anyone know what this is?

Old February 26th 06, 05:04 PM
ajt86 ajt86 is offline
Junior Member

Default anyone know what this is?

hello, when my grandmom died we were going through her things and in her craft room we found this wooden thing. it looks to be hand made. no one in my family can figure out what it is. she did alot of sewing and yarn work. any help would be apreciated. thank you

so i dont take up band width i posted it on a buick message board heres the link. thanks so much

http://www.turbobuicks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=47350
Old February 28th 06, 04:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing

--
ajt86

If your grandmother crocheted doilies, I think that it was designed to
hold the ball of crochet cotton. It is wound in a ball around a ring
of hard cardboard with a hole on each end. The thread unwinds from the
outside, not like knitting yarn which you draw from the center. As you
pull on the thread, it has a tendency to fall onto the floor and roll
across the room, which four footed furry creatures living in the house
love to chase.

She would have fixed the hole on the bottom of the ball over the bump
on the top then put the stand low on her left side, perhaps on the
floor. The thread would be angled for easy tugging, but remain fixed.

Old March 2nd 06, 03:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing

What a delightful puzzle that was! Thank you for your answer!

-Pora

Old March 2nd 06, 06:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing

My mother once told me that during her pre-marriage WWII years she did
a lot of needlework in the evenings. Her kid brother had a mixed
something -and -golden retriever dog named Bunny which I barely
remember from my early years. Bunny (she liked carrots) would lie on
the floor in wait for the ball of crochet cotton. Once the cardboard
spool was emptied, she would look up for approval, then pounce on it.

And the moral of the story is to tell your children the little things,
you never know when they might be useful.......