I smell like chicken when I'm cooked and Sandblasted Beads!

Old July 8th 03, 06:42 AM
Dr. Sooz

and of course you know
about Mickelson and how he uses it in his work - really amazing stuff....
sigh....

Mickelsen, Robert A.: Mickelsen Studios
http://www.mickelsenstudios.com/
~~
Sooz
-------
ESBC
Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making
exciting discoveries. ~ A. A. Milne

Old July 8th 03, 03:17 PM
Steve & Susan Wright

Tink,
Here's a trick on burning yourself. It might not work on a severe burn but
it really works on most.
When you burn yourself from sticking your finger in the torch, picking up a
hot rod or a big glass jump, hold the burn next to the flame as close as you
can without hurting and doing further damage for 3 minutes. Your burn will
not get worse on the contrary it will not blister and it will not hurt, it
goes away. Steve has been doing this for 5+ years and it works. It will
not work on those burns where you cook your thumb by leaving it in a hot
torch to long but on those ones that blister normally.

Susan W

"Tink" wrote in message
For those of you who didn't know, I burned myself pretty badly on the

torch
recently. Ow. It was so bad that it didn't even blister. It's like my

finger
was flash-fried or something. Cooked several layers of flesh in much the
same manner as I cook pork chops: Hard as a rock. But it smelled like
chicken. LOL!

Anyway, that has kept me from the torch. The only time the finger hurts is
when I get it near heat, like the torch or hot water.

So to keep my easily bored little brain from glazing over, I tried
sandblasting last week! Ohmy! How cool is THAT??? I really need to get

some
pics taken for you guys, but first I have auction beads to ship and stuff.

won't even try to describe them, other than to say I will definitely be
doing more sandblasting.

The problem is that they are so labor intensive I don't know how I could
ever ask for them what they are worth in time alone.

--
Tinkster
www.imeltstuff.com

Old July 8th 03, 03:22 PM
Tink

That's wild! I wonder why it works.... Louis?

--
Tinkster
New Auctions, including sandblasted glass: http://tinyurl.com/fpei

thlink.net...

Old July 8th 03, 11:02 PM
Kandice Seeber

Oh, Tink, OUCH! You poor thing! (((((hugs))))) Glad you found the
sandblasting fun though.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Old July 9th 03, 12:18 AM
Barbara Otterson

On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 22:02:23 GMT, "Kandice Seeber"
wrote:

Oh, Tink, OUCH! You poor thing! (((((hugs))))) Glad you found the
sandblasting fun though.

I'm still giggling about smelling like chicken. I'm sorry about
the pain (really!), but I'm always burning myself. I have the
worst habit of trying to move a small part while I'm soldering
and burning off my fingernail because I forgot to pick
up the solder pick first. Fingernails don't smell like
chicken. My left thumb still has a tender place on it
from 2 months ago where I burned it like that. It just
got rock hard. Eventually it all peeled away. Now
it's very smooth. I didn't sniff it when it happened.
I wonder what I smell like cooked?
Barbara
Dream Master
www.dreamweaverstudio.com

"Do not spoil what you have, by desiring what
you have not; remember that what you now have
was once among the things only hoped for."

Old July 9th 03, 01:44 AM
Louis Cage

I have heard of putting a burn next to the fire, but Steve is the first to
claim to have tried it.
Personally, I never had the guts.
Curtiss Brock (furnace glassblower) told me once that nerves need oxygen to
operate so a good thing to do with a burn (at least from a comfort level) is
to immerse it in cool tap water. I have done that on several occasions,
and it does seem to work.
I did stick my hand in the flame once. Cooked me pretty good. Kept it
clean and bandaged, but allow air to circulate. It healed just fine,
although there was a scary part when I thought I was going to need skin
grafts.
Burns do get infected easily. Make sure to keep it clean and change the
bandages often.

--
There are no mistakes, only unexplored techniques

Old July 9th 03, 01:43 PM
Steve & Susan Wright

I've done it with cooking burns from grease by holding my hand near the
burner and it worked but is so much more difficult that next to a torch. I
tried it with a iron burn on my tummy and I couldn't hold the iron up that
long or that close without going spastic. If I weren't so spastic I
wouldn't have run the iron into my tummy in the first place. I stay away
from the torch because of that.

I've seen Steve do it hundreds of time over the last 8 years and it really
works! Heard of it from a blacksmith.

Susan W

.. .

Old July 10th 03, 03:35 AM
Barbara Otterson

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 19:44:46 -0500, "Louis Cage"
wrote:

Curtiss Brock (furnace glassblower) told me once that nerves need oxygen to
operate so a good thing to do with a burn (at least from a comfort level) is
to immerse it in cool tap water. I have done that on several occasions,
and it does seem to work.

That is always the first thing I do with a major
burn, find something large enough to immerse
the body part in and fill it with water and a
little ice. Then I keep the burned part in it
for an hour or two. By the time I take it out,
the worst is usually over. (depending on
the burn or course....). Unless I'm working,
of course, then I might forget to soak it until
I finish whatever has riveted my attention to
the point where I wasn't feeling the pain.
Then it all catches up much too quickly.
I also keep a large, healthy aloe plant
on a shelf in my laundry room. After the
burn has been appropriately soaked, I
cut off a leaf section and slit it open.
Then I tape it to the burn, juicy side
against the skin. The burns always
heal quickly and never get infected.
(knock on wood)

Old July 10th 03, 03:39 AM
Dr. Sooz

What Cheryl said! Jesus H. Christ!!

I really WISH people WOULD NOT POST THIS ADVICE
it is NOT GOOD ADVICE - and it is DANGEROUS..

the only reason it quits hurting is you are burning it more until the NERVE
ENDINGS DIE...
you aren't making it any better!

stop doing this!
Cheryl of DRAGON BEADS