question about hand lotions & polymer clay

Old November 2nd 04, 09:49 PM
Marissa Undercofler

Default question about hand lotions & polymer clay

Since I am still new to the world of polymer clay, I have a question
regarding hand lotion and polymer clay.

I have very dry hands, so any cracks in my hands pick up the clay, as well
as leave marks..I also have a few places on my fingers where the skin is so
dry that it has flaked a bit and left a small piece of skin sticking out,
and they sometimes poke into the clay.

So my question is, Will using hand lotion right before I play with the
polymer clay mess up the clay in anyway? If so, should I lube up my hands
like a half hour before and then wait for it to soak into the skin and then
play?

---------------------------
Marissa Undercofler -- Marissa's Creations
To see finished pieces:
http://groups.msn.com/MarissasBeaded...f/shoebox.msnw

Old November 2nd 04, 11:55 PM
Deb Hayes

Marissa...

Actually, lotion before claying is a good idea for all of us, even if we
have baby-soft skin, which I do not!

It helps prevent the color from sticking to your skin, and makes the clay
wash off more readily when you're done with the clay. (It has even been
known to soften dry skin!)

so, I would say, "Lube Away!"

Deb

--
Deborah Hayes
Editorial Staff, pcPolyzine

Old November 3rd 04, 01:27 AM
Marissa Undercofler

Thank you. I wanted to ask before I did it, and then went and made a nice
piece or something that I would want to keep, and then find out it was
ruined by the lotion or something.

Marissa

Old November 3rd 04, 02:36 AM
Stephanie

You could always use latex gloves too. Keeps those fingerprints away.

I have very dry hands, so any cracks in my hands pick up the clay, as well
as leave marks..I also have a few places on my fingers where the skin is so
dry that it has flaked a bit and left a small piece of skin sticking out,
and they sometimes poke into the clay.

..Stephanie.

Gotta Question?
Google: rec.craft.bead
http://tinyurl.com/5wm36

Old November 3rd 04, 03:19 PM
Sjpolyclay

Hi Marissa!

I like Curel lotion the best---it soaks in quickly and so doesn't transfer to
the clay, but even if lotion DOES get in there, most don't seem to interact.
The other thing I HIGHLY recommend is Burts Bees Cuticle lemon cream; my
cuticles and fingernails don't get dry and leave marks in the clay.
Sarajane

Sarajane's Polymer Clay Gallery
http://www.polyclay.com

Old November 4th 04, 04:43 AM
Jalynne

http://www1.burtsbees.com/webapp/wcs...&storeId=10001

I can often find his stuff at my local health food store, too.
--
Jalynne - Keeper of the Quilt for ME club list

"MinnieNeedles" wrote in message
now I have a question, where do you get Burts Bees Cuticle Lemon
Cream?
Marsha

Old November 4th 04, 05:22 AM
Stephanie

http://www1.burtsbees.com/webapp/wcs...talogDisplay?l

angId=-1&catalogId=10001&storeId=10001

I can often find his stuff at my local health food store, too.

Awesome stuff!!

..Stephanie.

Gotta Question?
Google: rec.craft.bead
http://tinyurl.com/5wm36

Old November 4th 04, 03:05 PM
Sjpolyclay

now I have a question, where do you get Burts Bees Cuticle Lemon
Cream?

I get it at the health food store, its in a little round (coverable later) tin.
Here's a link with a store finder:

http://www1.burtsbees.com/