Hardening Copper Bangles?

Old January 13th 05, 05:09 AM

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 16:03:50 GMT, vj wrote:

vj found this in rec.crafts.jewelry, from
:

]Why not? Sterling Silver is, what, 7 or 8 percent copper?

i've been corrected. but that's the way they do it at the school.

]Iron now, that's a whole different story.

gods, i don't even want to go there!
[can we say itty-bitty-tiny stainless steel shot?]

Can we say 'pink'?
Can we say 'lots of time at the buffing wheel'?

Yeah.

--RC

"Sometimes history doesn't repeat itself. It just yells
'can't you remember anything I've told you?' and lets
fly with a club.
-- John W. Cambell Jr.
Old January 13th 05, 09:09 AM
vj

vj found this in rec.crafts.jewelry, from
:

]Can we say 'pink'?
]Can we say 'lots of time at the buffing wheel'?
]
]Yeah.

yeah!
it's AMAZING what those little bitty cones can hang onto that you
can't SEE until it's too late.

--
@vicki [SnuggleWench]
(Books)
Old January 14th 05, 04:28 AM
vj

vj found this in rec.crafts.jewelry, from "Peter W.. Rowe,"
:

]If you do find this, there's a quicker fix. Mix some fresh pickle. Often, strong new
]pickle will all on it's own slowly dissolve a light copper flash if given some time.

yes, after i screwed it up, i did that.
but i'm not exactly known for my patience, either!

Old January 14th 05, 04:28 AM
vj

vj found this in rec.crafts.jewelry, from "Peter W.. Rowe,"
:

]Will also remove the copper color that brass or bronze (nu gold, etc)
]is left with after soldering or annealing, restoring the color of the underlying metal.

definitely need to get some!

[part of the problem with the pickle we WERE using was the content of
our local water!]

Old January 14th 05, 04:28 AM
ted.ffrater

Peter W.. Rowe, wrote:
On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 21:08:17 -0800, in |õ wrote:

]Iron now, that's a whole different story.

gods, i don't even want to go there!
[can we say itty-bitty-tiny stainless steel shot?]

Can we say 'pink'?
Can we say 'lots of time at the buffing wheel'?

Yeah.

If you do find this, there's a quicker fix. Mix some fresh pickle. Often, strong new
pickle will all on it's own slowly dissolve a light copper flash if given some time. If
you want considerably more oomph and speed, add some hydrogen peroxide to the pickle.
The 20 percent solution you can buy in beauty supply shops works a lot better than the
almost non-existant (2%) dilution you get at the drug store as a disinfectant, though
even that will sort of work, though more slowly. Note that the hydrogen peroxide is not
stable, in this mix, and breaks down after a fairly short while. it's good for about a
day, more or less, depending on the temp of the pickle pot, and how much peroxide you
add. But this will quickly and neatly remove that copper flash without affecting your
silver or gold. Will also remove the copper color that brass or bronze (nu gold, etc)
is left with after soldering or annealing, restoring the color of the underlying metal.

Peter

Your first line mid sentence,
mix some fesh pickle,
now there are lots of formule for this.
Ive never used hydrogen peroxide,
as an additive to a pickle and would like to try it.
BUT im always careful mixing up something i dont know about.
Any suggestions on your =
Mix some fresh pickle?
begore I blow up my workshop.
HTP and aniline is a good rocket fuel.
Joking aside
what is the best mix to go with 20/% h/peroxide?
Old January 14th 05, 08:36 AM

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 04:28:29 GMT, vj wrote:

vj found this in rec.crafts.jewelry, from "Peter W.. Rowe,"
:

]Will also remove the copper color that brass or bronze (nu gold, etc)
]is left with after soldering or annealing, restoring the color of the underlying metal.

definitely need to get some!

[part of the problem with the pickle we WERE using was the content of
our local water!]

Here in the desert, I use distilled/demineralized water to make up my
pickle. Cheap enough, considering.

Old January 14th 05, 04:22 PM
vj

vj found this in rec.crafts.jewelry, from
:

]Here in the desert, I use distilled/demineralized water to make up my
]pickle. Cheap enough, considering.

yes - that's what we've switched to.

Old January 15th 05, 09:09 AM
Chris Hackett

Go to www.reactivemetals.com and view there data sheets they have a few
recipes.

Chris

A sort of OT question on copper Karen_AZ Beads 6 July 6th 04 12:00 AM
problems with glass beads oregano Glass 14 June 4th 04 05:40 PM
Mixed media - copper and stained glass - need various petina's Lori Hurt Glass 19 March 26th 04 05:42 AM
Sparex pickle Don Robinson Jewelry 9 February 18th 04 02:49 AM
Pearls and Copper Valerie Beads 4 August 5th 03 02:05 AM