Hawaiian Hardanger?

Old March 16th 12, 02:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Liz from Humbug

Default Hawaiian Hardanger?

Anyone have any ideas? My nephew (21 in April) just married "a
wonderful Hawaiian girl" (my sister's words, which is a good beginning
for a new mother in law) :-) just got married last weekend and they
are expecting a baby in August. I am going to do a Watercolours Lace
Tabletopper for the new wife but have changed my mind about the
fibers. I thought I was going to use Sullivan's Overdye Perle Cotton
but, after doing a few stitches, I've decided that I HATE doing
tabletoppers with two threads. I've already chosen the Caron
Watercolour that I want to use for the tabletopper but now I'm
thinking that the Perle cotton could be beautiful in some kind of
Hardanger project. I'm not sure "new wife" is at all into needlework
but, because Johnny grew up with it around the house, I know it will
at least be taken care of. :-))

I did a search for "Hardanger and Hawaiian" but, naturally, didn't
come up with anything other than trips to Hawaii for people living in
Hardanger, Norway. :-)) I know I can make up something but thought
I'd check here instead of reinventing the wheel if I don't have
to. :-) The overdye is very colorful, which is why we thought it would
give the tabletopper sort of a Hawaiian touch. If not, I can always
use it for something later but I thought it was worth asking "those
who know all". :-)

I'm not sure when I'm going to get to it but the baby gift will be
MLI's Baby in a Basket, that I bought (on sale, even) a gazillion
years ago and was rather amazed that I was able to find it when I
wanted it. :-)

Thanks!
Liz from Humbug
Old March 16th 12, 11:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 3/15/12 10:11 PM, Liz from Humbug wrote:
[...]

Ozark Sampler had a Hawaiian design I think could be adapted to a table
topper.
Also

http://www.123stitch.com/Cross_Stitc...ts_Hawaii.html

A while back I gave my mom a book of Hawaiian flowers - I'll see if she
can find it for a title and designer

Cheryl
Old March 16th 12, 12:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
bobbieviorritto

On 3/15/2012 10:11 PM, Liz from Humbug wrote:
[...]

There are a few free Hawaiian Quilt pattern motifs that might be adapted
to hardanger. My Japanese DDIL does pillows using these designs. They
are mostly botanical in nature.

http://www.quiltshawaii.com/freepattern.html

http://www.quiltshawaii.com/freexs.html

The above site has a cross stitch chart and quilt patterns that you may
be able to use. Also read the home page for some of the history about
the origins of the Hawaiian quilt.

HTH Bobbie Viorritto
Old March 16th 12, 03:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Tia Mary

Maybe you could find some sort of pattern that resembles a pineapple?
I've seen any number of hardanger designs that look sort of
"pineapple-ish" to MOI :-))). If you do a regular xs design in the
center of the topper, any sort or orchid would do or an anthurium which
is the state flower. Other simple xs motifs that would work would be
coconut palms, pikake or hibiscus flower or sea shells. I have a ton
of Hawaiian xs designs that could be used in the center of a topper but
they are packed away still :-(. Many of the Hawaiian quilt block
designs would translate beautifully to hardanger, I think. Just FYI,
the state bird is the Nene -- a VERY endangered goose and the coconut
palm "leaves" are different from a date palm. Also, each of the islands
has a representative color but I don't know exactly what they are -- you
might ask your nephew if he knows which island the young woman is from
and what that island color is. Some sort of petroglyph design would
also work and could easily be translated to hardanger.
Keep us posted, OK? I'm sure the others will be as interested as I
am to know what you finally decide on :-). I'll keep noodling my brain
and see if I can't remember other stuff that would be useful as Hawaiian
designs. I've been to the Islands many, many times and am surprised I
can't think of more stuff that might be useful! Been toooooo long since
DH and I went -- I'll have to start nagging him about that -- LOLOL!
CiaoMeow ^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary /\___/\

Old March 19th 12, 03:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Liz from Humbug

On Mar 16, 8:34*am, Tia Mary wrote:
[...]

Thanks to all! I discovered that the overdye perle cotton WILL work
for the Anne Cloth if I only use one strand but the colors are still
yelling "Hardanger" to me. :-) Do you really think it's safe to do
"pineapples"?? :-)))))) (Thinking of old posts in the late 70s about
pineapples and tomato throwing) :-) I've done part of one side with
the Jester overdye on a purple piece of Anne Cloth and am really happy
with it. I would do more but have to wait until the purple #12 perle
cotton comes in so I can Nun Stitch the edge and cut the fringe before
the fabric ravels too much. It's not like I don't have anything else
to stitch in the mean time. :-) I also found two neat books for the
baby in a few years. I don't remember the author off the top of my
head but they a "When I am Quiet on Maui" and "When I am Quiet on
Oahu", with more to come in the future. I haven't actually seen one
yet in person but may order them once Baby is born in August.

Comment from a proud aunt - if you're in Hawaii, near Kailua Kona,
take a trip with Aloha Kayaks and ask for John Nerney! :-)

Liz from Humbug

Old March 20th 12, 12:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gillian Murray

On 3/18/2012 11:19 PM, Liz from Humbug wrote:
On Mar 16, 8:34 am, Tia wrote:
[...]

I had a neighbor come by today, with a bit of funfur on one needle, and
a desperate look on her face.

She said ( I learnt this at a rally years ago,...and don't remember how
to do it. She had never knitted in her life before, and I probably
wasn't much help, because I learned at age 4.

I sent her home with needles and yarn, and started 10 stitches. Her
assignment is to practice until she knows how to make a stitch.

Funfur is a bitch to unpick, as all of us know.

Laurie is a great friend, I would say.

Gill

Hawaiian 12 Days of Christmas lewmew Needlework 3 December 2nd 07 09:40 PM
hawaiian snowflake designs nzlstar* Quilting 3 July 11th 07 04:17 PM
AD - Hawaiian Vacation... Cindy Beads 1 May 17th 06 12:50 AM
? quilting my new hawaiian? kratersge Quilting 9 February 12th 06 06:19 PM
Hawaiian Quilts Elizabeth Quilting 10 February 3rd 05 04:43 PM