Clapotis scarf

Old November 15th 06, 05:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Shillelagh

Default Clapotis scarf

This is a WIM for me, and I was just looking at the yarn and gauge
requirements. It calls for a gauge of 19 sts/25 rows in 4" of stockinette
on 5mm needles. I'm not sure that I want to use a yarn that heavy. I'd
like to make it from yarn already in my stash.

Has anyone made this scarf in a lighterweight yarn? If so, what yarn?

Heh, it's not like I have nothing to do right now (snicker). I guess it
doesn't hurt to have a list of potential projects.

Shelagh

Old November 15th 06, 06:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
suzee

Shillelagh wrote:
This is a WIM for me, and I was just looking at the yarn and gauge
requirements. It calls for a gauge of 19 sts/25 rows in 4" of stockinette
on 5mm needles. I'm not sure that I want to use a yarn that heavy. I'd
like to make it from yarn already in my stash.

Has anyone made this scarf in a lighterweight yarn? If so, what yarn?

Heh, it's not like I have nothing to do right now (snicker). I guess it
doesn't hurt to have a list of potential projects.

I used Simply soft which is a lighter worsted. The 5 st column between
dropped stitches is about 1.25", so that'd be 4st/1" on size 10.5
needles. I also got about the same gauge with the same needles using
KP's shimmer triple stranded. That one is much thinner though due to the
laceweight of shimmer. Other people in the yahoo group have made it in
lighter weight yarn - shimmer doubled on size 8s/5mm, as well as other
yarns. If you have something in mind I can look it up and see if
anyone's used it; the group is closed to new members at the moment due
to the owner's family illnesses.

sue
Old November 15th 06, 06:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Vintage Purls

Shillelagh wrote:
This is a WIM for me, and I was just looking at the yarn and gauge
requirements. It calls for a gauge of 19 sts/25 rows in 4" of stockinette
on 5mm needles. I'm not sure that I want to use a yarn that heavy. I'd
like to make it from yarn already in my stash.

Has anyone made this scarf in a lighterweight yarn? If so, what yarn?

There are instructions here
(http://www.almostrandom.com/needlesn...otes-clapotis/)
for making a swatch for this project, maybe that will help you decide
on a yarn and needle gague that you think suitable.

Best wishes, it's a lovely project you've almost got me tempted to
start it myself, but I must be strong, so many projects already on the
go!

Vintage Purls
http://www.vintagepurls.net.nz

Old November 15th 06, 03:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
YarnWright

Shillelagh spun a FINE 'yarn':

This is a WIM for me, and I was just looking at the yarn and gauge
requirements. It calls for a gauge of 19 sts/25 rows in 4" of
stockinette on 5mm needles. I'm not sure that I want to use a yarn
that heavy. I'd like to make it from yarn already in my stash.

Has anyone made this scarf in a lighterweight yarn? If so, what yarn?

Heh, it's not like I have nothing to do right now (snicker). I guess
it doesn't hurt to have a list of potential projects.

Shelagh

Shelagh,
I've made the Clapotis countless times, with varying weights of yarn...
HTH,
Noreen

--

---
avast! AV: Outbound message clean.

Old November 15th 06, 06:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Richard Eney

In article ,
Shillelagh wrote:
This is a WIM for me, and I was just looking at the yarn and gauge
requirements. It calls for a gauge of 19 sts/25 rows in 4" of stockinette
on 5mm needles. I'm not sure that I want to use a yarn that heavy. I'd
like to make it from yarn already in my stash.

Has anyone made this scarf in a lighterweight yarn? If so, what yarn?

The basic dropped-stitch design dates from the 19th century, so probably
any weight you like will work. Just swatch and see.

=Tamar
Old November 16th 06, 11:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Shillelagh

Thanks everyone for all your replies! I will go stashdiving to see if I can
come up with something to use on this pattern - but not yet (grin).

Progress report on the Christmas sweater for dear granddaughter - 2nd
sleeve almost finished - just decreasing for the cap, then it's on to the
neck and sewing it all together. I'll post links to pictures when it's
done. I love the pattern.

Shelagh

Old November 17th 06, 03:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Shillelagh

"Mirjam Bruck-Cohen" wrote in message
Shelagh you are a marvel ,,,
mirjam

(blushing) aaawwwwwwww, what a nice thing to say. Blowing kisses and hugs
your way!

Finished the 2nd sleeve last night, pressed the pieces and today will be the
neck and the sewing..... getting closer to another FO(grin)

Shelagh

Old November 18th 06, 06:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Shelagh you are a marvel ,,,
mirjam

Shillelagh" wrote:

Thanks everyone for all your replies! I will go stashdiving to see if I can
come up with something to use on this pattern - but not yet (grin).

Progress report on the Christmas sweater for dear granddaughter - 2nd
sleeve almost finished - just decreasing for the cap, then it's on to the
neck and sewing it all together. I'll post links to pictures when it's
done. I love the pattern.

Shelagh

Autumn scarf, a september FO. Aud Yarn 15 September 23rd 05 04:26 PM
Clapotis scarf Tante Jan Yarn 27 February 12th 05 02:43 AM
Bad scarf, great purse LibraryCat513 Yarn 5 January 6th 05 08:58 AM
new/old scarf idea Linda [email protected] Yarn 6 December 2nd 04 07:32 PM
Crochet Scarf Pattern Help! Lindy Yarn 8 November 13th 03 06:03 PM