Machine help please

Old August 31st 03, 07:01 PM
Vikki in WA State

Default Machine help please

Yep, it is "gopher guts"
Top tension problem.

http://www.sailrite.com/techtalk/sewing6.htm sez,
"6. There are loops on the underside of the fabric. If there is a tangle on
the bottom side of the fabric, there is not enough upper tension. More than
likely the thread has not be pulled snugly between the tension disks on the
upper tension assembly. Release the tension assembly six turns or so and
re-thread the machine. Now increase the tension to its former position.
Turning the tension dial up makes it easier to wrap the thread between the
disks. Or double wrap the thread on the upper tension assembly."

although I don't know about double wrapping the thread.

HTH
Vikki in WA State

"Butterfly" wrote in message
There is no hope : (
You have "gopher guts".

Just a lil hint--when you 'unthread' the machine--cut the thread at the
spool--pull the thread thru from the needle end--that way it will catch
any looses threads, lint, etc, as it goes thru.

HTH
Butterfly (now--read the rest of the replies--just hope mine gave you a
lil grin)

Shelly wrote:
I've been sewing on and off for years but any problems with the machine

are
left to DH. As you all know, he left yesterday and this is HIS field. My
machine is sewing but making a mess on the back of the fabric. I *think*
it's the tension setting but not really sure. I've twisted and

re-twisted
and switched it back and forth and still nothing has worked yet. I'm

about
ready to chunk the d**n thing out the back door and just start sewing by
hand. lol Really! I've searched a few sites and can't find anything to

fix
this machine. So, Kate? Anyone have any ideas on what is causing the

thread
to "bubble" on the back of the fabric? It's like it has a line of thread
down the fabric with loops of thread around this one long piece. The top
stitches have never looked better. lol Go figure! I thought before I

mess
around with the bobbin tension, I'd check with someone here. Otherwise,

I'd
probably REALLY mess something up. lol
Shelly

---

Old August 31st 03, 07:52 PM
Pati Cook

Shelly, sounds like the thread isn't in the top tension at all. Be sure when
threading the machine that the pressure foot is *up* and the thread is truely
in the tension assembly. And that the whole thing is correctly threaded.

HTH,
Pati, in Phx

Old August 31st 03, 08:00 PM
Shelly

Thanks Kate! I best not attempt what you did by taking the disks apart. lol
I'd never get it back together in a million years. I'll try the flossing
trick and see what happens. Thanks again.
Shelly
"Kate Dicey" wrote in message
Shelly wrote:

[...]

That sounds like your top tension, all right! Get a bit of thick thread
- but NOT fizzy! Button or pearl cotton is good. Floss the tension
disks thoroughly, as far round as you can, with the foot down as well as
up.

Adjust the tension to suit the stitch and fabric once this is done.

Even Lily can produce this symptom after using fuzzy thread! Whenever
it appears, a quick flossing is usually all it takes to stop it. Even a
tiny bit of lint caught in the disks can cause a big problem with stitch
quality. I recently totally disassembled both top thread tension
mechanism and bobbin case tension on my Singer 15-88, removing quite
large lumps of fossilized grunge from okkard nooks and crannies, as well
as some rust from the tension disks. It now works a real treat.
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk

---

Old August 31st 03, 08:02 PM
Shelly

I'll have to remember this one for sure. GOPHER GUTS is NOT what I'm wanting
here. lol
Thanks Butter,
Shelly

Old August 31st 03, 08:04 PM
Shelly

I didn't realize that the foot had to be up when fooling with the tension! I
probably had it down. I'll try to remember this. It had me so bumfuzzled,
that I tried every conceivable way possible to thread the tension disk,
knowing all the while that I always get it on the first try. It started
making me doubt myself and that's not good! lol I haven't been back in there
as of yet to attempt to rectify the situation but I will later this evening.
Thanks Patti!
Shelly

Old August 31st 03, 10:35 PM
Jalynne

When this happens to me, it's usually because the bobbin thread has popped out of the
bobbin tension thing....I rethread the bottom and the problem goes awy.
--
Jalynne

Old September 1st 03, 12:21 AM
Pam Runyon

You are all toooo good. Gopher guts.
Shelly you have the answers.

Pam

Old September 1st 03, 02:49 AM
Walt & Cheri Carroll

Yes Pati, that is what I was going to suggest. Many times I have also ended
up with "bobbin barf" and right away I know that I have to rethread the
machine with the pressure foot UP. The odd time it is from not having the
bobbin properly inserted in the bobbin case (holding the thread in your
right hand and the bobbin on your left, it should be unwinding from the top
not the bottom).

Cheri
On Vancouver Island, Canada

Old September 1st 03, 05:27 AM
Shelly

I had just filled a bobbin that looked not so happy. That very well could be
the cause, now that you mentioned it. I've still not made it back in
there.lol I'm going though. Maybe in the morning. I'll teach that machine to
mess around with me when I'm in a sewing mood again! hehe
Shelly
ink.net...