OT - Please Help Ladies!! Restroom Etiquette - Your Opinions Needed!!

Old November 12th 03, 04:55 AM
Sharon Harper

Does that mean I should start ripping my fabric instead of rotary cutting?
LOL....ducking and running....

--
Sharon From Melbourne Australia (Queen of Down Under) (wondering if I should
start growing my hair so DH can drag me around - oh wait that was cavemen
"Judy Grevenites" wrote in message
Marie, sometimes I wonder why you deign to talk to us in the rest of the
world. France, France, France---yes dear, we get the message. Marie
and France are civilized--the rest are barbarians. RedQueen

Old November 12th 03, 08:56 AM
Marie Lewis

In article ,
Judy Grevenites writes
Marie, sometimes I wonder why you deign to talk to us in the rest of the
world. France, France, France---yes dear, we get the message. Marie
and France are civilized--the rest are barbarians. RedQueen

That is not what I mean and I am hurt that you should reply in this way.

Perhaps I did not make myself clear.

I was amazed that France is so "disabled-friendly." I did not expect
that.
I have not been in your country while unable to walk. I am unlikely to
be there, as the journey would be too much and the arrangements too
complicated. I am sure that, in the main, your country is just as
disabled-friendly as France.

The UK is the most disabled friendly I have come across, particularly
with respect to where disabled people can park: almost anywhere except
on private land or when it would be a danger to traffic. For example,
we can park on double yellow lines (where others can ever park) for up
to three hours. So far, I have not needed to do this.

I am, however, totally amazed at how many non-disabled people on this
group freely state that they use disabled loos.

I can honestly say that, until I had to, I have never done this and
neither, until I had to, have I parked in a disabled space.
--
Marie Lewis
Old November 12th 03, 08:58 AM
Marie Lewis

In article J2hsb.128872$ao4.403327@attbi_s51, Julia Altshuler
writes
What about the handicap ramp? Are we allowed to walk on it if no one
in a wheel chair is using it, or should we make sure we use the stairs
in case someone who can't walk needs the ramp right away?

--Lia

If you think this is the same thing, then I am sorry for you.

I did not understand until I lost the ability to walk. My husband was
also somewhat intolerant of disabled people until he had to push me
around.
He has changed.

I hope you never have to learn that lesson the hard way.
--
Marie Lewis
Old November 12th 03, 08:59 AM
Marie Lewis

In article et, Teresa
in Colorado writes
All they have to do is ask.
I've let people ahead of me when they asked, due to an emergency
(handicapped or otherwise).

You are thoughtful and helpful: many people are not.
--
Marie Lewis
Old November 12th 03, 09:01 AM
Marie Lewis

In article , NightMist
writes
I have seen a person in a chair rip into a person with a cane for
useing a handicapped parking space. It was rude and it was wrong.

Of course it was: people with, say, heart conditions, may not be able to
walk too far, even if they do not need a cane.

However, unless they have the necessary card, they should not park in
the disabled spots, as many people do.

Being handicapped no more turns someone into a saint than it is a sign
they are a sinner.

Of course not. I am no saint and probably even less of one since I lost
the ability to walk.

But I have learned a hard lesson and if, by some miracle, I got the
ability to walk back (and visit quilt shows!) I would be much more
understanding of what it is to be disabled.

--
Marie Lewis
Old November 12th 03, 09:05 AM
Marie Lewis

In article , nomorespam
writes
an invisible disability would most likely not require a larger stall.....

Christina

OK, it may be distasteful but I will explain.

For one year, some 10 years ago, as a result of a bad infection and
peritonitis from a major operation, I have to have colostomy, while the
infection cleared completely.

This meant that, when I went to the loo (yes, you still have to do that,
for full bags are not good) I needed a long mirror and a wash basin in
the stall with me.

I doubt if other people would have relished the sight of my washing my
stoma in the main area.

No-one could tell I had a stoma. It was an invisible disability.
--
Marie Lewis
Old November 12th 03, 09:05 AM
Marie Lewis

In article , Butterfly
writes
But they may require a HIGHER stool....AND the handrail to make getting
up and down easier.
Butterfly

True.
--
Marie Lewis
Old November 12th 03, 09:06 AM
Marie Lewis

In article , NightMist
writes

Most of the smaller restaraunts and the like here have a single
multiple duty bathroom. One toilet and sink with a locking door that
is accessible to everyone. I like that a lot. No worries about which
bathroom to take the kids to or anything. They are also handicap
accessible. The wheel chair folk wait in line with no problem, just
like the rest of us. The only excitement I have had is Ash wanting to
check out a motorized chair. The lady in it was much amused.
We have a higher than average number of wheelchairs and other such
assistances locally, this system works just fine.

NightMist

You are fortunate to have this system.

--
Marie Lewis
Old November 12th 03, 09:07 AM
Marie Lewis

In article . net,
Jalynne writes
I don't agree that it's inconsiderate, Marie...and I know many who
agree. If there
is NO ONE else in the washroom...why should I not use it? Especially
if I had a
young child with me. I just don't understand your reasoning, i
suppose, and would
appreciate further clarification.

How do you know who is going to come in just after you? Could it be
someone with a colostomy and a full bag that is leaking?
--
Marie Lewis
Old November 12th 03, 09:08 AM
Marie Lewis

In article , "LN (remove
NOSPAM)" writes
Same here. I'm not handicapped, but some of those regular stalls are
arranged so that you have to climb onto the seat to be able to open and
close the door!

Then your quarrel is with the owners of the facility.
--
Marie Lewis