Cross Stitch

Old November 6th 11, 06:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
suzanne glover

Default Cross Stitch

Hello all! I'm new to this group and was wondering if anyone could
tell me where and how is the best way to start learning cross stitch I
am already a knitter and crocheter and I have dabbled in sewing..I'm
sure I'll be asking about that one but I want to expand my horizon's
to cross stitch. Suggestions?
Old November 7th 11, 12:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
fran

go to someplace like Micheals or A C Moores - they have kits that you
can start with. Granted, the quality of the kit varies, but there are
small and large pieces, and you can get an idea of how cross-stitch
works. Don't be afraid to ask questions - we've all been there, and
can give you boatloads of advice.

If you decide you like it, we can send you all sorts of links to
stores that will tempt you greatly

Old November 7th 11, 02:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Mavia

wrote:

Hello all! I'm new to this group and was wondering if anyone could
tell me where and how is the best way to start learning cross stitch I
am already a knitter and crocheter and I have dabbled in sewing..I'm
sure I'll be asking about that one but I want to expand my horizon's
to cross stitch. Suggestions?

Do a search on Google for 'tutorial cross stitch'. There are a number
there.

If you have any questions after you start, come back and ask here and I'm
sure some one will help you.

Mavia

Old November 7th 11, 07:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
mirjam

On Nov 6, 7:24*pm, suzanne glover wrote:
Hello all! I'm new to this group and was wondering if anyone could
tell me where and how is the best way to start learning cross stitch I
am already a knitter and crocheter and I have dabbled in sewing..I'm
sure I'll be asking about that one but I want to expand my horizon's
to cross stitch. Suggestions?

Buy yourself a good book with illustrations
mirjam
Old November 7th 11, 05:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Liz from Humbug

On Nov 6, 9:24*am, suzanne glover wrote:
Hello all! I'm new to this group and was wondering if anyone could
tell me where and how is the best way to start learning cross stitch I
am already a knitter and crocheter and I have dabbled in sewing..I'm
sure I'll be asking about that one but I want to expand my horizon's
to cross stitch. Suggestions?

Are you in the USA? If so, you can do an internet search for the
Embroiderers' Guild of America to see if there is a local chapter you
could join. You are allowed to attend a couple of meetings before
they expect you to join so take advantage of that and, even if you
decide not to join, you may make some new friends who will be happy
to tutor you as you learn. :-)

Liz from Humbug
Old November 7th 11, 07:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ellice K.

On 11/7/11 11:46 AM, in article
, "Liz from
Humbug" wrote:

On Nov 6, 9:24*am, suzanne glover wrote:
Hello all! I'm new to this group and was wondering if anyone could
tell me where and how is the best way to start learning cross stitch I
am already a knitter and crocheter and I have dabbled in sewing..I'm
sure I'll be asking about that one but I want to expand my horizon's
to cross stitch. Suggestions?

Are you in the USA? If so, you can do an internet search for the
Embroiderers' Guild of America to see if there is a local chapter you
could join. You are allowed to attend a couple of meetings before
they expect you to join so take advantage of that and, even if you
decide not to join, you may make some new friends who will be happy
to tutor you as you learn. :-)

Liz from Humbug

Ditto on the EGA recommendation. Plus, check their website for info on
stitching. There is a great website from a woman named Carole Leather in
the UK with diagrams, instructions for stitching, technique, and IIRC, she
does some on-line classes.

Beyond that, look in your area to see if there are any local needlework
shops. Most shops offer a beginning stitcher's class. Plus, an independent
shop will have materials in a variety beyond the kits at Michaels or similar
box craft stores. You can check the TNNA (The National Needlearts
Association) site - they're a trade group for all kinds of Needlework,
including designers, shops, suppliers - and their site has links to learning
to stitch and shop locations.
http://www.tnna.org/

They also put out some excellent learn to Cross-stitch, learn to Needlepoint
books that are quite inexpensive, and often shops will have them.

In addition to EGA, you can check out the American Needlepoint Guild,
www.needlepoint.org

They have sections with information on all kinds of stitching, and local
chapters. Not restricted to working on canvas, but also on various other
fabrics, and many of us are members in EGA & ANG.

With any of the guilds, visitors are generally welcome to attend a meeting,
check it out - without paying or being forced to join. We want you to enjoy
the art, make friends, and learn! If there are no local chapters near you,
both EGA & ANG have membership at large, as well as cyber chapters that you
can join - well, for sure ANG has one - I always forget if EGA does.

But, finally, as Mirjam said - get a good book. Having some diagrams on
hand, with explanations is worth a lot, and less frustrating than running to
the web to see if you're doing something right, wrong or anywhere in
between. As a basic - I really like the Donna Kooler Encyclopedia of
Needlework - it has sections on all kinds of stitching - XS, various
stitches typical beyond XS used on linen or aida cloth, Needlepoint, Surface
Embroidery (including crewel stitches), along with a good amount of
information on all the materials and using them, as well as stitch diagrams
that also include photos of the stitch actually having been done.

Regardless - have fun.

Ellice in NoVA

Old November 20th 11, 02:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
suzanne glover

On Nov 7, 1:24*am, mirjam wrote:
On Nov 6, 7:24*pm, suzanne glover wrote:

Hello all! I'm new to this group and was wondering if anyone could
tell me where and how is the best way to start learning cross stitch I
am already a knitter and crocheter and I have dabbled in sewing..I'm
sure I'll be asking about that one but I want to expand my horizon's
to cross stitch. Suggestions?

Buy yourself a good book with illustrations
mirjam

Do you have any suggestions for books? Especially the illustrations
part?
Old November 20th 11, 03:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
suzanne glover

On Nov 7, 1:50*pm, "Ellice K." wrote:
On 11/7/11 11:46 AM, in article
, "Liz from

Humbug" wrote:
[...]

Ellice in NoVA- Hide quoted text -

Thanks so much for the recommendation! I have ben looking at Amazon to
see if I can get that book for Xmas! Thanks!
Old November 20th 11, 03:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
suzanne glover

On Nov 7, 1:50*pm, "Ellice K." wrote:
On 11/7/11 11:46 AM, in article
, "Liz from

Old November 25th 11, 04:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
mirjam

Buy yourself a good book with illustrations
mirjam

Do you have any suggestions for books? Especially the illustrations
part?

Working on Canvas By Margaret Rivers , B.T. Batsford, Ltd, 1990

50 Needlepoint Stitches, Coats Sewing group1975.
are my best companions to this , but there are more
mirjam

cross stitch me Needlework 31 July 10th 08 09:09 PM
eBay with only 24 hours remaining: cross-stitch kit & counted cross-stitch patterns Suezq Marketplace 0 September 19th 03 12:39 PM
eBay with only 24 hours remaining: cross-stitch kit & counted cross-stitch patterns Suezq Marketplace 0 September 19th 03 12:39 PM
eBay: "Hearts" Counted cross-stitch kit & "Glorious Earth" x-stitch patterns Suezq Marketplace 0 September 17th 03 12:29 PM