Whats Everyone Working On?

Old September 14th 04, 09:49 AM
Roberta Zollner

Is this the whirligig pattern from APQ? Saw some back issues at the LQS, and
I was really impressed with that one! (It was on the cover.) Are you telling
me I'd be better off to forget about it?
Roberta in D

"Sharon Harper" wrote in message
u...
Lemme see. I still have the Nightmare...er...whirligig quilt which

because
I'm up to row 5 DH says I'm nearly half way there (gotta join 13 then add
some extra bits). I've got the centrepieces (2 PP stars) for the DD's
quilts. And I really really wanna start some kids quilts. That's me!

--
Sharon from Melbourne Australia (thanking the angels that the christmas
stockings from last year will do for this year too!)

"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
news
Well? ;-)
What sort of things does everyone have going at the moment in the quilt
family? Dragging out PIGS or finishing up UFOs and WIPS or have new

quilts
started appearing?
I'm still working on the queen size LC borders, getting ready to MQ

the
siggy quilt, plotting the next borders on DDs quilt, and playing with
layouts for Mike's 'Things go better with Coke" quilt. Sometime in the
middle of those I need to design and make two quilted Christmas

stockings.
Lets hear your list!
Diana
--
Heart and soul can make up for technical lacking in any form of art, but

let
the heart be lacking and all the perfection means nothing.

Old September 14th 04, 11:36 AM
georg

Pat in Virginia wrote:

Good explanation georg! I don't know why you don't like loop starts
though. I really prefer those for counted cross stitch. Loop starts are
terrific for sewing buttons and other applications too. I use them in
quilting when I hand sew labels and bindings.
PAT in VA/USA

Because I'm lazy. It's easier to tie a knot and let the thread hold
the needle, so I don't have to worry about losing the needle. The other
way, I have to rethread the needle every now and then.

Certainly though, this is taking my fear away from using them. I'm
getting good at them.

-georg

Old September 14th 04, 12:49 PM
Sharon Harper

Yep this is the one - It's a christmas issue 2002. I started not long after
I got the magazine and I'm still going. I find it hard going because it's
all curves (and I stuffed up by reversing the template so I've had to do
some innovative design elements!). I'm used to them now but heck I never
want to see another! LOL. It wasn't on the cover though. I would have
much rather done ANY of the ones that were on the cover! If you want to do
it - go for it. It's certainly an attractive quilt.

Oh and a bit of trivia about the original whirligig quilt. The woman who
designed and made it was taking it to a show along with some others she'd
made. Checked em through airline baggage.....yep you guessed it - stolen.
I think there's a link to a piccy of it and the others on the APQ website.

Oh and I'm also assuming you meant Australian Patchwork and Quilting!

Cheers!

Old September 14th 04, 01:23 PM
Diana Curtis

Sounds like a fun shirt.
Wouldnt any shirt that you currently own be considered a 'quilter's' shirt?
;-)
Diana, wearing a simple quilter's shirt, no sleeves, scoop neck... green

--
Heart and soul can make up for technical lacking in any form of art, but let
the heart be lacking and all the perfection means nothing.

" Ellison" wrote in message
. com...
Howdy!
I took a big white shirt, lightweight cheapy,
and sewed scraps to it, overlaid and appliquéd;
added some yo-yos and buttons to it,
and have worn it for the past 8 yrs. to all kinds of quilt shows
and meet-ups. It's one of 2 that I took to Houston;
you saw the one w/ the doilies and leftover blocks
and all those buttons, I think.
This Quilter's Shirt, having a double layer of fabric, is rather warm;
the sleeves are still uncovered white, making the shirt look like
a vest. It's cheap, it's economical, it blends into quilting crowds. g
It's getting a bit frayed, altho' it's not hard to patch the patches. g
So I've started another one.
Can't go wrong, 'cause it's just made up. Cheap works for me!

Thanks for asking.
Ragmop/Sandy--I could put a picture on the yahoo site...some day...

Old September 14th 04, 01:44 PM
Pat in Virginia

Hi Donna! I saw the picture ... that is one cool tote bag. I
wonder about putting the ruler across the bottom. Won't the
weight of the fabric and tools weigh it down? I was concerned the
ruler would bow or even break.
Ages ago, when I was new to quilting, I made a tote bag for
cutting equipment, tools, etc. Neat fabric, lots of pockets.
Unfortunately I put the opening on the short side, so it is way
too deep. Yes, I can and do still use it, but it is much better
to have the opening on the long side, as you have done.

PAT in VA/USA

Donna in Idaho (remove invalid) wrote:

I just this minute finished (except for the BIG button needed for closure) a
BBBIIIGGG quilted tote bag that will hold a big quilt (or a small child).
It has something like 12 pockets on it (including one under the bottom of
the bag that will hold one of the new 8 1/2" x 24" rulers. It measures
approximately 19" deep and 37" wide.

I'm afraid the biggest problem will be - I'm going to get it so full I won't
be able to lift it!

Old September 14th 04, 02:14 PM
David & Barbara Schmidt

Well, we just made 12 pints On Sunday, we ran out of jars and had to get
some more to make the mildest heat tonight, and we'll be making more
jars on Saturday. We spend every weekend for over a month making it.

We make a veggie (No Carne) version, and also the same recipe with bacon
in it which gives it a smoky flavor. (Carne)

We make 6 different heats from "Gringo" to "Diablo"

Gringo
Muy Piquito Picante
Piquito Picante
Picante
Muy Picante
Diablo

I can take orders if anyone wants some, just e-mail me privately. I'll
have to figure out postage cost and add that in.

Babs

CNYstitcher wrote:
Hey Babs.....what do I have to do to order some of your salsa?? DH
likes it as many alarm hot as possible, I'm a so mild it's barely more
than a tomato...lol Would love to get some for him for the stocking
this year - he's a junk-food-junkie

Larisa

Old September 14th 04, 02:20 PM
David & Barbara Schmidt

The Bazaar is the first weekend in December. Yes, it will be at the
church. I'll be mailing the locals here a flyer as soon as we have them
ready. I'm going to have the salsa, the leftover stockings from last
year (CHEAP!) and all this stuff I'm working on now. Might also try
making some spicy pecans if I have time. LOL.

Babs

DQLTS wrote:
Barb
When is the bazaar this year and is it in the same place?
DH would like to try the salsa this year.
I guess your feeling a little better if you are getting things
done for the bazaar.

Diana in Dallas
"David & Barbara Schmidt" wrote in message

Just this weekend I finished 4 I Spy quilt tops. I have the backing, just
need to get some batting.

I still have that quilt for My Mom that I've been working on all year. I
am giving up on trying to make the House for the middle, I can't get it to
look the way I want it to and am being too picky I guess. I'm just going
to sew the Mapleleaf blocks together with some scrappy 9 patches I think
using the same materials.

Also found a few small kids panels that I had bought, I need to get those
quilted before the bazaar too.

Hubby and I made our first batch of salsa yesterday. 12 pints. Lots more
to do...

Babs

Old September 14th 04, 02:49 PM
Anna Belle

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 08:19:07 -0500, "Diana Curtis"
wrote:

Well? ;-)
What sort of things does everyone have going at the moment in the quilt
family? Dragging out PIGS or finishing up UFOs and WIPS or have new quilts
started appearing?
I'm still working on the queen size LC borders, getting ready to MQ the
siggy quilt, plotting the next borders on DDs quilt, and playing with
layouts for Mike's 'Things go better with Coke" quilt. Sometime in the
middle of those I need to design and make two quilted Christmas stockings.
Lets hear your list!
Diana

Working on putting the house back together. As of 5:10 Monday, WE
HAVE POWER!!
Actually while evacuated, I did finish one applique block, and made a
bunch of yoyo's. No intended project for either, but they were easy
to take and only required a short attention time. Hard to concentrate
during stressful times, but quilting sure does help.
Anna Belle in Palm Bay and finally in the light

Old September 14th 04, 03:44 PM
Donna in Idaho \(remove invalid\)

Pat, the lady that taught the class has been carrying rulers in her bag for
years. Her only comment was when you set the bag down to be sure it's on a
flat surface (floor, counter, etc.) and not, for instance, on a metal chair
without support for the entire bag and ruler. The opening for the ruler is
on the short side of the bag, but the pocket isn't so deep that the ruler
gets lost in there.

--
Donna in Idaho
Project Linus Boise/SW Idaho Coordinator

Remove "invalid" to reply