Books

Old May 18th 04, 09:48 PM
Karin Cernik

I have all those. :-) You do know that Flameworking is primarily
directed to boro, right? Very cool anyway... and someday I hope to be
able to try that out.

Passing the Flame is definitely the best in terms of actual directions.
The Art and Soul of Glass Beads is good inspirational eye candy. The
Cindy Jenkins book (if it's the bigger one) is also more eye candy -
supposedly instructional, but doesn't really have enough detail (at
least for me.) ('make a round bead - you'll have trouble at first, but
just keep practicing.' Uh-huh.... how about some tips on what to do to
fix the problem?) Contemporary Lampworking - I like that one better
than James Kervin's, but I'm probably the only person who does. :-)

my uninformed .02 worth... :-)

Karin

Su/Cutworks wrote:

I've ordered a heap of books:

Passing the Flame
The Art and Soul of Glass Beads by Susan Ray
Contemporary Lampworking by B S Dunham
Flameworking by Elizabeth Ryland Mears and
Making Glass Beads by Cindy Jenkins.

Old May 18th 04, 10:16 PM
Su/Cutworks

Starlia wrote:

I am so excited for you both. I would love to see how you arrange the

boat
to fit the studio aka the workbench.

It will go into a shed on our mooring. We live in such tight quarters I
couldn't imagine fitting anything else inside the boat. As it is, we had it
extended last year to get to the maximum length for the canal system, simply
to get a second bedroom, a closet and a workroom/dining room.

Of course, the boat will be full of the results of the workbench, I hope. I
know that my husband has some real talent as an artist, I hope it translates
to glass.

Thanks for the help and the good wishes. I'll post a link to pictures when
we do get things rolling.

-Su

--
My Floating Needle blog at:
http://www.floatingneedle.co.uk

Old May 18th 04, 10:38 PM
Su/Cutworks

Karin wrote:

I have all those. :-) You do know that Flameworking is primarily
directed to boro, right? Very cool anyway... and someday I hope to be
able to try that out.

Well, it's better to read about it before buying up all sorts of stuff that
may not be suitable. And I like looking at books. :-) I figure that
there's going to be something of use in almost any book.

Passing the Flame is definitely the best in terms of actual directions.

From what I've seen on sites, this sounds like the best for basics. The
problem is that we're dealing with someone who teaches art so he has certain
umm.. erm.. how do I say this without a divorce pending? :-) He's talented
and very good at a number of disciplines and wants to try his hand at
something new, and feels that glass may be that thing. I'm happy to just
have him doing something other than grumble.

As for them being eye candy, I love looking at anything and trying to
figure out how they did it. And there are so many superb examples I've seen
already the books will only give me some more to think about, and possibly
solve one or two mysteries. I don't have the same faith in my potential as
a bead maker, as I'm a needleworker, but I'm willing to give it a try. And
to give himself something new to fuss with. If he polishes the brass
portholes once more they may fall out from being too thin!

-Su

Old May 19th 04, 04:14 AM
Kalera Stratton

Awesome! You'll love it!

I need to get that Dunham book myself... let me know what you think of it!

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

Su/Cutworks wrote:
Kalera wrote:

I think it's worth it... I recommend it very, very highly. It covers, in
concise, step-by-step instructions WITH PHOTOS, all of the
building-block techniques beadmakers need to reach intermediate levels
of beadmaking. It's like a class in a book, really.

I ordered it by phone from one of the sites recommended to me. Most of the
places I found mention of it were click-throughs to Amazon and the book is a
special order, so I looked until I found somewhere with it in stock and
willing to actually answer their phone. It's coming via Global Priority mail
and we should see it within the week.

There is an off chance that you'll be able to get it cheaper used though
amazon.co.uk, but sinc there aren't a lot of beadmakers over there I
guess that's not a good one to count on. Maybe also keep an eye on major
supply houses in the US... I've seen the book on sale before.

It's not even available in the UK on Amazon unless I want to wait 4-6 weeks!

I've ordered a heap of books:

Passing the Flame
The Art and Soul of Glass Beads by Susan Ray
Contemporary Lampworking by B S Dunham
Flameworking by Elizabeth Ryland Mears and
Making Glass Beads by Cindy Jenkins.

It's himself who wants the info and is willing to foot the bill so I happily
ordered the books. We're hoping that one or both of us take to lampwork and
find it a way to work into a new career eventually. I know it's like any
art or craft, some people do famously at it, others make a living and some
never take off. But if you don't jump, you can't fly.

Thanks for the info and encouragement.

-Su

Old May 19th 04, 05:48 AM
Black Cat Beads

Kalera,

If you are talking about Contemporary Lampworking by Bandhu Dunham.. I have
Volumes I and II. I was thinking of selling them. They are practically
Brand Spanking new.

Nicole
**********************************
Check out all my new Lampwork!!!
http://www.blackcatbeads.com

http://www.stores.ebay.com/blackcatbeads
**********************************
Yahoo IM: blackcatbeads

news

Old May 19th 04, 05:55 AM
starlia

Nicole,

Did you find the books useful? Mundane? Interesting and helpful? I was
contemplating purchasing them but I haven't had any feedback.

Starlia Klopman
www.klopmanstudios.com

Old May 19th 04, 06:02 AM
Black Cat Beads

They had ALOT of useful information. But mostly about small sculpture
blowing and such.

I learned bunched about glass form these books.

Nicole
**********************************

Old May 19th 04, 11:10 PM
Kandice Seeber

If you are a beginning or even intermediate beadmaker looking for a book on
technique with full color pictures, this book is well worth every penny. I
adore my copy!

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Hi, again, it's just me, the nosey one!

I've ordered a few books from the UK for the husband, and am debating on
ordering 'Passing the Flame' from the US.

It looks like a very useful book but I'm not sure it's going to be worth
paying $75 for the book and another $25(!!!) for shipping from the

author's
website.

Anyone have any comments before I put that much money into a book?

Thanks.

-Su

--
My Floating Needle blog at:
http://www.floatingneedle.co.uk

Book Reviews: Bead Crochet Books EL Beads 2 February 25th 04 09:25 AM
Last Chance for Keith's books Kandice Seeber Beads 2 January 15th 04 02:25 AM
Books on design? Ken Knecht Beads 1 November 12th 03 10:57 PM
AD: Polymer and Bead/Jewelry Books For Sale on Website Lori Greenberg Beads 13 November 12th 03 05:50 AM
Lark Books Call For Artists: Found Object Jewelry Tink Beads 0 October 21st 03 11:35 PM