How do you do cane-bottomed chairs in mini?

Old February 19th 04, 09:21 PM
Cathy Weeks

Default How do you do cane-bottomed chairs in mini?

One of the projects I'm playing with is recreating my parent's antique
dining-room table. It had rose-backed chairs that went with it, and
the seat bottom was cane-bottomed. How do you do that in miniature?

Cathy Weeks
Old February 19th 04, 10:14 PM
havana bill & holly

I "caned" a mini chair with #20 crochet cotton and a darning needle. When I
started to run out of thread I knotted on another piece, the knot got buried
in the "caning" process. The best directions I've seen were in Building
Miniatrue Houses and Furniture by Dorie Krusz, published in 1980 by Arco
(so possibly out of print). When finished I varnished the seat, top &
bottom. HTH

Old February 19th 04, 10:54 PM
Dawn

Cathy Weeks wrote:

One of the projects I'm playing with is recreating my parent's antique
dining-room table. It had rose-backed chairs that went with it, and
the seat bottom was cane-bottomed. How do you do that in miniature?

I have seen it done with a loose weave fabric that is stiffened for
handling and then glued into place. There's usually a layer that goes
over the edges of the fabric to cover them and hold them in place.

Dawn

Old February 20th 04, 01:19 AM
havana bill & holly

I expect a fairly loose even-weave (like Aida) would also work. I liked the
effect of the crochet cotton plus it wrapped so well :- ) I think Chuck's
idea of using tea-dyed unwaxed dental floss would work really well for
rush-seating & I'm inspired to try it. I made the caned chair to go with
the kitchen table that was my first wood-lathe experience (turning the legs
G).
"Dawn" wrote

Old February 20th 04, 02:39 AM
Chuck

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 17:14:23 -0500, "havana bill & holly"
wrote:

I wonder how dental floss, unwaxed and tea-dyed would look? Just a
thought.

--
Chuck *#:^)
chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

September 11, 2001 - Never Forget

Old February 20th 04, 03:24 AM
Millie

wrote:

I wonder how dental floss, unwaxed and tea-dyed would look? Just a
thought.

Dental floss is an excellent guess, the Mott MiniatureWorkshop Manual
#1,by Barbara and Elizabeth Mott, Portfolio Press, Huntington, New
York 1978 Library of Congress # 78-20592, has on page 15 an excellent
discription including illustrations of how to cane a minnie chair. I
will give you the very basics here, you need cotton embroidery floss,
use three strands to simulate the strand of cane. Tan will most
closely resemble the color of cane. You will also need a tiny drillbit
used in a pin drill, several shaped wooden pegs that will fit into the
holes, a curved needle or small crotchet hook, and dull finish varnish
to coat the "cane" when the seat is finished. drill holes 1/8 inch
apart around the inside opening of the chair seat.

You can look up the methods of weaving as there are many different
patterns to use, and I do not have an example of your existing chair
to guide you through the process. The methods are the same, just
smaller materials.

Finishing: A large chair would have a binding edge, which are
not included in miniature. A minnie chair can undergo just so much
stress, by the time the caning is complete, the holes will be filled
and would not be able to accept another 2 strands of cane. You may
wish to coat the cane with varnish to preserve the embroidery floss.

I have caned many pieces, don't be afraid, just take your time, Good
Luck!

Millie