Yet another thread All About Karen

Old March 12th 04, 01:12 AM
Karen C - California

Default Yet another thread All About Karen

We were watching the PBS special about the Carpenters, "Close to You". They're
selling the DVD for $120 and the DVD + CDs for $180.

The question arises, is the extra bonus 45 minutes on the DVD *really* worth
buying it for?

Are the CDs something only available from PBS, or could we get them for less
elsewhere?

Karen Carpenter, tragic loss at an early age

--
Finished 12/14/03 -- Mermaid (Dimensions)
WIP: Fireman's Prayer, Amid Amish Life, Angel of Autumn, Calif Sampler, Holiday

Paralegal - Writer - Editor - Researcher
http://hometown.aol.com/kmc528/KMC.html
Old March 12th 04, 06:08 AM
Anne (in Ellicott City, MD)

I have to respond here as a staunch supporter of PBS. You are not
"buying" the CDs or DVDs. You are donating money to the PBS station and
the CDs or DVDs are a thank you gift. Most of the gifts are available
elsewhere for purchase, but the idea is to support the PBS station.

Anne (in Ellicott City, MD)
who just Sunday put in 5 hours answering the phones for my PBS station
pledge drive.

Old March 12th 04, 12:52 PM
Caryn

I have to respond here as a staunch supporter of PBS. You are not
"buying" the CDs or DVDs. You are donating money to the PBS station and
the CDs or DVDs are a thank you gift. Most of the gifts are available
elsewhere for purchase, but the idea is to support the PBS station.

In some areas your local PBS station even has stores in malls where you can get
a lot of the same items they give as gifts during the fundraising.

Lots of other very cool stuff as well, including lots of stuff for kids
featuring various PBS kid show heros.

And you get to support your station by buying there, they just get less this
way than they would by direct donation.

Caryn
Blue Wizard Designs
http://hometown.aol.com/crzy4xst/index.html
Updated: 7/7/03 -- now available Dragon of the Stars
View WIPs at: http://community.webshots.com/user/carynlws (Caryn's UFO's)
Old March 12th 04, 03:16 PM
Karen C - California

In article m, "Anne (in
Ellicott City, MD)" writes:

You are not
"buying" the CDs or DVDs. You are donating money to the PBS station and
the CDs or DVDs are a thank you gift.

As someone who was once a member of three PBS stations at the same time, I'm
aware of that.

I am already a paid-up member for this year (through December), so this
wouldn't be the difference between becoming a member or not, but the difference
between spending $180 I don't have at PBS versus spending $30 I don't have at
Tower Records. At the moment, I'm not in a financial position to be blowing
$150 unnecessarily, no matter how good the cause. When I get back to work,
I'll also get back to supporting PBS at the $350 a year level.

Old March 12th 04, 07:00 PM
Cheryl Isaak

And if you add the numbnutz doing the Victory Garden....
I've not seen NOW - I usually reading to DD then.
Cheryl

On 3/12/04 12:49 PM, in article ,
"escapee" wrote:

The Jerry Baker thing is beyond my comprehension, so we agree there. I have
not
seen NOVA is a while, probably only once in the current season. I have no
opinion on that. However, it is a good cause if only one show is carrying a
message to those who are cluless. The down side in most cases with PBS is
that,
the people who watch shows like NOW already know!

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 12:33:12 -0500, Cheryl Isaak
opined:

I can't in good conscience, support PBS any more - they insist on showing
Jerry Baker - who I think is more than dangerous. That snake oil of his will
kill some one yet. And so many recent Novas haven't been science, but thinly
disguised attacks against the defense industry, nuclear power or NASA.

Cheryl

On 3/12/04 8:48 AM, in article
,
"escapee" wrote:

PBS doesn't SELL anything. They have offers in response to the level of
donation. It's a THANK YOU gift. We always send our money to them during
Bill
Moyer's NOW. We refuse the thank you gift. Let all the donation go to
support
that essential show.

On 12 Mar 2004 00:12:20 GMT,
S (Karen C - California)
opined:

Old March 12th 04, 10:16 PM
Cheryl Isaak

On 3/12/04 3:49 PM, in article ,
"Lucretia Borgia" wrote:

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 13:11:58 -0500, Cheryl Isaak
wrote:

On 3/12/04 1:02 PM, in article
,

wrote:

I can't in good conscience, support PBS any more - they insist on showing
Jerry Baker - who I think is more than dangerous. That snake oil of his
will
kill some one yet. And so many recent Novas haven't been science, but
thinly
disguised attacks against the defense industry, nuclear power or NASA.

Cheryl

There was a good Nova recently about the Swissair crash. I watched
that and found it a good programme. But you are right, it is not what
Nova's were say ten years, far less twenty years, ago.

I missed that one - over the last 3-5 years Nova has become very political.

Cheryl

This one was not. It was very well done. It detailed how they got
the pieces up, how they put them all back together and why the
decision was arrived at that it stemmed from the first class
entertainment system cables getting to flashpoint, how that started a
small fire which then went undetected for too long.

By the time smoke was coming into the cockpit, the game was already
over. There was nothing they could have done, so the theory that had
the pilot disobeyed the rule book and not come back over here to dump
fuel in the sea, he could have landed at Halifax safely was finally
debunked. I am sure his widow and kids are relieved.

It was very complimentary about Vic Gerden who headed the
investigation and about how he ran it, on and on though being
pressured by both the US and Canadian politicians, until he was
certain he really had the answer. However, very few (as usual) of
his serious recommendations for alterations to wiring in aircraft have
been attended to. Not much has changed.

I'll have to on the lookout for that one.

I got really peeved at the show in general for reporting as if one
particular view point on the "green house effect" as the only one.
Especially since there is many schools of thought on it; some even think we
are headed for an ice age soon (speaking in terms of geologic time) based on
reading the ice cores from Greenland and Antarctica.
There other one that annoyed the P*ss out of me was on the effectiveness of
the PATRIOT missile when the only "expert" consulted is a staff scientist
for a direct competitor of Raytheon. Not the Israelis, not Raytheon, not the
Army, but a MIT professor, with a highly paid position with another company.
He's since been thoroughly debunked, but the show still repeats.

Cheryl

Old March 12th 04, 11:48 PM
Cheryl Isaak

On 3/12/04 5:43 PM, in article ,
"Lucretia Borgia" wrote:

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 16:16:21 -0500, Cheryl Isaak
wrote:

On 3/12/04 3:49 PM, in article
,
"Lucretia Borgia" wrote:

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 13:11:58 -0500, Cheryl Isaak
wrote:

On 3/12/04 1:02 PM, in article
,

wrote:

[...]

Yes, that sort of thing is too bad and limits their credibility. But
don't you think that generally happens to a very good show? They go
on for years with excellent quality and then it is almost as if they
feel entitled to cruise because if they say it, it is so. God
syndrome ?

Several really "poor" (as in political or bad science) episodes in a row
really ruined the show for me. I'd love to see the ones from the 70's
through the late 90's in reruns. By 2001, it was a shadow of its former
self.
Cheryl

Old March 13th 04, 12:33 AM
Karen C - California

Cheryl, how many times do I have to tell you, either talk about Me,Me,Me or
change the header!

My SuperPowers must be fading, I can't even keep "All About Karen" all about
Karen. Where have I gone wrong?