Dear Jane... help

Old November 13th 08, 08:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate G.[_3_]

Default Dear Jane... help

Okay -- I need to start another new project like I need to gain 10 pounds...

but I'm starting one anyway.

One of the local quilt shops is starting a Dear Jane club that meets every
other week... and I need something to regularly get me out of the house
during out long, dark Michigan winters... So, I've decided to join. The
next meeting is next Thursday.

That means I need to do Dear Jane blocks.

I've ordered the software -- and I have the book. So far... so good.

Now I need fabric. Let me say that I do have enough fabric up in my sewing
room I should be able to do at least a dozen quilts. But most of them are
brights, and novelty... and I don't think those would be right for a Dear
Jane.

I've never done much wth civil war repros... and batiks always make a
gorgeous quilt. Or maybe red/white/& blues....

I don't know. What I do know is that to keep it simple getting started it
would be easiest to buy a couple of FQ bundles to give me enough variety to
get going....

So give me some suggestions! What colors do you think make the prettiest
Dear Jane blocks? Where is the best place to find FQ bundles at a
reasonable price?

Any guidance is greatly appreciated.... I still think I'm nuts... but I
think forcing myself out of the house all winter long will be a good idea.

Thanks in advance....

--
Kate in MI

Old November 13th 08, 08:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

If you want to use your brights, just get some black, dark green or navy
to be the background. It will look stunning. You could use bright
batiks as well. As long as you have a good contrasting background it
will be fine. You have to buy a lot of fabric for the background; so,
saving on the individual colours would be good!
..
In message , Kate G.
writes
[...]

Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old November 13th 08, 08:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Tutu Haynes-Smart

I have seen absolutely stunning DJs done in batiks; in brights (think black
for the neutrals); in teals; in just about anything .....

Hey - those little blocks should be fun - a "learning experience" (lots of
new swear words!!!) - choose those fabrics and colours that appeal to YOU.

Make it your own. Brights sound jolly good to me ........

Cheers for now
Tutu
Cape Town, South Africa

--
Cheers for now
Tutu

Old November 13th 08, 09:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
MB

Here's a bright on I think black or navy background...Lovely !
http://uncleleona.net/dearjane/

Old November 13th 08, 09:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
jeanne-nzlstar*

ditto what Tutu says.
having done two that i know of, she ought to know, eh.
if you used up your scraps in the sewing room or what you have on hand you
could arrange them in some sort of colour
configuration...watercolour/rainbow/light to dark, sumpin...whatever you did
would be beautiful.
i'd just get enough background if you dont have enough in your stash now.
hmmmm, i wonder, how'd variety of background in either light or dark the
same colour range would look?
could play with it in EQ to see what appeals to you most i'd think.
just thunk'n outloud in the south pacific,
j.
dont know if this will get thru as i gave up the other day when 3 posts
wouldnt go thru after trying over and over, ended up just deleting my
replys, oh well, wasnt important anyhow, just me ramble'n on again

"Tutu Haynes-Smart" wrote...

Old November 13th 08, 09:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
jeanne-nzlstar*

oh yes, that is one gorgeous set of blocks.
j.

"MB" wrote...

Old November 13th 08, 09:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate G.[_3_]

I just remembered.... I have a whole tub of Jinny Beyer FQ's that I
received as a going away gift when I left Michigan...

I bet those would be pretty -- and really easy to add to!!

Hmmmmmmmmmmm

Now if I go that route -- should I go bright white... or cream for the
background?

--
Kate in MI

Old November 13th 08, 09:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
jeanne-nzlstar*

toss a few of them on a piece of both the bright white and the cream and see
which you prefer.
of course dont forget to leave them for a while, walk away, go do anything
for a bit, then come back and see which you prefer.
not too sure i'd much like the plain white tho, i'd need it to have some
texture to it, a tone on tone.
j.

"Kate G." wrote...

Old November 13th 08, 09:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
jeanne-nzlstar*

dont forget to google images for the Dear Jane.
often gives you more perspective and see how other choices look.
j.

"Kate G." wrote...

Dear Jane Elly Quilting 33 September 26th 07 11:16 PM
Dear Jane? Karen Johnson Quilting 50 March 11th 05 11:19 PM
Dear Jane quilt JS Quilting 12 May 20th 04 04:33 AM
Dear Jane Quilts Betty in Wi Quilting 37 April 13th 04 12:45 AM
My first 2 Dear Jane blocks are up Medium Gnome Quilting 43 September 18th 03 01:07 PM