tagines

Old October 13th 04, 10:01 PM
annemarie

Default tagines

Anybody made tagines? I have thrown some, not dry enough to turn yet, but I
am wondering if I should glaze them. What do you all think?
Here some pictures of some off net
http://tagines.com/cat1.cfm
Annemarie

Old October 13th 04, 10:17 PM
Richard Kaszeta

"annemarie" writes:

Anybody made tagines? I have thrown some, not dry enough to turn yet, but I
am wondering if I should glaze them. What do you all think?
Here some pictures of some off net
http://tagines.com/cat1.cfm

I'd glaze the whole thing. The purpose of the tagine is to hold
moisture in, and the glazing helps. It also helps keep it clean.

I've got two I've thrown, one is low-fire terra cotta with a clear
glaze, the other is a high-fire white stoneware with a dark tenmoku
glaze. Both work quite well, but I prefer the latter (although mostly
since the latter has a much lighter lid, since it was made much later
in my pottery experience)

--
Richard W Kaszeta

http://www.kaszeta.org/rich
Old October 14th 04, 02:05 AM
Deborah M Riel

In article ,
annemarie wrote:
Anybody made tagines? I have thrown some, not dry enough to turn yet, but I
am wondering if I should glaze them. What do you all think?
Here some pictures of some off net
http://tagines.com/cat1.cfm
Annemarie

I threw one out of a flameware claybody, which I can use directly on the
stove. I glazed the inside of the lid and both the inside and outside
(minus the bottom, of course) of the base. I love using it--it works
really well. The flameware turns a nice toasty color when fired to
cone 10, but flameware glazes are very limited.

Question about your tagine--did you put a hole in the top or close it
completely? I did some research before throwing mine, and found
sources for both a hole and no hole. I opted to take the no hole
route, thinking that the steam should recirculate as part of the
cooking process. Works for me, but I was wondering what other people
did.

Deb R.

Old October 14th 04, 02:38 AM
annemarie

"Deborah M Riel" wrote in message
In article ,
annemarie wrote:
[...]

I haven't turned it yet but I will put a hole in when I do. I have made
nobs to fit in the hole so that you can then choose to have it open or
closed.

Old October 14th 04, 11:51 AM
wayne

Deb:
Would you be willing to share that flameware body recipe, or is it a
commercial clay body?

Best,
Wayne

--
Wayne Seidl
Key West, Florida, USA

Old October 14th 04, 12:00 PM
Corinne 'tite route

Le Thu, 14 Oct 2004 01:05:50 +0000 (UTC), Deborah M Riel a écrit :

Question about your tagine--did you put a hole in the top or close it
completely? I did some research before throwing mine, and found
sources for both a hole and no hole. I opted to take the no hole
route, thinking that the steam should recirculate as part of the
cooking process. Works for me, but I was wondering what other people
did.

I havent' turn any but I saw a lot in Marocco, without hole.

Corinne
Old October 14th 04, 02:22 PM
Deborah M Riel

In article ,
wayne wrote:
Deb:
Would you be willing to share that flameware body recipe, or is it a
commercial clay body?

Best,
Wayne

The flameware clay we used was (I believe) a claybody that Karen
Karnes developed. My teacher studied with her for awhile. We
actually had 2 slightly different claybodies--one with a lot of grog,
the other smoother. The highly grogged body ripped the skin right off
my hands when throwing it, but it looked nice. I preferred working
with the smoother clay for obvious reasons.

I'll check my notebook from when I was working with flameware and see
if I have any papers with recipes. I know I have a few glaze recipes
for flameware (and there are very few out there), but I don't know
about the clay itself. We purchased it premixed, but I may have some
information on it.

Deb R.
Old October 14th 04, 02:25 PM
Deborah M Riel

In article ,
annemarie wrote:

I haven't turned it yet but I will put a hole in when I do. I have made
nobs to fit in the hole so that you can then choose to have it open or
closed.

Nice solution--never thought of doing that!

Deb R.

Old October 14th 04, 08:28 PM
annemarie

annemarie wrote:

I haven't turned it yet but I will put a hole in when I do. I have made
nobs to fit in the hole so that you can then choose to have it open or
closed.

Nice solution--never thought of doing that!

Deb R.

Friend that ordered it had a picture of some like that. I didn't think it
up so I cannot claim it )