New drapes arrived. 1/2 OT

Old October 19th 04, 02:45 PM
Susan Laity Price

Default New drapes arrived. 1/2 OT

Last January I started redecorating the master bedroom. It had been
years since it was painted. The oriental rug which had been in the
living room of our Victorian house is on the floor so that dictates
the colors. I found a wallpaper border I liked and picked a paint
color from the background of the border. I also bought two new chests
of drawers. The antique chest we had used for 32 years was pretty but
we never had drawer space for sweaters, etc.

Now I was stuck. The windows are high and wide. The bed fits best
under the window. What should I do about drapes. The blinds were only
a year old but the window needed softening. I decided I would hire a
decorator to help me finish this room and then we would start the
living room. I think I reported here my saga of finding a decorator.
One suggested that "we" buy plain bedding and fold the quilt on the
foot of the bed! I showed her the door.

I finally found someone I like. She works for a drapery company but
gives suggestions for the overall room. I decided to hire the company
to make the drapes in the bedroom as a gift to myself. She suggested a
fabric covered valance, sheers to the floor over the entire window and
a stationary fabric panel at each end that matched the valance. The
existing blinds would add the necessary privacy. She also suggested an
upholstered headboard. I went with the entire package. We chose
fabrics that were neutral in color but with lots of different
textures. To quote the decorator, "We don't want anything to compete
with your lovely quilts." (see why I like this one?) When I signed the
contract in early April she said the drapes would take 6 to 8 weeks.
They were delivered yesterday over seven months later.

The first fabric for the valance came in with a flaw so she called and
said she would not accept it. She reordered that fabric but found it
was out of stock. We chose another fabric the same color but with less
texture. It is OK but the valance is so big that additional texture
would have softened it. The braid trim is OK but it was suppose to
have two rows of braid. I accepted the order and had them installed
but did not pay all of the bill. I held a little out to negotiate the
lack of the second row of trim.

The overall look is great! Of course now I must make another quilt to
go with the new look. The current quilt is several years old. It is
still in good shape and I will keep it as an alternate. I need to make
a light colored quilt for spring and summer. A new dark quilt for
winter would make the entire room look great. The sheers are the real
trick. They are opaque so let in the light but camouflage the
horizontal line of the high window. All of the draping serves as a
frame for the upholstered headboard. The entire grouping serves as a
backdrop for the quilt.

When I came to bed last night I found a mint on my pillow. My husband
said that the room now looks like a fancy hotel so he thought a mint
was appropriate. Guess he approves. Maybe I can get by with giving him
the new quilt for a Christmas gift. Good idea I had not thought of
until just now.

Susan
Old October 19th 04, 03:53 PM
Barbara Raper

Congratulations on getting the bedroom "just right!"
Barbara in FL

Old October 19th 04, 08:33 PM
Sandy Foster

In article ,
Susan Laity Price wrote:

Last January I started redecorating the master bedroom. I

It sounds gorgeous, Susan! Congratulations on finding just the right
decorator.
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1