Can't stand it!!

Old July 22nd 11, 11:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

Default Can't stand it!!

On 7/21/11 4:57 PM, Susan Hartman wrote:
On 7/21/2011 9:11 AM, wrote:
On Thu, 21 Jul 2011 14:04:25 +0100,
wrote:

On 21/07/2011 07:27, Fred wrote:
From what I have heard, Ham Operators are getting away from voice
and going
back to the old "Dit, Dit,Dit, Dah, Dah, Dah, Dit, Dit, Dit stuff -
true or
false??? I never could master the rhythm!

I agree, Fred. In the "old days" you built your own equipment with
whatever you could lay your hands on. Finishing a piece of equipment,
testing it and using it for the first time to contact someone a few
miles away (or even thousands of miles away) was quite an achievement.
Nowadays you go into a shop, buy the equipment, switch it on and talk -
no satisfaction at all. I spent my time in the RAF as a telegraphist
(morse& teletype) followed by 30 years in the civil service as a
government radio officer - when I finally retired 7 years ago everything
was computerised (and very soul-less!)
Bruce

And then there was semaphore .........

LOL remembering learning semaphore for my girl scout badge. I'd stand in
the street alongside my house, with a friend two blocks away, and we'd
send each other signals. I can still remember most of the alphabet...but
sure can't "read" it backwards like I used to!

sue (anybody have any use for an old GS sash with LOTS of badges??)

Why don't you contact your local council and donate it. I'll bet there
are badges on it they'll have to research

Cheryl
Old July 22nd 11, 02:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Donna

I can see making sure playground pieces do not have projecting pieces
that could be dangerous but saying they must not be over five feet
high ? *Not much thrill there - a five foot slide ??

Bah! *What a load of cods wallop ! *Perhaps kids should stay in utero
until they are adults ?

Stay in utero until adults!!!

Thanks for my laugh for the morning!

Donna in Virginia
Old July 22nd 11, 05:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ellice K.

On 7/20/11 5:15 PM, in article , "Gillian Murray"
wrote:

The third item finished this week is ready for the Orvus wash tomorrow,
and a trip to the framer on Friday. Actually, it has been in a big 2 gal
plastic bag for a couple of years, so hasn't got dusty. The framer has
to make a small frame that matches the original (stitched about 10 years
ago), and will be a "dangle". Jim had upgraded his Ham license, and had
a new callsign AB4JM (he figured he could remember his initials). Nyssa,
frm At Rivers Edge" charted it for me and sent it as an email. She is a
Ham too, like both of us.

Gill

I just want to say - you are one prolific gal of late! Very inspiring, and
congrats on all the finishes.

Ellice

Old July 23rd 11, 05:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gillian Murray

On 7/22/2011 9:03 AM, Donna wrote:

I can see making sure playground pieces do not have projecting pieces
that could be dangerous but saying they must not be over five feet
high ? Not much thrill there - a five foot slide ??

Bah! What a load of cods wallop ! Perhaps kids should stay in utero
until they are adults ?

Stay in utero until adults!!!

Thanks for my laugh for the morning!

Donna in Virginia

It does create an awesome mental image Mom with two or three teenagers
in utero. Even worse than your Walmart pics. LOL

Gill

Old July 23rd 11, 05:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Tia Mary

On Jul 22, 5:30*am, wrote:
.....snipped.....
Bah! *What a load of cods wallop ! *Perhaps kids should stay in utero
until they are adults ?

To paraphrase Mark Twain ...... Chidren should be put in a sealed
barrell and fed through the bung hole. Then, when they are teenagers,
seal up the hole!!! CiaoMeow ^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^
Old July 23rd 11, 06:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Liz from Humbug

On Jul 22, 3:25*am, Cheryl Isaak wrote:
On 7/21/11 6:36 PM, wrote:

On Thu, 21 Jul 2011 16:57:28 -0400, Susan Hartman
*wrote:

And then there was semaphore .........

LOL remembering learning semaphore for my girl scout badge. I'd stand in
the street alongside my house, with a friend two blocks away, and we'd
send each other signals. I can still remember most of the alphabet...but
sure can't "read" it backwards like I used to!

sue (anybody have any use for an old GS sash with LOTS of badges??)

Lol, I don't think they do badges anymore do they ? * Under that
stupid idea that it's not good for some kids to feel they didn't win -
sigh.

That was one easy badge for me as my father taught me semaphore as we
used to speak between yachts when ocean racing in semaphore.

actually they still do badges, but badges are agreed upon by the troop
to work on together. you are no longer encouraged to do them by yourself.

That's kind of sad. Working on a badge together as a troop can be fun
but it was also fun to work alone on a badge that the other girls may
not have been really interested in.
Old July 23rd 11, 09:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gillian Murray

wrote:

[...]

When I was a GS leader, and we were stationed in Scotland, I made a list
of all the badges that had one or two parts that just needed completion,
and stuck it on the frig. Whenever the DD whined "There's nothing to
do"..I pointed her to the list. My asst leader, a Norwegian woman, did
the same thing with her daughter. As a result, they earned more badges
than the other kids, but that was because of "The List!"

Actually that was a lot of fun because the two of us participated in
events with the local Girl Guide leaders.

Gill

Stand Tricia Needlework 0 May 13th 06 02:56 PM
OT - Stand up! Johanna Gibson Quilting 25 June 27th 05 03:30 PM
Where do I stand? John Jewelry 4 February 21st 05 09:43 PM
Stand down, I'm not going to cry Polly Esther Quilting 8 February 17th 05 02:35 AM
What does OT stand for? Pitt Needlework 2 October 7th 04 03:32 PM