Cable knitting diagrams

Old November 18th 06, 02:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Harlan Messinger

Default Cable knitting diagrams

Can anyone direct me to a Web page that illustrates the general rules
for interpreting cable knit stitches in pattern diagrams? The book I'm
using ("Knitting With Balls") shows a few examples and explains what
each one means, but I can't figure out the general rule for how to get
from these diagrams how many stitches to slip onto the cable needle, how
many to stitches to work after that before working the stitches on the
cable needle, and whether to knit or purl.
Old November 18th 06, 03:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
WoolyGooly

On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 21:55:18 -0500, Harlan Messinger
wrote:

Can anyone direct me to a Web page that illustrates the general rules
for interpreting cable knit stitches in pattern diagrams? The book I'm
using ("Knitting With Balls") shows a few examples and explains what
each one means, but I can't figure out the general rule for how to get
from these diagrams how many stitches to slip onto the cable needle, how
many to stitches to work after that before working the stitches on the
cable needle, and whether to knit or purl.

There is unfortunately no "general rule". The Harmony Guides maybe
come closest for English (ie, speakers of English, not throwers)
knitters but should not be relied upon when knitting from someone
else's pattern.

The pattern you're working from should provide a chart key (like a map
key, heh) that tells you what you're to do for each symbol. Possibly
there are typos, or possibly the sample garment in the photo is
incorrect but you won't know for sure until you knit it.
Old November 18th 06, 03:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Harlan Messinger

wrote:

[...]

Oh no! That's actually what I was getting at. In one of the pattern, the
difference between two of the stitch sequences didn't seem to have
anything to do with the differences between the diagrams used to denote
them. I was afraid there was a mistake. If it's all arbitrary, I'll take
it on faith. :-)
Old November 18th 06, 05:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
DA

"Harlan Messinger" wrote in message
Can anyone direct me to a Web page that illustrates the general rules for
interpreting cable knit stitches in pattern diagrams? The book I'm using
("Knitting With Balls") shows a few examples and explains what each one
means, but I can't figure out the general rule for how to get from these
diagrams how many stitches to slip onto the cable needle, how many to
stitches to work after that before working the stitches on the cable
needle, and whether to knit or purl.

Here are some links to helpful info on knitting from charts.
http://www.knitty.com/issuewinter04/FEATcharts.html

http://countrywool.tripod.com/freepatterns/chart.htm

http://www.tata-tatao.to/knit/stitches/e-index.html

DA

Old November 18th 06, 01:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Harlan Messinger

Mirjam Bruck-Cohen wrote:
Harlan ,, you just have to be BRAVE and try it yourself , on a piece
of other knitting,wonderfull oportunity to prepare some `hot pads `as
neat presents for yourself or others, try your cables , write down
what you did and choose /use the proper one for your bigger project .
mirjam

Brave I am. I got started on a laptop cover last night (this book has
some unusual projects) to try this out. I'll see how it goes.
Old November 18th 06, 02:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Harlan Messinger

DA wrote:
"Harlan Messinger" wrote in message
Can anyone direct me to a Web page that illustrates the general rules for
interpreting cable knit stitches in pattern diagrams? The book I'm using
("Knitting With Balls") shows a few examples and explains what each one
means, but I can't figure out the general rule for how to get from these
diagrams how many stitches to slip onto the cable needle, how many to
stitches to work after that before working the stitches on the cable
needle, and whether to knit or purl.

Here are some links to helpful info on knitting from charts.
http://www.knitty.com/issuewinter04/FEATcharts.html

http://countrywool.tripod.com/freepatterns/chart.htm

http://www.tata-tatao.to/knit/stitches/e-index.html

Thanks for showing me these. I'm particularly glad I looked at one of
them: maybe my book mentioned this and I missed it, or maybe the pattern
is symmetrical so it didn't matter, but I didn't know you're supposed to
read the even rows from right to left (treating the diagram as
representing the right side of the fabric).
Old November 18th 06, 02:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
DA

Here are some links to helpful info on knitting from charts.
http://www.knitty.com/issuewinter04/FEATcharts.html

http://countrywool.tripod.com/freepatterns/chart.htm

http://www.tata-tatao.to/knit/stitches/e-index.html

Thanks for showing me these. I'm particularly glad I looked at one of
them: maybe my book mentioned this and I missed it, or maybe the pattern
is symmetrical so it didn't matter, but I didn't know you're supposed to
read the even rows from right to left (treating the diagram as
representing the right side of the fabric).

You are welcome. Once you understand charts, they are much easier to use
than written instructions.
DA

Old November 18th 06, 03:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
WoolyGooly

On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 09:03:20 -0500, Harlan Messinger
wrote:

Thanks for showing me these. I'm particularly glad I looked at one of
them: maybe my book mentioned this and I missed it, or maybe the pattern
is symmetrical so it didn't matter, but I didn't know you're supposed to
read the even rows from right to left (treating the diagram as
representing the right side of the fabric).

IIRC the Laptop bag is knitted flat, folded and then seamed up the
sides, yeah? If that's the case then the wrong-side rows ought to be
"knit the knits and purl the purls" - or work the stitches as they're
presented to you. IF the chart shows both right and wrong-side rows
then you'll read the wrong-side rows from left to right and right-side
rows from right to left.

If the thing is knitted in the round (don't think so?) you can just
ignore me.

Off to caffeinate.
Old November 18th 06, 03:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Harlan Messinger

Harlan Messinger wrote:
DA wrote:
"Harlan Messinger" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Ha. *Now* I found the footnote that explains--start from the right of
the chart on the RS rows. The problem is that explanations are sprinkled
all through the patterns, which means I really need to read through all
the patterns sequentially even if I don't intend on making them.

Fortunately the two rows I've done already are symmetrical in the pattern.
Old November 18th 06, 03:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Harlan Messinger

WoolyGooly wrote:
IIRC the Laptop bag is knitted flat, folded and then seamed up the
sides, yeah? If that's the case then the wrong-side rows ought to be
"knit the knits and purl the purls" - or work the stitches as they're
presented to you. IF the chart shows both right and wrong-side rows
then you'll read the wrong-side rows from left to right and right-side
rows from right to left.

If the thing is knitted in the round (don't think so?) you can just
ignore me.

It isn't. It does say to use a circular needle, but it isn't in the
round, and I got the whole thing (in the smallest size) to fit on a
standard needle anyway so I didn't bother to wait until getting a
circular one. I'm only doing it for practice.

Knitting speed ?? Yarn 40 August 22nd 06 09:50 PM
Help with old english knitting directions Rach *in NZ* Yarn 55 April 17th 06 05:23 AM
YOur help needed please Norma Yarn 13 March 10th 06 10:19 PM
Waaay OT; Muslim cartoons. F.James Cripwell Needlework 163 February 17th 06 04:40 PM
Knitting Cable Stitches (was getting really tired and boring) Waaay OT; Muslim cartoons. Mirjam Bruck-Cohen Needlework 0 February 5th 06 06:34 AM