Vintage stash additions - Beldings & Corticelli brands

Old March 5th 04, 06:17 PM
Laury Walkey

Default Vintage stash additions - Beldings & Corticelli brands

The other day I was just coming out of a local used bookstore where I
had just purchased some needleworking books and walked past the
'vintage' used clothing store down the street. I happened to notice in
the window a box of embroidery threads and just had to ask if it was for
display or for sale. It was for sale and for only $8.95 CDN. Yippee!

When I got it home I realized it was chock full of vintage threads which
someone had at one time tried to use some to make those knotted
friendship bracelets, so some of the brand and color tags are missing.
But there was a fair amount of vintage Anchor and DMC skeins virtually
unused, I'd say. They are quite old and some of the numbers don't match
with my current floss lists.

Also in the box was what appeared to be old shop stock of the Beldings
brand of 4 strand rayon floss. There are about 18 different colors and
some are still in their original bundles. There are also a few packages
of Artsyl Rope in their original wrapping and Corticelli floss skeins.

The packaging makes me thing these are from the 1950s and they have been
kept clean and well-stored in the meantime.

I'm going to be thinking of projects to use some of the floss on as
there is so much of several of the colors. I think I'll be saving some
of it for a souvenir, though. :-)

--

Laury

Any genealogical data of my own compilation which is contained in, or
attached to, this email is for your interest only. It is not to be
sold, shared or published in any manner including, but not limited to,
online, in print or in any digital medium. Thanks kindly.

Old March 5th 04, 07:05 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Belding had such high quality threads. I still have a set of sewing
threads and silk buttonhole twist. Miss those wooden spools! Art Silk
.. . . grin . . . the rayon of its day. I have a few from the turn of
the century. Can't bring myself to use them.

These items may well have been purchased in the 1950's, since much of
this was still available during that period - even if the stock was
older. Many of these threads have been around a very long time.

Dianne

Old March 6th 04, 07:22 AM
Maureen In Vancouver, B.C.

I have some thread that was my grandmothers. It is still in it's original
wrapping and it says Corticelli Silk Co. Ltd. Patented July 17, 1894. I
don't want to use it, but keep it as a keepsake from the grandmother I never
met.

Maureen

Old March 7th 04, 07:05 PM
Laury Walkey

Yes, the Belding's is in excellent condition even if the box they were in has
seen better days! I think it would be a shame not to use a little of the
rayon on a project as that was what it was made for, after all. I still give
a giggle every time I see the label: BOIL PROOF.

Anyone up for boiling their fine cross stitch project after it's taken 5 years
to finish? ;-

Cheers,

Laury