A crafts forum. CraftBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » CraftBanter forum » Textiles newsgroups » Needlework
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Knitting a Patch

Old March 9th 14, 12:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Monica Ferris
external usenet poster

Default Knitting a Patch

I know this isn't a knitting forum, but I'm hoping some of you can help me. My editor insisted I change the name of the next Betsy Devonshire book, which I was calling The Needle Case. After some toing and froing we came up with Darned If You Do. It's cute but now I have to add a scene where a sock gets darned. I've been looking at tutorials on the 'Net, and have written what I think is an accurate description. If you are interested, please read this and let me know if it's okay. Let me know if I'm stepping way out of line with this. If not, thank you very, very much!

Betsy went back to Crewel World to find Godwin deeply immersed in teaching a young woman to darn a hand knit sock. It looked like a sock from one of his knitting classes.

The sock, a bright orange with small black diamonds, was bulging smoothly over a small hole in the heel.

Ah, he's using a darning egg, thought Betsy. The smooth wooden implements came in various sizes and shapes - some more like a computer mouse than an egg. It was generally the truly egg-shaped that had handles on them. They slipped inside socks or the arms and even the backs of sweaters that had worn or torn a hole in themselves. It made mending them easier by freeing both hands for the work and by preventing the stitcher from stitching the front onto the back.
There's something satisfying about mending a hand made garment, she thought.. Ours is a throw-away society, it's good to push back against that once in awhile.

Godwin did not glance up. He had threaded a darning needle appropriate to the thickness of the yarn used to knit the stocking. The yarn he was threading was a bright orange to match the area where a hole had worn through.

"And now I take some of the leftover yarn from your stocking, which you wisely kept per my advice, and note I cut a length of it longer than you might think you'll need, because it's ever so easy to cut the extra off than try to pick up and continue with a new length."

"Okay," she said, nodding.

Without changing tone or looking around, Godwin said, "Hello, Betsy. Valentina called, she's going to stop by in a little while. Now, have you done duplicate stitch before?"

The young woman said, doubtfully, "I've looked at it on the Internet, and so I understand the theory of it, but I've never tried it. Is it as easy as it looks?"

"Nothing is as easy as it looks. So okay, before I start, you knitted this sock using four double ended needles, and there's a way to patch this hole using them, size double zero. Would you rather do that?"

The young woman rested her chin and cheek in the palm of her hand, while she thought, but then said, "I don't know. I mean, I really don't know. Which do you prefer?"

"Honestly? I like duplicate stitch if the place is only worn thin. If there's an actual hole, then I like darning with double zero needles."

"Fine." She turned to Betsy. "I'll take a set of double zeros, please."

"That's great, Molly." Betsy brought a packaged set of four to the desk. Molly opened the package and gave the needles to Godwin.

He took one and said, "First, find the first row below the hole that has no damage. You're looking for strong, solid stitching." He pointed the row out and began carefully working across the row, starting about half an inch to one side of the hole, lifting a single stitch and running the needle through it. He continued across the row to half an inch the other side of the hole. "See?" he said.

"Gotcha," Molly replied.

"Now, from the farthest left hand picked-up stitch, run up that column with another needle, picking up each stitch, beside the hole to a solid row above it." He did so, his fingers moving nimbly, while she watched.

"You do that so smoothly," she said.

"Lots of experience," he said. "I'm always wearing a hole in my socks, though it's usually at the toe." He leaned a little sideways and murmured, "I have such sharp toenails."

Molly giggled.

"Now, run the third needle up the right side, same as you do on the left. At this point you've got that old hole practically surrounded."

"Except at the top," Molly pointed out.

"Yes, well, we'll take care of that as we approach. So, you take your fourth needle, and a matching yarn, or some left over from the sock lesson, and you verrrry carefully pick up that first stitch on the bottom row and the first stitch on the right vertical row, and you knit the two of them together with the strand of yarn. Like so."

He deftly picked up the stitches onto the free needle and knit them into the strand of yarn. "Now, continue across that row to the other side."
In a few minutes he said, "And now we turn and purl our way back, picking up that first stitch from the vertical needles, so we're tacking it down on either side. You see? We're knitting a patch over the hole."

"Well, isn't that clever!"

"Yes, it is." Godwin purled his way back, then handed over the sock with its needles. "Here, you knit a row while I watch."

Molly set out, moving slowly as she felt her way into the knitting. "I'm not used to such tiny needles," she said. "But look, it's coming along."

She purled the next row, this time without her tongue sticking out of the corner of her mouth, her movement quicker and smoother. "Wow," she said. "This isn't hard at all!"

"Tol'ja," said Godwin. "As you get near the top, pull the bottom needle out and thread it across the top, then knit the last row onto it."

"Yeah, yeah, that makes sense."

"So now you know you don't have to throw away a pair of socks you worked so hard making just because you blew a hole in one of them. Come back in the fall, I'm teaching a class on duplicate stitching which you can use to prevent a weak spot in a sock or sweater or hat from turning into a hole."

"All right, I will. Thanks, Goddy!"
Ads
Old March 9th 14, 03:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gillian Murray
external usenet poster

Default Knitting a Patch

I will go through this tomorrow. Do you realize we Brownies, back in
England in the 1940s, had to darn a sock to pass a badge??? I remember
along with that was to make a bed, and make a cup of tea. (No teabags).
LOL Sheena will remember.

Gillian...certainly telling my age !

On 3/8/2014 6:45 PM, Monica Ferris wrote:
I know this isn't a knitting forum, but I'm hoping some of you can help me. My editor insisted I change the name of the next Betsy Devonshire book, which I was calling The Needle Case. After some toing and froing we came up with Darned If You Do. It's cute but now I have to add a scene where a sock gets darned. I've been looking at tutorials on the 'Net, and have written what I think is an accurate description. If you are interested, please read this and let me know if it's okay. Let me know if I'm stepping way out of line with this. If not, thank you very, very much!

Betsy went back to Crewel World to find Godwin deeply immersed in teaching a young woman to darn a hand knit sock. It looked like a sock from one of his knitting classes.

The sock, a bright orange with small black diamonds, was bulging smoothly over a small hole in the heel.

Ah, he's using a darning egg, thought Betsy. The smooth wooden implements came in various sizes and shapes - some more like a computer mouse than an egg. It was generally the truly egg-shaped that had handles on them. They slipped inside socks or the arms and even the backs of sweaters that had worn or torn a hole in themselves. It made mending them easier by freeing both hands for the work and by preventing the stitcher from stitching the front onto the back.
There's something satisfying about mending a hand made garment, she thought. Ours is a throw-away society, it's good to push back against that once in awhile.

Godwin did not glance up. He had threaded a darning needle appropriate to the thickness of the yarn used to knit the stocking. The yarn he was threading was a bright orange to match the area where a hole had worn through.

"And now I take some of the leftover yarn from your stocking, which you wisely kept per my advice, and note I cut a length of it longer than you might think you'll need, because it's ever so easy to cut the extra off than try to pick up and continue with a new length."

Without changing tone or looking around, Godwin said, "Hello, Betsy. Valentina called, she's going to stop by in a little while. Now, have you done duplicate stitch before?"

The young woman said, doubtfully, "I've looked at it on the Internet, and so I understand the theory of it, but I've never tried it. Is it as easy as it looks?"

"Nothing is as easy as it looks. So okay, before I start, you knitted this sock using four double ended needles, and there's a way to patch this hole using them, size double zero. Would you rather do that?"

The young woman rested her chin and cheek in the palm of her hand, while she thought, but then said, "I don't know. I mean, I really don't know. Which do you prefer?"

"Honestly? I like duplicate stitch if the place is only worn thin. If there's an actual hole, then I like darning with double zero needles."

"Fine." She turned to Betsy. "I'll take a set of double zeros, please."

"That's great, Molly." Betsy brought a packaged set of four to the desk. Molly opened the package and gave the needles to Godwin.

He took one and said, "First, find the first row below the hole that has no damage. You're looking for strong, solid stitching." He pointed the row out and began carefully working across the row, starting about half an inch to one side of the hole, lifting a single stitch and running the needle through it. He continued across the row to half an inch the other side of the hole. "See?" he said.

"Gotcha," Molly replied.

"Now, from the farthest left hand picked-up stitch, run up that column with another needle, picking up each stitch, beside the hole to a solid row above it." He did so, his fingers moving nimbly, while she watched.

"Lots of experience," he said. "I'm always wearing a hole in my socks, though it's usually at the toe." He leaned a little sideways and murmured, "I have such sharp toenails."

Molly giggled.

"Now, run the third needle up the right side, same as you do on the left. At this point you've got that old hole practically surrounded."

"Yes, well, we'll take care of that as we approach. So, you take your fourth needle, and a matching yarn, or some left over from the sock lesson, and you verrrry carefully pick up that first stitch on the bottom row and the first stitch on the right vertical row, and you knit the two of them together with the strand of yarn. Like so."

He deftly picked up the stitches onto the free needle and knit them into the strand of yarn. "Now, continue across that row to the other side."
In a few minutes he said, "And now we turn and purl our way back, picking up that first stitch from the vertical needles, so we're tacking it down on either side. You see? We're knitting a patch over the hole."

"Yes, it is." Godwin purled his way back, then handed over the sock with its needles. "Here, you knit a row while I watch."

Molly set out, moving slowly as she felt her way into the knitting. "I'm not used to such tiny needles," she said. "But look, it's coming along."

She purled the next row, this time without her tongue sticking out of the corner of her mouth, her movement quicker and smoother. "Wow," she said. "This isn't hard at all!"

"Tol'ja," said Godwin. "As you get near the top, pull the bottom needle out and thread it across the top, then knit the last row onto it."

"So now you know you don't have to throw away a pair of socks you worked so hard making just because you blew a hole in one of them. Come back in the fall, I'm teaching a class on duplicate stitching which you can use to prevent a weak spot in a sock or sweater or hat from turning into a hole."

Old March 9th 14, 04:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Nyssa
external usenet poster

Default Knitting a Patch

wrote:

On Sat, 8 Mar 2014 15:45:38 -0800 (PST), Monica Ferris
wrote:

I know this isn't a knitting forum, but I'm hoping some of
you can help me. My editor insisted I change the name of
the next Betsy Devonshire book, which I was calling The
Needle Case. After some toing and froing we came up with
Darned If You Do. It's cute but now I have to add a scene
where a sock gets darned. I've been looking at tutorials
on the 'Net, and have written what I think is an accurate
description. If you are interested, please read this and
let me know if it's okay. Let me know if I'm stepping way
out of line with this. If not, thank you very, very much!

Betsy went back to Crewel World to find Godwin deeply
immersed in teaching a young woman to darn a hand knit
sock. It looked like a sock from one of his knitting
classes.

The sock, a bright orange with small black diamonds, was
bulging smoothly over a small hole in the heel.

Ah, he's using a darning egg, thought Betsy. The smooth
wooden implements came in various sizes and shapes - some
more like a computer mouse than an egg. It was generally
the truly egg-shaped that had handles on them. They
slipped inside socks or the arms and even the backs of
sweaters that had worn or torn a hole in themselves. It
made mending them easier by freeing both hands for the
work and by preventing the stitcher from stitching the
front onto the back.
There's something satisfying about mending a hand made
garment, she thought. Ours is a throw-away society, it's
good to push back against that once in awhile.

Godwin did not glance up. He had threaded a darning
needle appropriate to the thickness of the yarn used to
knit the stocking. The yarn he was threading was a bright
orange to match the area where a hole had worn through.

"And now I take some of the leftover yarn from your
stocking, which you wisely kept per my advice, and note I
cut a length of it longer than you might think you'll
need, because it's ever so easy to cut the extra off than
try to pick up and continue with a new length."

Without changing tone or looking around, Godwin said,
"Hello, Betsy. Valentina called, she's going to stop by
in a little while. Now, have you done duplicate stitch
before?"

The young woman said, doubtfully, "I've looked at it on
the Internet, and so I understand the theory of it, but
I've never tried it. Is it as easy as it looks?"

"Nothing is as easy as it looks. So okay, before I start,
you knitted this sock using four double ended needles, and
there's a way to patch this hole using them, size double
zero. Would you rather do that?"

The young woman rested her chin and cheek in the palm of
her hand, while she thought, but then said, "I don't know.
I mean, I really don't know. Which do you prefer?"

"Honestly? I like duplicate stitch if the place is only
worn thin. If there's an actual hole, then I like darning
with double zero needles."

"Fine." She turned to Betsy. "I'll take a set of double
zeros, please."

"That's great, Molly." Betsy brought a packaged set of
four to the desk. Molly opened the package and gave the
needles to Godwin.

He took one and said, "First, find the first row below the
hole that has no damage. You're looking for strong, solid
stitching." He pointed the row out and began carefully
working across the row, starting about half an inch to one
side of the hole, lifting a single stitch and running the
needle through it. He continued across the row to half an
inch the other side of the hole. "See?" he said.

"Gotcha," Molly replied.

"Now, from the farthest left hand picked-up stitch, run up
that column with another needle, picking up each stitch,
beside the hole to a solid row above it." He did so, his
fingers moving nimbly, while she watched.

"Lots of experience," he said. "I'm always wearing a hole
in my socks, though it's usually at the toe." He leaned a
little sideways and murmured, "I have such sharp
toenails."

Molly giggled.

"Now, run the third needle up the right side, same as you
do on the left. At this point you've got that old hole
practically surrounded."

"Yes, well, we'll take care of that as we approach. So,
you take your fourth needle, and a matching yarn, or some
left over from the sock lesson, and you verrrry carefully
pick up that first stitch on the bottom row and the first
stitch on the right vertical row, and you knit the two of
them together with the strand of yarn. Like so."

He deftly picked up the stitches onto the free needle and
knit them into the strand of yarn. "Now, continue across
that row to the other side."
In a few minutes he said, "And now we turn and purl our
way back, picking up that first stitch from the vertical
needles, so we're tacking it down on either side. You
see? We're knitting a patch over the hole."

"Yes, it is." Godwin purled his way back, then handed
over the sock with its needles. "Here, you knit a row
while I watch."

Molly set out, moving slowly as she felt her way into the
knitting. "I'm not used to such tiny needles," she said.
"But look, it's coming along."

She purled the next row, this time without her tongue
sticking out of the corner of her mouth, her movement
quicker and smoother. "Wow," she said. "This isn't hard
at all!"

"Tol'ja," said Godwin. "As you get near the top, pull the
bottom needle out and thread it across the top, then knit
the last row onto it."

"So now you know you don't have to throw away a pair of
socks you worked so hard making just because you blew a
hole in one of them. Come back in the fall, I'm teaching
a class on duplicate stitching which you can use to
prevent a weak spot in a sock or sweater or hat from
turning into a hole."

I didn't learn to darn this way - I was taught with a
decorative wooden mushroom - you used a 'darning' needle
(so called because the eye was generous enough to
accomodate threading wool through it) and you first made
lines of yarn back and forth one way across the hole.

Then turn the mushroom and weave, over and under those
threads. The part where you had to be careful was in
leaving a small loop at the
end of each run to allow for shrinkage. Wool generally
did shrink a little when it was first washed in those
days.

I can see the artistry in darning as you describe but
'back in the day' there were too many socks to darn (my
grandmother kept a basket beside her chair, socks to knit
for soldiers and family socks for darning) the practical
outweighed the artistic lol

Yep, this is the way I remember it too. You basically
wove "fabric" with the yarn over the hole. I always
had trouble maintaining tension and not pulling the
yarn too tight making it all bunch up instead of
lying smooth. It just takes patience and practice.

You *could* get rather artistic about it though if you
used a contrasting yarn or a couple of different
yarn colors, one for the base set of lines across,
then another for the weaving lines.

Another way was to do as Goddy described, only having
planned it in advance by the way you knitted the
original sock: do the heel and toes in a contrasting
color that made it easier to rip out the old "bad"
sections and re-knit it with more yarn.

I also wouldn't use double 0 needles on the patch unless
they were the same size as I had used originally. I'd
use the same size needle and same size yarn as I had
for the sock in the first place.

One last note, that double pointed needles that small
often come in packs of five instead of four, meant
for sock knitting. It all depends on the manufacturer,
but most European brands would come in fives.

Can't wait to read the new one, Mary Monica.

Nyssa, who has a wooden darning egg with handle around
here somewhere
Old March 9th 14, 08:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C
external usenet poster

Default Knitting a Patch

Nyssa wrote:

Nyssa, who has a wooden darning egg with handle around
here somewhere

I also used those L'eggs pantyhose eggs for that purpose. Regrettably,
L'eggs now come in boring cardboard boxes. Wish I'd saved more of the
eggs......

I learned the way Sheena describes, to weave a darn. After all, heels
and toes of socks should be hidden inside your shoes at all times, so
beauty was less important than functionality. Another single-layer heel
would simply wear through as quickly as the original, whereas something
darned with multiple layers of yarn woven through each other would last
longer.

--

Karen C - California
Editor/Proofreader/Translator www.IntlProofingConsortium.com

Finished 3/6/14 -- peacock from www.aflembroidery.com

WIP: Stitchers Days of Christmas
http://www.crossstitchjoy.com/catalo...oducts_id=3865
Nativity from "Countdown to Christmas" book, Oriental Kimono (Janlynn),
MLI The Teacher (gift to the library), Bethany Angel (Marbek)
Retrieved from UFO pile: Marbek's Snow Angel, MLI Farmers Market

www.CFSfacts.org -- where we give you the facts and dispel the myths
Myths, with research cites: http://www.aacfs.org/images/pdfs/myths.pdf

COPYRIGHT 2014 -- PERMISSION GIVEN TO POST ON
USENET AND GOOGLE GROUPS NEWSREADER ONLY,
BUT IF FOUND ON TWITTER OR SEWGIRLS/INSPIREPOINT,
IT HAS BEEN REPUBLISHED WITHOUT MY PERMISSION
WHICH CONSTITUTES ILLEGAL COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT

Old March 10th 14, 04:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joy Beeson
external usenet poster

Default Knitting a Patch

The passage looks good to me.

When the student gets to the top of the patch, she is going to have to
graft it to the original knitting. Grafting is duplicate stitch over
stitches that aren't there. But the viewpoint character left before
the lesson got that far, so there's no need to worry about it.

I always use interlocking rows of buttonhole stitch
http://roughsewing.home.comcast.net/~roughsewing/PVENISED.HTM, but I
think that that is somewhat unusual. (My theory is that woven darns
on socks got established when people darned so many woven fabrics that
they could make a woven darn work on *anything*.)

When I get a hole in the toe of a sock, I rip the entire toe off, pick
up the stitches, and re-knit the same way I did the first time. There
is a ripple where new stitches spring from old, flattened stitches
that never blocks out.

I use duplicate stitch only on very small patches of damage, or very
valuable garments. If there is anything at all left of the original
stitches, duplicate stitch hardly requires instruction: Just cover up
the existing yarn. (Magnifying glasses help.)

If the garment is *really* valuable, I will use a separate piece of
yarn for every row of duplicate stitch, and break the yarn by pulling
out individual fibers so that there isn't any clear end. The last bit
that won't work in a needle can be tucked in with a crochet hook.

--
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://joybeeson.home.comcast.net/
The above message is a Usenet post.
I don't recall having given anyone permission to use it on a Web site.

Old March 10th 14, 12:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Donna
external usenet poster

Default Knitting a Patch

Not trying to complicate things, but with needlework I would have thought of using pattern darning before sock darning.

Many needlepointers are using pattern darning patterns as backgrounds on hand painted canvas pieces these days:-)

Happy Stitching,
Donna in Virginia
Old March 10th 14, 07:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Shirley
external usenet poster

Default Knitting a Patch

On 10/03/2014 16:17, Joan Erickson wrote:
On 3/9/2014 6:23 AM, wrote:

I didn't learn to darn this way - I was taught with a decorative
wooden mushroom - you used a 'darning' needle (so called because the
eye was generous enough to accommodate threading wool through it) and
you first made lines of yarn back and forth one way across the hole.

Then turn the mushroom and weave, over and under those threads.

I'm not as "mature" as Sheena & Gill, but my mom taught me this way,
too. Mom didn't have anything as fancy as a darning egg, though. She
used a lightbulb in the sock instead! I actually darned a few of
DH's socks when we first got married!

Aaah, memories!
lol

Since we were using gas lights we did not have any light bulbs.

A clenched up fist was pushed in the sock to be darned.

As a young girl we lived in a small village and the only way my mother
could get to the "Women's Institute" meetings was to take me with her.

I used to collect all the "Make do and Mend leaflets" issued during W11.
One was for darning which I used to learn to darn. Another was how to
patch putting a patch on both sides of the of the tear in fabric.

I have a Bakelite darning mushroom with the dome. When the darning was
done the darn was a hump that went after the first washing.
In fact during the war often the socks were more darns than original
knitting.

In my collection of old needlework tools I also have a gadget that was
used for weaving the darn. When new it cost two shillings and sixpence.
I have not attempted to use it.

We also used to use small round flat tins pushed in the socks with the
hole on top of the tin lid. Then using the warp and weft method of
weaving neatly catching in the edges of the holes.

Hanks of darning wool was bought but they had the ends cut so we could
not use them for knitting, since knitting wool had to be bought using
precious clothing coupons.

Hope you enjoyed my trip down memory lane I would have been about 8
years old then.

Hugs
Shirley

--
Shirley
www.allcrafts.org.uk
Old April 3rd 14, 05:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
mirjam
external usenet poster

Default Knitting a Patch

On Sunday, March 9, 2014 1:45:38 AM UTC+2, Monica Ferris wrote:
Monica Best of Luck with the New book !!!!

We learned to darn on a `Darning Mushroom` [if you never saw one , i found some examples on http://www.ebay.com/bhp/darning-mushroom
I still got an old that was My Husband`s grand Ma. When we did not have one ready we used a turned small drinking cup ..

Ah, he's using a darning egg, thought Betsy. The smooth wooden implements came in various sizes and shapes - some more like a computer mouse than an egg. It was generally the truly egg-shaped that had handles on them. They slipped inside socks or the arms and even the backs of sweaters that had worn or torn a hole in themselves.

It made mending them easier by freeing both hands for the work and by preventing the stitcher from stitching the front onto the back.

We always held the the sock tightly with one hand and mended with the other , never saw or heard anybody who had 2 free hands to mend ,,,

There's something satisfying about mending a hand made garment, she thought. Ours is a throw-away society, it's good to push back against that once in
awhile

THE TREND Now is mending repairing reusing recycling

EXCELLENT

EXCELLENT

iF HE IS KNITTING THE PATCH THERE IS NO NEED TO HOLD A DARNING EGG OR MUSHROOM INSIDE THE SOCK IN FACT IT WILL HINDER THE KNITTING
mirjam
Old April 3rd 14, 05:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
mirjam
external usenet poster

Default Knitting a Patch

On Sunday, March 9, 2014 5:19:51 PM UTC+2, Nyssa wrote:

if it was a `hole` we wove over it , if it was a thined place we embroidered over the original stitches ,,, in a manner that looked like knitting.
mirjam