Carving bases, alabaster and otherwise

Old November 5th 03, 04:47 AM
Joe Ahearn

Default Carving bases, alabaster and otherwise

Hi,

I am about to need a base for a small (8" tall) found-wood carving. I
am thinking of using alabaster for the contrast, but looking at the
usual carving suppliers don't see any source for small amounts of
alabaster. Can anyone recommend a supplier, or a good source for bases
in general?

Thanks,
Joe Ahearn

Old November 5th 03, 09:28 PM
Joe Ahearn

Beautiful Dallas, Texas....

Thanks,
Joe

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 10:22:52 -0500, "Marc" wrote:

Where do you live, Joe?

.. .

Old November 7th 03, 07:17 PM
turt

Do you have any resources to make your own? I carve songbirds and make mine,
its not a biggie...
Will the carver

Old November 7th 03, 07:19 PM
turt

please have a peek
Will

--
http://www.geocities.com/hush88ca/Mi..._Carvings.html

Old November 7th 03, 08:33 PM
Joe Ahearn

Hi Will,

Thanks for your note. To answer your question, yep, I can make a wood
base, but this particular carving would look best with a stone base, I
think. I was hoping to find some alabaster, but think I may have found
some marble that will work.

Thanks for posting the link to your carvings. I really enjoyed looking
at them.

Best,
Joe Ahearn

On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 19:19:43 GMT, "turt"
wrote:

please have a peek
Will

Old November 8th 03, 08:41 AM
Princebilly1

Nice site and very good carvings Will

The sparrow hawk or Kestrel looks like a british sparrow hawk and the
chickadees are very similar to our blue tits.

Nice

Steve
Yorkshire
Old November 13th 03, 01:52 PM
Marc

Alabaster is found in mountainous regions. I get mine from Colorado...
http://www.coloradoalabaster.com/home.htm

"Joe Ahearn" wrote in message
news

Beautiful Dallas, Texas....