Question regarding penelope 10/20 Canvas and DMC Perle Cotton Thread

Old January 24th 04, 11:01 AM
C_Bowlin

Default Question regarding penelope 10/20 Canvas and DMC Perle Cotton Thread

Hello,

I just received a medival tapestry in blues and reds which I think
would look great in Perle Cotton thread. I plan on doing the
needlepoint in petite point by splitting the 10/20 penelope canvas. I
have just finished another tapestry using this same technique but
using DMC floss in which I used 4 strands of floss which worked well
before but did run a little thin near the end of the 18" long pieces I
was using. But I don't know whether I need to buy #5 or #8 Perle
Cotton. Does anyone know which size will be closest to the 4 strands
of regular floss that I used previously? I really need some help and
advice on this, because I have to order all the floss via the web at
once, and it will be non-returnable. Unfortunately, I can't see the
thread before I order it since it's not available where I am located.
Also, can anyone tell me whether they think the Perle cotton will look
good in a tapestry or will it be too shiny?

Thanks in advance for any advice and opinions!
c_bowlin
Old January 25th 04, 12:23 AM
Morilyn & Stan

Would recommend Pearl #5 for your petit point work - using either skein or
ball. Keep the length to about 14" & keep the tail end short as this will
wear as you stitch and is unsuitable for stitches. Just use it for ending
off your work, try and run at least 2' into the back of your stitches.
Pearl#5 comes in a large range of colours & should be easy to find the right
shades for your piece.
When using stranded cotton, cut your thread twice as long as you need - say
30", separate the strands, thread the needle with two lengths and then put
the 4 tails together to stitch - strands are double in the needle. This
will stop that annoying problem that each strand finishes at a different
length, since the tension on each strand will be equal. Also as you place
each stitch, you will not open the petit point stitch larger than it needs
to be - remember when you thread up with four strands, you are actually
passing 8 strands thru the stitch because of the tail, but with the threads
double you are only passing 4 strands - the thickness of the stitch. This
saves on canvas distortion.
Hope this all makes sense.
Let us know what you decide to use - this sounds like a challenging
needlepoint.

Morilyn,

Sunny Queensland.

om...

Old January 25th 04, 06:34 AM
C_Bowlin

Paula,

Thank you anyway. I am with the US Embassy in Romania, and it's not
that it is totally impossible for me to order the thread for just one
skein, it just takes three weeks to get to me. And then let's say I
try it out, decide what I need, order all the thread required, its
going to take another three weeks for that order to reach me. That
means six weeks of waiting before I can begin. Yes, my impatience to
start is showing. It was very sweet of you to offer. Thanks again.

(PaulaB) wrote in message . com...
If you like, send me your snail mail address and I can send you
snippets of both #5 and #8 pearl cotton. Would that help? Paula B.

Old January 25th 04, 06:47 AM
C_Bowlin

Morilyn, what a fantastic idea. I never thought about doing this. The
piece I just finished was a 9" x 20" Alphonse Mucha needlepoint in
the petit point by splitting the canvas. It turned out really well. Of
course, it took me six months to finish it. This one is called Noble
Pastoral and its' huge. But I know that if I do it in 10 pt, it won't
look as nice as I would like. I think I am looking at a couple of
years worth of work, but it will be a masterpiece.

Thank you so much for the advice you gave. Can I ask your opinion on
whether you think a very large medival scene done in perle would look
right? I have it in my mind that it would look something like a
Turkish silk carpet.

Thanks again so much for your advice.

Cyndie

Old January 25th 04, 02:29 PM
Bonnie

Oooh...Alphonse Mucha...I wish we could see. Something about his work has
always appealed to me!

--
Bonnie

WIPs:
EGA's English Band Sampler ICC
Stitch-n-Zip Patchwork Checkbook Cover
Knitted Cardigan
Knitted Amish Throw

om...

Old January 26th 04, 12:21 AM
Morilyn & Stan

Cyndie,
I think that the Perle will be the perfect choice for your medieval scene.
It has a definite sheen & in relation to the petit point stitch will fill
the canvas hole without any distortion - so important in petit point which
tends to weaken the canvas because of the huge number of stitches and
weight of thread involved. Also Perle is a single strand, so no need for
laying tools, or thread stripping! It's a bonus if your work is fairly
straightforward, especially for a large piece.
It sounds wonderful - a silk carpet - I like it!!
Regards,

Morilyn
in Sunny, beautiful Queensland,

om...

Old January 26th 04, 11:10 PM
Ellice

On 1/25/04 6:21 PM,"Morilyn & Stan" posted:

I think that the Perle will be the perfect choice for your medieval scene.
It has a definite sheen & in relation to the petit point stitch will fill
the canvas hole without any distortion - so important in petit point which
tends to weaken the canvas because of the huge number of stitches and
weight of thread involved. Also Perle is a single strand, so no need for
laying tools, or thread stripping! It's a bonus if your work is fairly
straightforward, especially for a large piece.

Great comments. Just remember - with Perle it does have that tendency to
start to untwist, especially if you use long lengths - so no laying tool
(Hooray) but, occasionally it's good to let the needle dangle, or put a
countertwist as you're stitching. And if you use really long lengths, while
convenient, sometimes the sheen will get diminished on the latter part of
the length. I learned a really nice locking stitch for the end - with perle
you can essentially run the needle straight thru the thread tail - close to
the last stitch, and pull - does a flat lock. Not a good description - I'll
try to do better if you're interested.

The piece does sound great.

Ellice

Old January 27th 04, 02:05 PM
C_Bowlin

Bonnie,

If you're interested, I bought the Mucha from this website.

http://cgi.tias.com/7183/InventoryPage/1337645/2.html

The company is Needle Treasure. I received really good service from
them. I bought the thread kit that came with the Mucha, but I ended up
not using it because it was a one ply wool and too big for the petit
point. I tried doing it in the 10pt, but it looked awful. In the 20pt,
it turned out terrific. I don't have it framed yet, but when I do,
I'll take a pic and put up the address so you can see it.

Cyndie

"Bonnie" wrote in message news:EwPQb.27515$rh5.2405@okepread04...
Oooh...Alphonse Mucha...I wish we could see. Something about his work has
always appealed to me!

--
Bonnie

WIPs: