadz.com

Old October 28th 05, 04:31 PM
Laura Dawson

Is the hazy bloom like a sweat? Can you wipe it off?
My mom has a glass paperweight that when it's confined in her curio
cabinet it develops a hazy sweat, it doesn't run off like when you have
a cold drink on a hot day but you can wipe it off and it has a vinegar
smell to it. I have been looking on the internet to see why this
happens but haven't found anything on it yet.

Laura

Old October 28th 05, 06:26 PM
Cheryl

Your mother's paperweight is devitrifying --
this is a chemical breakdown of the glass...

Crizzling - Crisseling, This is a glass disease, sickness. Chemical
deterioration of glass is referred to as weeping, sweating, sick, or
diseased. It is mainly due to the presence of excess alkalis in the
glass reacting to moisture in the atmosphere, forming alkaline
condensation, or tears, on the glass surface and creates a fissuring to
the glass in fine gleaming lines, like small cracks, and surface
dulling.

Probably the source of Aronelle's problem also -
try washing it with a mild "acid" to counteract the alkali -- like
vinegar - then rinse with distilled water.
there is NO KNOWN permanent cure for sick glass.
Cheryl

Old October 28th 05, 07:18 PM
Arondelle

Laura Dawson wrote:
Is the hazy bloom like a sweat? Can you wipe it off?
My mom has a glass paperweight that when it's confined in her curio
cabinet it develops a hazy sweat, it doesn't run off like when you have
a cold drink on a hot day but you can wipe it off and it has a vinegar
smell to it. I have been looking on the internet to see why this
happens but haven't found anything on it yet.

The bloom looks like the white stuff you get on chocolate if you leave
it in the fridge too long, or on grapes. It wipes off, or washes off,
but it's back just a short while after it's dried. It has no odor that I
can detect. The bowl doesn't appear to be coated except for a rim of
fired-on gold.

(I also have a "greasy" paperweight with a vinegary smell, but it
otherwise has no "bloom" (except for the perpetual coating of dust) and
it doesn't sweat)

I'll have a go at giving the bowl a vinegar bath, and get back to you.
If it doesn't help, I'm just going to toss it. Life's too short to be
monkeying around with funky-looking bowls.

Arondelle

Old October 28th 05, 10:11 PM
Kandice Seeber

That happens when I acid etch glass beads - a kind of chalky white residue.
I wash the beads in soap and water with a little vinegar and use a
toothbrush to scrub the residue. It works very well.

--
Kandice Seeber
www.lampwork.net

Old November 1st 05, 11:35 AM
Tinkster

I think someone should melt it and turn it into beads or somethin'...

On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 18:18:59 GMT, Arondelle
wrote:

Laura Dawson wrote:
[...]

Tink Martin - Art Glass
Check here for available work:
http://blackswampglassworks.com/latest.htm
Old November 1st 05, 06:59 PM
Laura Dawson

I'm sure you're right. Only thing is that the glass surface is not
becoming damaged or scarred or dull in any way. You wipe off the sweat
and the glass looks as good as new. It's just weird. Anyway, I think
I won't tell her that her paperweight is "diseased" since I bought it
for her... hehehe
Thanks a bunch for your diagnosis!

Laura
www.glasscatjewels.com

Help from the US glass people, please? Su/Cutworks Beads 21 October 7th 04 10:14 PM
Soldering jump rings with glass Robin Jewelry 9 September 9th 04 04:41 AM
glaze FAQ's Tom Buck Pottery 0 August 18th 03 01:26 AM
FA: $5.00The Technique of Stained Glass Elric of Imrryr Marketplace 0 July 30th 03 03:53 AM
glaze FAQs Tom Buck Pottery 0 July 18th 03 05:40 AM