Applique Flowers & Bible Blocks

Old August 29th 03, 01:57 AM
MerryStahel

Default Applique Flowers & Bible Blocks

Anyone know of a free site, without a lot of pop-ups and with easy to manuever
webpages where there are free applique flower patterns? Baskets and
butterflies with said patterns are fine.

Also, a site where Bible blocks patterns are? I know there's one site that has
Bible blocks but a lot of the blocks are regular older patterns, with the name
changed to reflect the verse or whatever.

Thanks to whoever can help...

Merry
Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once
http://www.stardancerpress.com/MerryStahel/
http://community.webshots.com/user/merrystahel

Old August 29th 03, 05:37 AM
nzl*

http://www.quiltcreations.com/quiltcreations/idx12.htm
a lot of cute ones here.

i search thru embroidery sites for ideas.
lots of those can be used for applique too.
www.cvkey.com is one with lots of baltimore blocks on it.
hth,
jeanne

Old August 30th 03, 07:21 PM
Dr. Quilter

Merry, the Keepsake Catalogue is advertising a book with paper pieced
'belief' blocks. Some are biblical, some jewish... maybe you can get
inspired by browsing the book online in Amazon or B&N?

--
Dr. Quilter
Ambassador of Extraordinary Aliens

Old September 10th 03, 04:28 PM
Kim Graham

I have Bible blocks on my website. They certainly are "regular older
patterns" in most cases [a couple are original blocks], but the names aren't
changed--they are as per Barbara Brackman's encyclopedia.

Hope this helps. This sounds like an intriguing project. Care to tell us
more?

--
Kim Graham
Nanaimo, BC, Canada

Old September 10th 03, 05:18 PM
MerryStahel

Kim,

I've bookmarked your site, it was one of the first I hit on in Google G. I
will probably be using some of them.

The story about this quilt?

Well, my best friend is also my Bible study partner and a Master Gardener. So,
I figured a quilt with flowers, and Bible blocks interspersed.

Her stipulations - King-size and predominately purple and green G.

My problem is the blocks are not uniform in size. I've found lovely flower
blocks, but some are 6 inch blocks, some are as big as 14 inch blocks, but none
are consistant, same with Bible blocks. Your site has consistant sizes of
Bible blocks, but I need more - and what I've found ranges from 6 - 20 inches.

Yes, I know, I could re-size - but the problem is, that takes a lot of math,
and knowing points and angles and such and I simply am NOT good at it.

I HAVE found a site mentioning all the flowers and herbs in the Bible with
pictures, but that means I have to draw them out and make templates myself -
something I'm NOT good at. My daughter IS, but she's so involved in college
right now, I don't dare ask her.

There's also an applique book out that has all the flowers/herbs of the Bible
in it - the problem is the author made them ALL circles. Sure, I could place
them differently, but then the block size is off - some have flowers, some
don't, and the circle makes the ones with little detail look bigger...

The other flower applique books and patterns I've seen have the flowers set
within the size of the block - so if I take them out of context - like put them
in a smaller or larger block based on whatever size I finally choose - they
will look funny - as in a few shafts of gladioloas on a 10 inch block are not
gonna look right. I could make more, but then that may ruin the artistry of
the arrangement.

The other problem is that I want specific Bible blocks, based on what we've
studied G. Burning Bush, Walls Of Jericho, Joseph's Coat, Jacob's Ladder,
Cross & Crown, Star Of Galillee, Morning Star...just to name a few.

I've considered buying fabric dye and trying to paint the flowers myself, but
my foray into that resulted in less than satisfactory drawing (I'm not good at
that, either!).

I wish I could simply find a site or a pattern with realistic looking applique
flowers (very realistic) and Bible blocks all the same size.

In the meantime, I am muddling through, still looking.

I will probably cobble together something or t'other when I get to it.

I DO have a pattern for Nature's Garden - but again, block sizes range from
tall and narrow to short and small - no way to fit Bible blocks between them,
unless I measure and make every Bible block a different size. Pluse, the quilt
is already huge. No two blocks are the same size!

Not being a designer, and being a person who prefers even a loose pattern, this
is driving me crazy.

I want this quilt to be absolutely stunning. This person is my best friend, my
confidant, all the things that go with being a friend. I want this to be one
of my best quilts ever.

Old September 10th 03, 06:14 PM
Patti

Hullo Merry
When I wanted some realistic, 'proper' birds for my MIL's quilt, I found
pictures of those I wanted and took them to a photocopying shop where
they did T-shirts, plus some white cotton, and had them transfer them on
- permanently. They looked wonderful, and weren't that stiff.
So, if you give up on appliqué, perhaps think about doing that?
Another hint about making an applique-possible picture from a book; and
that is, to enlarge the picture significantly and then perhaps just use
small pieces of the picture (maybe one flower head instead of four?) and
enlarge it again. You can then trace, and eliminate any too fiddly
detail, while still leaving a recognisable flower.
..
In article , MerryStahel
writes
Kim,
[...]

Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old September 10th 03, 06:23 PM
TerriLee in WA

Merry - I just bought a book that is all Bible blocks. When I get home,
I'll look to see if they are all the same size. Then I'll let you know.
Maybe I could loan you the book?

MerryStahel wrote:

[...]

TerriLee Bishop
(opinions are wholly owned by the author and don't represent anything)
;-)
my real email is tlbishop at earthlink dot net
Old September 10th 03, 06:30 PM
Butterfly

This one is 'easy'
Make a Shadow Box arrangement. NONE of the 'sashing sizes' have to be
the same --some can be LONG rectangles, others perfect squares, others
oblong, and even vertical long narrow strips with an assortment of diff
flowers. Only CONSISTENT thing is the color of the 'laths (sashing)'
separating the patterns.
You could even put a single size row of blocks between 2 laths to fill
up a space if needed.
HTH
Butterfly (not good a line drawings here--maybe someone else can take
this and run with it)

Old September 10th 03, 06:37 PM
Butterfly

Try this:
They have a new book called Flowers of the Bible. I have NOT seen it in
person.
http://www.havasuquilts.com/
or:
http://www.havasuquilts.com/cgi-bin/...es=0&lastmenu=