attaching a fabric patch to knitting?

Old January 15th 08, 02:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
myswendy

Default attaching a fabric patch to knitting?

Hi guys,
I've been hard at work struggling to duplicate-stitch Mario into a
scarf. FINALLY DONE! My first and LAST effort--wayyy too much work for
me! LOL. I didn't want to knit it in because I wasn't sure of the
pattern, and I figured with top-stitching it, I could always remove
bits and change my mind. That part worked out well. NOW....

Now, I have embroidered a large patch in a pretty matching fabric to
protect the back side of the stitching in this young boy's scarf. The
picture is large--the width of the scarf, almost--so the patch is,
too--about 8x8 inches or so. What is the most attractive way of
attaching this fabric patch to the back of the scarf? I have
embroidered it with the boy's name and "signed" it as well with my
embroidered signature and the date. Thanks!

Wendy
A Knitting Fool in CT
mysmt-at-sbcglobal.net
Old January 16th 08, 06:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
[email protected]

On Jan 15, 4:32*pm, myswendy wrote:
[...]

Best way in my experience , is to lay it on the place you want it and
first use a tacking thread .. see that it doesnt pull etc,, than have
2 metods , 1 sew it on the knitting with a Zigzag catching a stitch
with both `loops`, and back to cloth piece. 2, make an embroidery
Blanket stich around the cloth while sewing it onto the knitted
piece .
After you chose either of the above , turn the work and you may
embroider over the Seams seen on the `better`, side .
If you use an embroidery thread whose color matches the wool it might
be almost invisible , if it is make it into an ornament ,
mirjam
Old January 16th 08, 03:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
myswendy

Thank you so much, Mirjam! I have been puzzling over this for days.

Wendy
Old January 16th 08, 03:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
[email protected]

On Jan 16, 5:30*pm, myswendy wrote:
Thank you so much, Mirjam! I have been puzzling over this for days.

Wendy

You are very welcome Wendy , i did it many times , in clothes and in
art works , that it became a habit ,,,
mirjam
Old January 16th 08, 10:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
myswendy

Ok, I finished it up this afternoon. I used a blanket stitch around
the edges and since it was such a large patch, I put a little bit of
fabric glue around the center bits to help hold the body of the patch
in place. It looks WONDERFUL! Thanks again.

Wendy
Old January 22nd 08, 05:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
[email protected]

On Jan 17, 12:42*am, myswendy wrote:
Ok, I finished it up this afternoon. I used a blanket stitch around
the edges and since it was such a large patch, I put a little bit of
fabric glue around the center bits to help hold the body of the patch
in place. It looks WONDERFUL! Thanks again.

Wendy

Congrats on finnishing ,,,, i am not very kin on glue but if it works
for you ?? next time you might just embroider a tiny thing
instead ,???
mirjam
Old January 22nd 08, 07:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
myswendy

On Jan 22, 12:16*am, wrote:
On Jan 17, 12:42*am, myswendy wrote:

Ok, I finished it up this afternoon. I used a blanket stitch around
the edges and since it was such a large patch, I put a little bit of
fabric glue around the center bits to help hold the body of the patch
in place. It looks WONDERFUL! Thanks again.

Wendy

Congrats on finnishing ,,,, i am not very kin on glue but if it works
for you ?? next time you might just embroider a tiny thing
instead ,???
mirjam

HAHAHA! Yeah really! But as this was my first one, well...I wanted a
nice large picture ("Mario") for this kid to be thrilled by. The
purpose of the patch was to protect the back of the duplicate
stitching. Oh-- you can see it here, if you would like: http://tinyurl.com/2j5vpy

Wendy
PS--the glue was a clear fabric glue. I only used a couple of tiny
dabs in the very center of the patch, which was thick enough to handle
it without a clue that there is glue in there. It keeps the center of
the patch from poofing out, as I didn't want to stitch that part over
the design.
Old January 23rd 08, 05:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
[email protected]

On Jan 22, 9:44*pm, myswendy wrote:
On Jan 22, 12:16*am, wrote:

[...]

Wendy i wasn`t scolding you , just pondering in writing , i happen not
to like glue on any cloth in any technique i make ,,,
mirjam

Attaching a rope to a pipe Bernie Cosell Knots 5 November 27th 07 05:53 AM
Attaching a pull rope Luke 451 Knots 6 July 7th 05 05:57 AM
attaching velcro to canvas gdh Sewing 8 May 13th 05 03:21 PM
Attaching hardanger to clothing Jacqueline Needlework 5 July 13th 04 11:09 PM
Question on attaching mug handles Beowulf Pottery 5 January 2nd 04 09:14 AM