Rug Ideas

Old August 6th 07, 01:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Leah

Default Rug Ideas

Hesira

I've been thinking about knitting or crocheting a rug for my bathroom
and would like to ask your advice on a couple of things.

I found when doing a flat rectangular piece that knitting is thinner
than crochet. Advantages in a bathroom are that it would dry quicker.
Disadvantages are that it may not absorb as much water as you are
hoping. If you have a thicker rug and are in a humid area, mildew
might become an issue if your bathroom gets a lot of use and stays
moist, meaning you'd have to wash the rug more often.

I was thinking of using bulky cotton yarn or fabric strips. I'd
rather the yarn because I don't want to have to cut up all that
fabric. However, I think the fabric strips would make a sturdier
rug.

You can use bulky cotton and knit it and end up doing a rather
substantial piece if you don't want to work a flat back and forth
piece. Make long lengths of I-cord in knitting in any color scheme
you want and sew them together into the desired shape after. It's
similar to a fabric braided rug. You can switch colors randomly as
you work or go with a definite color sequence in mind. You can make
round, oval, and square rugs depending on how you sew the completed
lengths together. I suppose you could do the same thing with long
crochet strips. I'd do it using DC stitches, since my sc tends to
curl into spirals if I do it tightly, and I'd want my rug stitches to
be tight if I made a rug for the bathroom.

If I use cotton yarn does anyone have suggestions on brands or
weight? I'd like it to be on the heavy side and absorbancy and
minimum slippage are important. If you have a yarn you like for this
kind of project, where did you get it? I will have to order mine on
line (no LYS).

Can't help you with brands and weights of yarn or fabric. It really
depends on what you want the finished product to look like texture
wise. For having a non-slip back, you can sew rubber rug backing to
it or use Saf-T-Bak which is brush on rug backing.

Lastly, I would like a good choice of colors, as I am trying to
coordinate with my decor.

FWIW, a store by me sold out its supply of sturdy rug yarn as they
went out of business. I bought nearly all their remaining stock in a
variety of colors. However, I used it for colorful indoor summer
sandals I designed myself. They slid around on the non-carpeted
floors (so a rug made of it would, too) until I put non-slip backing
on, so if I made a rug out of the rug yarn, I'd want to back it with
something so it would stay in place on my uncarpeted floors.

HTH

Leah
Old August 6th 07, 05:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Jan[_2_]

Thanks, Hesira. It's 27" wide and 54" long all garter stitch worked on 2
strands. I used 4 different yarns to produce the varied color stripes.
It's 85 stitches wide, 304 rows long and done on size 10 1/2 needles.
Although the photo was taken on the living room carpet, I have it on a tile
floor in the bathroom. There is some slipperiness which hasn't been a
problem for me yet but I may need to put something under it.

--
Jan in MN

"hesira" wrote...
That's really beautiful, Jan. Would you mind sharing needle size and
how many you cast on? DId you work from the short side or long side?
Is it garter stitch? Does it go on a tile floor, or carpeted, which
leads to my next question, any problems with slipperinees?

Questions, questions. LOL. If you don't ask, you won't learn.

Hesira

On Aug 5, 8:09 pm, "Jan" wrote:
Guess what? I just finished knitting a rug for my bathroom last week. I
used Red Heart and Caron acrylic yarns (didn't think of using fabric
strips)
because they were the only ones I found with the right colors. If you
hop
over to Yarners, you can see a picture there. I had done both knitted
and
crocheted swatches and liked the appearance of the knitted better. But I
think crocheting might give you a firmer fabric.

--
Jan in MN

"hesira" wrote

Hi Everyone,

I've been thinking about knitting or crocheting a rug for my bathroom
and would like to ask your advice on a couple of things.

I was thinking of using bulky cotton yarn or fabric strips. I'd
rather the yarn because I don't want to have to cut up all that
fabric. However, I think the fabric strips would make a sturdier
rug.

I am proficient in either knitting or crochet, but does anyone think
one method is superior to the other in this instance.

If I use cotton yarn does anyone have suggestions on brands or
weight? I'd like it to be on the heavy side and absorbancy and
minimum slippage are important. If you have a yarn you like for this
kind of project, where did you get it? I will have to order mine on
line (no LYS).

Lastly, I would like a good choice of colors, as I am trying to
coordinate with my decor.

Thanks a million!

Hesira

ideas please Janner Quilting 8 March 3rd 06 11:14 AM
Need Ideas Kim McAnnally Needlework 8 May 21st 05 01:21 AM
I need some ideas Susan Carey Yarn 10 March 23rd 05 01:28 PM
Ideas anyone? I'm not sure... Charlie Quilting 7 September 29th 04 09:31 PM
OT ideas Michael Curtis Quilting 5 July 20th 04 03:49 AM