REGAL made safety chains

Old November 24th 08, 01:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Rich[_2_]

Default REGAL made safety chains

I have several REGAL made safety chains made over 30 years ago. REGAL
were an English company. On the card the chains were on, it says,
"Sterling silver".

I dipped the chains in (30 year old) silver dip for about 5 minutes.

They are now bright, but some look decidedly yellowish. I don't get that
because of the wording on the card: "Sterling silver".

Does anyone know whether REGAL chains were in fact, sterling silver
plated?

Old November 24th 08, 01:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Peter W.. Rowe,

On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 16:45:31 -0800, in rec.crafts.jewelry "Rich"
wrote:

I have several REGAL made safety chains made over 30 years ago. REGAL
were an English company. On the card the chains were on, it says,
"Sterling silver".

I dipped the chains in (30 year old) silver dip for about 5 minutes.

They are now bright, but some look decidedly yellowish. I don't get that
because of the wording on the card: "Sterling silver".

Does anyone know whether REGAL chains were in fact, sterling silver
plated?

British hallmarking laws are much stricter than in the U.S. If a british firm
marks it sterling, you can pretty much trust that mark.

The silver dips chemically reduce silver and copper sulphides back to the
metallic form, but they don't do anything to actually repolish or fully restore
the original surface. Some discoloration can remain from remaining copper
oxides and because the surface doesn't have it's original polish. Try rubbing
the chains lightly with some actual silver polish (creme, or a rouge cloth, or
the like.) You'll find the color cleans up nicely.

Peter
Old November 24th 08, 06:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Rich[_2_]

news

wrote:

[...]

Now I remember. A guy who works as an engraver mentioned polishing when
I mentioned to him about the colour of the chains. I'm now pretty
confident I have solid sterling silver chains. Thanks.

Key Chains [email protected] Polymer Clay 0 April 7th 08 01:31 AM
Regal Tiger Cross Stitch Pattern from Dimensions Kit enonohio Needlework 0 April 17th 07 08:49 PM
Hand made chains pasternak Findings - Jewelry findings Jewelry 0 November 30th 06 03:58 AM
Gold chains Amjad96 Jewelry 0 June 26th 04 03:50 PM
AD: FINDINGS AND CHAINS AVAILABLE - REDUCTION FOR BULK Herosemineral Beads 1 January 29th 04 01:57 PM