Thread carries on model

Old July 28th 03, 08:20 PM
Brenda Lewis

Default Thread carries on model

I received the October "Just Cross Stitch" this weekend. Page 51 shows
a model which has three lines of writing, a house, and two more lines of
writing. The thread used for the saying is very obviously carried not
just from word to word, but from line to line. It is also carried from
the vine border to the beginning of the text. There are also a few
carries within the border but the way the berries/flowers (I'm not sure
which) are done carries are hard to avoid. All in all, it looks like
some of my needlework from fifteen+ years ago. This lack of attention
to detail makes a lackluster chart even less appealing.

If Martha Beth Lewis (no relation) didn't have such wonderful articles
in that magazine, I'd drop it.

--
Brenda Lewis
WIP: J. Himsworth "I Shall Not Want" xs

Old July 29th 03, 01:56 AM
Alison

There were really obvious thread carries on one of the JCS ornaments
last year (I think it was Trilogy, it was just 3 words, red on ivory,
and the carries were very obvious.) I have doubts about even carrying
from letter to letter.

Alison

Old July 29th 03, 12:48 PM
PaulaB

I have noticed this many times on models...why do they do that?!
Sounds like some of you need to start stitching models! :-))) Paula
B.

Old July 29th 03, 06:26 PM
Pat Porter

Perhaps they`re getting pushed to get things done fast! Looks bad though, I
should think. I don`t really see why it should make anyone want to stop
buying the magazine though. After all, just because THEY do it/show it
doesn`t mean you have to follow suit! LOL!

Pat P

om...

Old July 29th 03, 08:30 PM
Brenda Lewis

SNORT Only if they don't need it completed until the next millennium!

I confess I hate backstitched text on unstitched background because it
is hard to anchor the threads well. I still find a way to do it. I
would knot my end before I'd carry it under eight unstitched fabric
threads. I would even fill the background or ditch the wording before
making such a carry. I can accept a less-than-perfect back, but not one
that shows through to the front.

Old July 29th 03, 08:49 PM
Brenda Lewis

Good point. If they had designs that really called to me and didn't
look like "gotta hurry to meet the deadline" designing, I would consider
the magazine a must-have no matter what mistakes were stitched on the
models. It used to have fairly challenging charts and a larger variety
of designers in each issue. Now it seems "dumbed down" and the
designers who contribute the most are ones who don't appeal to me.
Nothing against Alma Lynne Hayden as a person (since I don't know her),
but the style of her work is quite repulsive to me. I know other people
go nuts over it, but I get tired of seeing it.

Gotta love Martha Beth. She has such a gift for explaining abstract
concepts and aesthetics thoroughly and clearly. I have "Duh, why didn't
I think of that?" moments when I read her articles. :-)

Old July 30th 03, 04:13 AM
lisa

My LNS lady told me that if I mounted on a dark foam core board it doesn't
show carry overs that you can tell, obviously this wouldn't work for all
pictures but I thought it was a great concept.
Lisa

Old July 30th 03, 01:32 PM
Dr. Brat

lisa wrote:
My LNS lady told me that if I mounted on a dark foam core board it doesn't
show carry overs that you can tell, obviously this wouldn't work for all
pictures but I thought it was a great concept.

I suspect that I'd know that it was dark foam core and find that
displeasing, though.

Elizabeth