OT Can we have a roll call.

Old April 10th 09, 07:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Carla

Default OT Can we have a roll call.

Hey Maren

What are you making these days?
(I admit I'm having way too much fun (spending way too much time) at
lampwork etc.)

I've mostly been making a mess Seriously, bouncing around from
project to project and not completing much of anything serious. Last
weekend, I found a stash of earrings I'd made and totally forgot about
so I cleaned them up with the idea of getting pictures and putting them
on my etsy site. Then the workweek started again and the earrings are
back in a box. I'm generally too wiped out after work to do much of
anything.

And I wish I was as close to retirement as you. - And then I don't.
I'd love
the extra time, but I also enjoy my work, and for the time being we
can
make good use of the paychecks.

I wish I enjoyed my job but the work-load is just way too much for one
person. More often than not, it's frustrating and demanding and
exhausting. Since I'm taking early retirement, I'll have to find a job
after retirement (which will probably be difficult in the current job
market), but it has to be something a lot less demanding.

I'm hoping to work at least part time
where I work now for another 20 or so years. Yes, that's past full
social
security age, but most of the time I love that job.

You're a lucky woman, really

And I hope to cut
some
hours way before then and make more beads, jewelry, grow plants, etc.-

I definitely want to make more beads and jewelry, but I'd like to take
some classes, too, like in precious metal clay (that stuff is too
expensive to experiment with g), and art/design.

It's good to see you here, and I'd love to share another "death by
chocolate".

Say the word and I'm up for it I'd even go off the "healthy eating"
for a day Last summer, my doc told me I was borderline diabetic
(it's in my family) and needed to lose 15 pounds. Since then, I've lost
40 pounds, walk a couple of miles a day, and dropped my blood sugar
about 30 points. But "death by chocolate"...that's special

Hugs,
Carla
Old April 10th 09, 01:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Maren aka HiloBeads or PalmsEtc[_2_]

Hi Carla,

was wondering whether to take this to email, but decided not to.

On Apr 9, 8:51*pm, Carla wrote:
I've mostly been making a mess *Seriously, bouncing around from
project to project and not completing much of anything serious. *Last
weekend, I found a stash of earrings I'd made and totally forgot about
so I cleaned them up with the idea of getting pictures and putting them
on my etsy site. *Then the workweek started again and the earrings are
back in a box. *I'm generally too wiped out after work to do much of
anything.

I got a good giggle out of the first half and a "getting old sucks"
out of the
second half. Agree with both (but definitely prefer it to the
alternative in
both too).

And I wish I was as close to retirement as you. - And then I don't.
I'd love
the extra time, but I also enjoy my work, and for the time being we
can
make good use of the paychecks.

I wish I enjoyed my job but the work-load is just way too much for one
person. *More often than not, it's frustrating and demanding and
exhausting. *Since I'm taking early retirement, I'll have to find a job
after retirement (which will probably be difficult in the current job
market), but it has to be something a lot less demanding.

that sucks in the current economy.
I'm not saying that the work load isn't trying to get the better of
me,
but having just read an article about what I'm doing for work (which
is
at least borderline embedded systems programming) I don't feel so bad
about it sometimes getting the better of me, and remembering that
it has sometimes done so for a long time.

I'm hoping to work at least part time
where I work now for another 20 or so years. Yes, that's past full
social
security age, but most of the time I love that job.

You're a lucky woman, really

I don't currently know whether the funding will go for more than
another
2 years. I hope our DD gets through college during that time, she's
doing
rather well at it so far (we're talking on the order of 40k/year all
told
here, that's after her scholarship).
I'm glad I enjoy what I'm doing work-wise, otherwise the financial
pressure would have gotten to me already.

And I hope to cut some
hours way before then and make more beads, jewelry, grow plants, etc.-

I definitely want to make more beads and jewelry, but I'd like to take
some classes, too, like in precious metal clay (that stuff is too
expensive to experiment with g), and art/design.

there's got to be some online stuff for that too.
As lampwork goes, there's Joe (and Barry), (and thinking of it,
rather
close to you,) at http://www.justin.tv/avenuebeads ,
which I take over any class (being a visual learner) any time I
have time. - and I love their fusion frit. -

Say the word and I'm up for it *I'd even go off the "healthy eating"
for a day *Last summer, my doc told me I was borderline diabetic
(it's in my family) and needed to lose 15 pounds. *Since then, I've lost
40 pounds, walk a couple of miles a day, and dropped my blood sugar
about 30 points. *But "death by chocolate"...that's special

arrrggggghhhhh. I hate diabetes. My DH has type I diabetes, late
onset,
age 42, but I guess being insulin dependent from the onset may be
easier than thinking of having to come to terms with it later.

Just don't tell me you stopped being left handed and quit smoking
as well. I can deal with one or the other, but not both!
(and I could do without the "death by chocolate" if need be)

Hugs,
Maren
Old April 12th 09, 03:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Heather[_2_]

Hi Tina.......sorry to be so slow in answering, but have been paying for
my dentist's Ferrari, I think. Root canal.......ptui!!

I live just outside Toronto and my daughter lives in Vancouver BC. I
got her hooked on beading too, but she is a graphic artist and comes up
with some amazing stuff.

I retired from real estate sales, which I detested after 14 years, lol.
Used to work in criminal law and much preferred that. I am about a year
or two younger than Shirley, so am officially retired...and I have to
say that I much prefer retirement to working. I didn't really like
*bosses* much, so being on my own and beading is much better.

Sorry to hear about your depression. Is there nothing they can give you
for it??

Cheers and a Happy Easter......Heather

wrote in message
Hi Heather. Are you in BC? I used to live in Canada and loved it.

What did you retire from? I often refer to myself as retired, but am
actually disabled by Depression. My brain gets tired way too
quickly. Now I could be unhappy about it, but it's bad enough to have
the organic illness without compounding it with feeling melancholy.
Ironically, I have better mental health now than before this specific
illness raised it's ugly head.

I like seed-beading, but right now I just have so much bigger stuff
that I just need to use some of this stuff up so I can find the little
ones! The other problem with seed-beading is than if you hope to make
some profits, seed beading takes an awful lot of time and it's very
difficult to sell for a worthwhile price. Although just for the sake
of satisfaction, I really enjoyed the intricacy of seed beading.

I had hoped to place some of my floral pieces at the local nursery,
which also has a coffee shop, etc. I'll try again next month. I'd
even like to barter with my nurseryman, but when I was in it was his
manager I spoke to. Maybe next month.

Sorry to hear about your LBS. It's so much cheaper to shop on-line,
but it's very important for us to have that store as a resource -- for
selling or when we MUST have some item.

Tina

On Apr 2, 11:22 am, "Heather" wrote:
Hi Shirley...

I meant to answer the last roll call, but as a relative newbie to this
group, just put it off (duh!!). I do hope you are on the mend or at
least "holding your own". I had a bad Winter myself and hope I have
seen the back end of hospitals and antibiotics!!

I have gotten to "know" some of the names that you mention, but I was
just thinking the other day that it is such a shame that no one takes
advantage of the knowledge on this news group.

I am still plugging away and learning all sorts of different styles,
etc. I am afraid seed beading won't be one of them. My eyes are 'too
old', lol. But still working with copper and just got a load of it in.
I also love pearls and must make more up. My problem is with being
retired.....where on earth do I sell it? No office to show it off to,
local bead store shut down, and haven't decided if Etsy is the way to
go
yet.

Meanwhile one of the bead companies is making use of my 'eye for
proper
English' and I proof their website changes every week. Spell checkers
can't get a lot of it. I rarely use one, for that reason. Now I will
have to double-check this post, after being so bold as to say that.
(grin)

Glad to hear from you anytime. And would love to see all of the
lurkers
post an update or two.

All the best from Canada.....Heather

Old April 15th 09, 09:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
[email protected]

Default Donna Anderson

I hadn't heard anything about this. It must have been sudden. And
yes, I also wonder about the ones I don't hear from. I'm especially
concerned about Kathy NV. Any one hear from her?

Pete and I are both still disabled, still waiting for that engine to
make us rich, and still happy none the less.

Tina

On Apr 6, 7:22*pm, "Annie Bauer" wrote:
I am still out here puttering around with beads and such. Nice to see some
familiar names pop up on the roll call. Without meaning to come off as
morbid or anything, but when I heard that Dona Anderson had passed away last
week, I was reminded once again of the fragility of *life and though of
those of you that I have not seen post recently.

--
Annie
acbauer@sbcglobal

Old April 15th 09, 09:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
[email protected]

In '68 I was in Toronto getting advice from The Toronto Anti-Draft
Programme. We did get Landed Immigrant status, but eventually
returned to Calif. I'm afraid I'm still something of a hippy
(actually am more of one now than I was then). and sometimes feel like
being less supportive of soldiers than is politically correct. With
all the laws there are to "protect us from ourselves", you'd think
maybe we could outlaw military service. No, I'm not that far out
there, but I am a Pacifist. (And I did grow up in Calif).

I did Real Estate for a while. I enjoyed parts of it. I loved being
in peoples' houses. And I loved matching people to houses. But it
was hard for me to push people into things -- or lose sales to other
agents. Of course I didn't know that I had "Dysthymia" then. Low
level Depression. Just enough effect to cause my energy to run out
when I needed it most.

My Depression is organic and I'm pretty well adjusted to it. My
mental energy just runs out faster than it does for most. Thank
goodness I don't have Bipolar, and have to adjust to different levels
of energy. I went to Community Mental Health today and hope to see a
psychiatrist to see what new meds are out there. What I've tried in
the past seems to give me more side effects than help. The Thyroid
medicine is the only thing that's given me much help.

I'm hoping that with a black president who knows the statistics for
black men in prison, and with an outrageous rate of incarceration in
the States (ten times the rate in England!!) and not enough money in
the government coffers, we will have some changes in presumptive
sentences and what crimes we spend our tax dollars on. We have money
for lab work to test for traces of drugs, but not enough to spend
testing women who have been raped. Something is amiss.

I had an exceptional Justice professor who came to University of
Alaska from Yale. She went on to work with Community Oriented
Policing. A great program that I haven't heard much about for a long
time.

I have to say, though I wish I could work, I do enjoy beading, berry
picking, gardening, smoking salmon, etc.

Tina

Old April 15th 09, 09:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
[email protected]

You know, as I'm using my stash, I'm using some beads just for the
sake of using them. But I just decided to pull out the stuff with
wonky beads and bring them to the women's shelter rather trying to
sell them.

It's funny that I'm hearing so much about retirement. I was in my
40's when I first posted here and am in my 60's now. That would be 11
or 12 years.

Tina

On Apr 6, 10:20*pm, Carla wrote:
Hey Tina,

And I have beads that I got when I first started buying lampwork that
are colors (pastels) or styles (dots) that just aren't really my
thing. *I'm trying to put things like that together to sell even just
at cost. *I want to have only things that really WANT to use.

At one point, I had put together a big box of stuff to freecycle, then
at the last minute couldn't part with it; I keep thinking "Maybe I can
use this *some* how..." and the stash just keeps on growing

What are you retiring from? *(I know you've told me before). *And what
are you going to do after you retire? *Hope your assets are safe after
this economic mess.

I've been working at the University of Illinois for over 20 years; for
the past six as Office Administrator in an academic unit. *(Read:
secretary under too much pressure! g) *And other than my pension,
there aren't any assets to speak of anyway. *I'll have to look for a
part time job, and I'm hoping I can find something in one of the local
bead shops or craft stores. *If I *have* to work in an office, I want it
to be something like file clerk or data entry. *The main goal, though,
is to actually make and sell beads and jewelry

Good to see you're still here

Cheers,
Carla

Old April 15th 09, 10:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
[email protected]

I'm jealous of all your flowers and blossoms. (Sigh).

It's pretty wild where we are, but we're only about five miles from
town (ten from the hospital), and the native corporations have put
money into hospital facilities, so we have good care for the size of
town (about 60,00 in the greater/greatest Fairbanks area).

Glad things are good for you in DC. It's not a place it would occur
to me to choose to live. But then, I only know what I hear on the
news.

Tina

On Apr 5, 6:48*pm, wrote:
On Apr 2, 7:52*pm, wrote:

Susan, it's great to hear from you again. *And I hope you're still
around.

Why did you move back to DC? *I hope it was a good move for you.

Isn't being a grandma fun! *I still have just the one. *Victoria is 8
now and is on a running team in Sacramento. *She's the only white girl
in on her team. *And she's great. *Fast, etc. *Of course, her dad is a
runner too. *Now that he's over 40, he's in the Master Class, and went
to Nationals last December. *She goes to Montessori, thank goodness.
She was being kept so far below her potential for her first half of
First Grade it almost wrecked her ability to study and behave!!!

I saw Sooz in Berkeley, last Spring, but didn't get to see her when I
was down for my daughter's wedding in Aug/Sept or to be with my mother
in December after her injury. *At 85 we still can't convince her to
take normal care of herself.

We're still getting temps around zero most nights, but the days are
warmer, it's beautifully sunny, and the pussy willows are *starting to
come out -- *the first flowers of spring; you should smell them.

Tina

Hey, Tina. *We moved back to DC after 11 years in an idyllic country
setting. *We started to have health issues (DH is 72), and the one
time
I called 911 (for what turned out to be no big deal), it took them 30
min.
to get out to us. *We just felt we were not in a good place to "Grow
Old'
in. * :-) * Also, I had just fixed up our condo in DC to re-rent, but
when
DH saw it he said it was "too nice" to rent out anymore! *Great
complement!
So back we came, and we've found the city to be much nicer and
friendlier
than before. *A nice bonus!

We're in the midst of our annual Cherry Blossom Festival, and the
cherry
trees at the Tidal Basin are AMAZING!!! *We've got a lot in our
neighborhood
too, so we're really enjoying watching Spring Sprung! * :-) *There are
daffodils,
forsythia, hyacinth, pansies, tulips, camelias, azaleas, Bradford
pears, etc. etc!
A really pretty spring here.

Yes, grandmotherhood is AWESOME! *I highly recommend it. * :-)

Beady hugs, Susan in DC

Old April 17th 09, 12:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
[email protected]

On Apr 15, 5:05*am, wrote:

Glad things are good for you in DC. *It's not a place it would occur
to me to choose to live. *But then, I only know what I hear on the
news.

My husband was born here, I lived here from 2nd grade to high school
graduation, so it's "home" for both of us. If you're not in the
"local
industry" (i.e., government) then you don't have to have anything to
do
with it. It's just a nice cultural town with great art and
restaurants. :-)

Roll Call Sally Swindells Quilting 46 September 28th 07 08:48 PM
Roll Call Patti S Quilting 0 September 23rd 07 05:01 AM
Roll Call KathyB in West Oz Quilting 2 January 8th 05 04:03 AM
Another Roll Call The Brown Family Quilting 1 January 6th 05 01:33 PM
Roll Call Sherry Starr Quilting 0 January 6th 05 03:50 AM