Might be off topic - reading slump

Old September 25th 08, 12:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

Default Might be off topic - reading slump

What's happening - are my favorite authors just not prolific enough?? Just
too many bad novels out there??? Or am I just in a slump????

Have already read the newest 500 Kingdoms book from Mercedes Lackey. The
latest Meg Winslow from Donna Andrews and the newest Vicky Bliss from
Elizabeth Peters.

I've tried some of the latest "hot" authors/topics. Can't get into the
vampires thing. My favorite romance author seems to have gone stale for
romances, but her new fantasy series is good... Still waiting for the newest
Sharon Shinn at the library. I've picked up some Ben Bova, but, as much as I
liked Mars Life, he's not for steady diet. Hopefully George RR Martin gets
the next book in the Ice and Fire series out before too much longer.

So who/what are you reading and why. I like mysteries, well done historical
novels, small doses of romance (really decent story lines and well written),
Regency Romps, some fantasy and some science fiction. In general, chick lit
and "serious novels" leave me cold - I want escapism, not reality.

Cheryl

Old September 25th 08, 01:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Donna

On Sep 25, 7:08*am, Cheryl Isaak wrote:
[...]

George has a blog on Livejournal which I read. No set in stone
publishing date yet. We have a neighbor whose license plate is
Wntrfel. LOL

I think that there is way too much crap being published these days.
And while I do read crap, mysteries being my favorite sort, I would
like more than light reading.I find it very disappointing to look at
the books on the best seller list. I guess it's time to go back to
the classics and the biographies.

That said, I am currently reading an entertaining book about Zelda
Fitzgerald, Edna Ferber, Dorothy Parker, and Edna St. Vincent Millay
during the decade of the 1920s. It's called Bobbed Hair and Bathtub
Gin and I like it.

Donna in Virginia
Old September 25th 08, 01:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C in California

Donna wrote:

That said, I am currently reading an entertaining book about Zelda
Fitzgerald, Edna Ferber, Dorothy Parker, and Edna St. Vincent Millay
during the decade of the 1920s. It's called Bobbed Hair and Bathtub
Gin and I like it.

Donna in Virginia

Added to my Amazon list.....

--
Karen C - California
Editor/Proofreader www.IntlProofingConsortium.com

SEPTEMBER IS CHRONIC PAIN AWARENESS MONTH

Finished 9/9/08 - Butterfly Drama (Dimensions)

WIP: Nativity from "Countdown to Christmas" book, Oriental Kimono
(Janlynn),
MLI The Teacher (gift to the library), Bethany Angel (Marbek)
Retrieved from UFO pile: Marbek's Snow Angel, MLI Farmers Market

CFSfacts -- where we give you the facts and dispel the myths
Myths, with research cites: http://www.aacfs.org/images/pdfs/myths.pdf
Newest research blog: http://journals.aol.com/kmc528/Lifeasweknowit/
Old September 25th 08, 02:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Rick[_3_]

[...]

Have you tried going back to some of the old classics? Some of them
aren't that well written compared to some of the authors of today.
However, for the times they were written, the storylines were quite
interesting.

Regards,

Rick Boesen
Olivet, MI
www.FiberArtFest.com
www.QuesoCabezaFarm.com
Old September 25th 08, 02:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Lucille[_3_]

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
[...]

I'm just finishing a book written by Joan Didion called The Year of Magical
Thinking. I think she wrote it as a catharsis after her husband, John Dunne
died suddenly and her daughter was desperately ill. She just reported on
her thoughts in the year following the disasters and it's basically a book
about mourning.

It's an odd subject but she writes well and it makes for interesting
reading.

Lucille

Old September 25th 08, 02:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lewmew

I I’m not a science fiction or romance reader, really like mysteries,
suspense and a good “novel.” Here’s some mystery series I’ve enjoyed
in the past and are probably not on the best seller list:

Earl Emerson - his Thomas Black series - I like those a lot more than
his firefighter stories.

The early J.A. Jance series about J.P. Beaumont, particularly back in
the bad old days when he drank too much - Joanna Brady is not nearly
as interesting IMNSHO

The Kat books by Karen Kijewski

Have you read Mark Haddon’s The Curious Incident of the Yellow Dog in
the Night? Very well done.

Our local “One Read” this year is The Whistling Season”. Better than
some choices - good look at life in Montana - and have to love a
heroine who can’t cook!

And I know he’s way overexposed, but some of the more recent Stephen
King is interesting in looking at human relationships - Lisey’s Story
was really good and I’m reading Duma Key - you can tell the latter was
really influenced by his own brush with death. Don’t bother with Cell
though.

Linda

Old September 25th 08, 03:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 9/25/08 9:13 AM, in article ,
"Lucille" lzoltynospam@now at comcast..net wrote:

[...]

Too much petty but annoying stuff going on personally to want anything
"reality". Either I want to escape to someplace else or laugh.

Old September 25th 08, 03:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joan E.

On Sep 25, 6:08*am, Cheryl Isaak wrote:

So who/what are you reading and why. *

Well, the newest Christopher Paolini, Brisingr just came out, if
you're into dragons. I've been reading a lot of fantasy lately:
Melissa Marr has Wicked lovely and Ink exchange, both fairy stories,
although Ink exchange is much darker than WL and, imo, better; Jeff
Mariotte has the Witch season series; Nancy Holder has her Wicked
series - another witch series.

I've tried some of the latest "hot" authors/topics. Can't get into the vampires thing.

Stephenie Meyer's Twilight series? I thought they were really good,
especially for the young adult audience. She also has a sort-of scifi
one out that is her first adult novel, The host, which I thought was
really good, too. It's an alien-possession story but there's not
really much to the "science" part of the the "sci"fi, which is
probably why I liked it better than other scifi.

I've *just* started on a biography, Lucrezia Borgia, by Sarah
Bradford. Guess why? I haven't read many biographies and I'm
hoping it's not too dry. She sounds like a *very* interesting lady.
I've never known much about her so thought I should eddicate
myself.

Joan
Old September 25th 08, 03:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Lucille[_3_]

[...]

Oh how I understand that feeling. I even asked a friend to lend me some
books that are just a couple of steps above Harlequin to keep me reading. I
started one but it's so badly written that I may never finish it.

I'm kind of off reading and the Didion book is the first one in a long time
to get me interested.

I really must get back to the library and get myself a couple of good
mysteries or spy stories, or a decernt historical novel that's "almost"
historically accurate but uses poetic license.