how do you pick the category in a show?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 11th 03, 12:24 AM
Musicmaker

Default how do you pick the category in a show?

I entered my first show and THEY put me in the machine quilted category -
though the majority of the quilting was done by hand, not all of it was! I
machine quilted around my stars and in the border.

--
Lady Cynthia, Royal Musicmaker

http://photos.yahoo.com/cbet_99
http://www.one-eleven.net/~music/
Remember, once you get over the hill,
you'll begin to pick up speed.

"Ronnie Wexler" wrote in message
Your quilts are beautiful - no surprise they did great!

Ronnie

In article , susan kraterfield
wrote:

I went to the local fair to see the quilts last night, and I was

completely
bewildered by which categories people put things in.

If you machine pieced a mosaic 'picture' in squares, then applique a big
lacework thing over it, would you pick 'applique' or 'pieced'? (I

picked
applique)

And the boundary between "baby (smaller than twin)" and "wallhanging"

seems
a mighty fine line possible only visible to the beholder's eye. I guess

the
advantage is that since you can only make 1 entry in a category, it kind

of
gives you 2 for 1.

If you made a "baltimore" style applique of blocks and strip pieced the
border, what would you pick? the maker last night picked

"miscellaneous",
which made no sense to me; I would have picked applique since the
'baltimore' stuff seemed the dominant design element. "Miscellaneous"

is
always a tough category to win; and it seems like you're always

comparing
apples to oranges. It seemed to me the place for the yo-yos, the

wearable
quilts and others that aren't really 'flat', or maybe quilts or

patchwork
made of non-traditional materials, like natural rabbit skins.

BTW, my quilts did GREAT. One got 'champion' and the other got 'reserve
champion'. They are the 1st 2 quilts in the web site below if you're
interested in seeing them.
--
susan kraterfield
see my quilts: http://members.cox.net/kratersge

Show Report Gwacie Beads 3 January 18th 05 07:21 AM
Category change on eBay? Kalera Stratton Beads 32 October 14th 04 08:32 AM
Followup to day at the jewelry trade show Bungadora Beads 2 June 15th 04 04:19 AM
Carol Duvall Show - pass the word Nancy Handy Rubberstamps 6 March 5th 04 05:59 AM
Air Show Steve & Susan Wright Beads 0 July 18th 03 01:49 PM