Bead Advice Needed!

Old May 13th 04, 11:47 AM
Beadbimbo

Amen to that, Stalia!
--
Jerri
www.beadbimbo.com

"starlia" wrote in message
That's the very reason I don't even look at beads on eBay or on WC hardly
any more. I just do what I do. I don't think anyone could make goddesses
like you do though.

Old May 13th 04, 11:49 AM
Beadbimbo

Lol. Would I care? She might see that I was thinking about my response
carefully, rather than jumping off the handle.

--
Jerri
www.beadbimbo.com

"Candace" wrote in message
Um, if this person is a lampwork artist, is there possibly a chance that

she
could lurk here? And see this thread?

~Candace~ your local hemp goddess

Old May 13th 04, 11:52 AM
Beadbimbo

Thanks Kandice,

This person isn't a friend, just someone who bought a couple of beads a
couple of years ago. Talking to you all helped because I was feeling like a
hypocrite that it was bothering me.

--
Jerri
www.beadbimbo.com

Well, Jerri - your pregnant goddesses are completely unique. I think that
your friend has some nerve to even be asking. It's a hard question, and I
completely understand why you would be feeling this way about it.
Personally, I think your goddess beads are your signature beads, and

people
have no right to copy them for sale. However, I can understand how hard

that
may be to tell a friend. Jerri - if you feel at all bothered by this, you

do
have the right to ask her not to completely copy your design. I've never
seen anyone else do these pregnant goddess beads. If I were you, I would
tell your friend that copying is only okay if she is going to give them
away. Selling them would be crossing a line. Ask her to come up with her
own design that would be appropriate to sell to pregnant woman, etc. And

if
her friends must have a pregnant goddess, ask your friend to send them to
you. She shouldn't have copied your style in the first place without
asking. That style is too unique.
I understand that some designs are widely done and not as unique, but in
this case, this is your signature design.
(((((((hugs)))))))) I know how hard this must be, though, and I wish you
lots of luck.
--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Old May 13th 04, 12:04 PM
Beadbimbo

Thanks Su,

I used to read some beads sites and saw people ripping folks apart for
copying. I wanted to say, "Guess what folks, just because you saw it on
ebay, doesn't mean it hasn't been done before." I was doing cartoon-like
animals before I'd ever heard of Sharon Peters, and mine are very similar to
hers.

I definitely don't own the goddess idea.

Jerri
www.beadbimbo.com

snip
I'm sympathetic to your feelings on the matter. It's not easy to
distinguish between inspiration and copying, but ask yourself where you've
seen pregnant goddesses, and what you got from those images?

There's a very well-known designer in the needlework industry who pretty
much has the market for 'angels' or women in big swirly dresses cornered.
Hardly any one will design an 'angel' for fear of um... intruding... into
her 'territory'. Which means that a lot of designs get suppressed by the
creators for fear of being made to feel as if they are thieves of a

concept
that is as old as time too.

I just wanted to give a different perspective on this issue. If one

person
corners a design concept, such as goddesses or dragons or fish or cows,

then
were does everyone else go?

-Su

--
My Floating Needle blog at:
http://www.floatingneedle.co.uk

Old May 13th 04, 12:15 PM
Beadbimbo

Uh, I meant Amen to the part about ebay and WC!

--
Jerri
www.beadbimbo.com

"Beadbimbo" wrote in message

Amen to that, Stalia!
--
Jerri
www.beadbimbo.com

Old May 13th 04, 12:27 PM
Su/Cutworks

Jerri wrote:

I used to read some beads sites and saw people ripping folks apart for
copying. I wanted to say, "Guess what folks, just because you saw it on
ebay, doesn't mean it hasn't been done before." I was doing cartoon-like
animals before I'd ever heard of Sharon Peters, and mine are very similar

hers.

I definitely don't own the goddess idea.

What you do with it is unique and very good. If someone else takes fire
from that and does it badly, it won't hurt your work. If they take fire
from you and do it well, then it's to your credit that you inspired them.

Some people will rip people apart for any reason and some people will
realize that there are many levels to creativity. Scanning in a famous
painting and spitting out a chart of it isn't very creative, but there are
thousands of people who buy such things. Looking at a bead and trying to
imitate it may be the same level of work, no originality whatsoever. But
what sense of creative accomplishment does that provide? And which is more
important?

I'd be happier if what I did inspired people to create their own. I'd be
sad if someone just took an idea and used it as a quick way to make some
money. The big thing there is that the person who can't be creative but
must copy won't be an artist, only a mechanic.

-Su

Old May 13th 04, 03:54 PM
starlia

I knew that. :-)

"Beadbimbo" wrote in message
Uh, I meant Amen to the part about ebay and WC!

--
Jerri
www.beadbimbo.com

"Beadbimbo" wrote in message

Amen to that, Stalia!
--
Jerri
www.beadbimbo.com

Old May 13th 04, 06:55 PM
roxan

You can always make them a little different so it isn't exactly the same. I
see no problem with doing it.
Roxan
"Beadbimbo" wrote in message
I'm behind on things, and have a bunch of posts to catch up on, but
something is really bothering me. I NEVER thought I'd be in this

position.
Here's a part of a post from someone who bought a couple of beads from me

while back:

...........Anyway, I had a question. Recently, my friend told me that

she
was pregnant and I happened to be on the torch at the time she called me

and
I made my own (crummy in comparison) version of your pregnant goddess bead
to give to her. Well, since then, a few people have seen it and thought
they would make great gifts for their pregnant friends. I just want to

know
if it's okay with you or if I should just send them to your website

instead?
I don't want to step on any toes or rip off someone's design. I would

feel
terribly guilty if I was doing something that wasn't okay with you to do.

've listened to Sharon Peters complain about that very thing strongly and

know it's a sensitive subject for a lot of people. I just want to know
either way. I won't be disappointed if you say no, and I've told the

people
asking for them that I would get in touch with you before I went ahead and
made them. Just let me know when you have a spare minute.

I really hate to re-hash the copying thread, but.............. what would
you say? I guess I'm tired, but I just don't know. Yes, it does bother

me,
but I don't feel like I have the right to tell someone what to do. She
might take the design in a new direction and more power to her. At least
she was nice enough to ask.

I usually feel like there's nothing new under the sun. I've gone through
phases where I didn't want to see another bead because I didn't want to be
accused of copying someone. I've seen people get associated with a bead,
when I know someone else has done the same thing for years.

Then again, I've felt like these beads were my babies (arr. arr.) and I
don't like someone else stealing them!

--
Jerri
www.beadbimbo.com

Old May 13th 04, 06:58 PM
roxan

Sorry, I misread this. I would have her refer to your site to sell them, but
there isn't much you can do if she decides to make them, but it was nice
that she asked.
Roxan