question about fusible batting again

Old August 25th 04, 06:07 AM
Mystified One

Default question about fusible batting again

OK, I went ahead and used some fusible batting on a twin quilt. I know,
people have complained about it, but I wanted to see for myself.

I did this on a tile floor, since I didn't want to have to keep moving the
quilt while I ironed. I also figured the heat from the iron wouldn't harm
the tile floor.

To my surprise, I couldn't get the batting to fuse to the backing!

I did what the directions told me exactly, including the wool setting,
steam, and 3-4 seconds per iron, but for some reason the backing wouldn't
fuse at all.

I ended up hand basting the quilt, and now I'll machine stitch it.

So my question:

Has anyone had any real luck working with this stuff? Is there anyone who
swears by it, or thinks it's a great product? Is there anyone willing to
give up traditional batting for it?

Old August 25th 04, 06:26 AM
Pauline O'Connell

I only tried it once - a few months ago - & I hated it. I had the same
problems you had. Couldn't get it to stick. I've heard others like it. I
thought I had a bad batch! Personally, I like the spray adhesive!

Pauline

Old August 25th 04, 10:59 AM
Patti

I have given up regular batting for fusible; but I must say straight
away that this is not for bed quilts. I mostly make wall hangings and
miniatures (I've 'done' all the beds for the moment! I have found
adhesion sometimes a problem. I do use a hotter setting than wool! but
that's because I have never seen any 'official' instructions.
On my smaller quilts, I do turn them over, once I have steamed the top,
and steam the backing also. I do also go all round the edges with my
basting gun, just to keep the edges from coming unglued. Sometimes I
also re-steam the 'body' of the quilt if it seems to have worked loose
during quilting - with all the shoving and turning. Nevertheless, I do
think it's good - for my back and knees! If I were doing mostly bed
quilts or quilts for children who would like to snuggle their quilts, I
don't think I'd be happy at the feel.
..
In article ,
Mystified One writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old August 25th 04, 01:09 PM
DDM

I used Hobbs fusible and I loved it. I laid out the backing, batting and
top as you usually do and then fused the top to the batting. Then I turned
the whole thing over, smoothed the backing (now on the top), made sure it
was properly placed and then fused that too. Worked like a charm and the
quilt was queen size!

Dee in LeRoy, NY

om...

Old August 25th 04, 03:58 PM
BarbQuilts

I have only used a June Taylor polyester one for a charity quilt. It did
fuse, but it's stiff as a board which makes quilting a bit hard, however it
does soften up when washed.

It fuses all 3 layers together at once, but the back can get wrinkles
easily. I just did a 49" square quilt the other day and hated it. I'm
going to not use steam and it will pull apart and then I'm tossing the batt.

--
BarbQuilts
Take out the Cat to reply

Old August 25th 04, 05:08 PM
Marcella Tracy Peek

I love it too and require it for my beginner class. However, I only
like the HOBBS brand. Forget the other stuff, it's too unpredictable.

I love it for machine quilting but I don't use it for handquilting, I
find it too stiff and sticky for that.

marcella

Old August 25th 04, 05:26 PM
nana2b

I only tried it once and it didn;t even stick to the batting when I unrolled
it from the package. It was too unpredictable for a large project, but I
did use it up on WH and mini-quilts.

--
Sugar & Spice Quilts by Linda E
http://community.webshots.com/user/frame242

Old August 25th 04, 08:43 PM
Sharon Gates

HATE IT !!!!!!!!!! It didn't fuse for me, either.......and the hard glue
spots - yuck!
Sharon in Montreal

Batting Question? muse9 Quilting 33 July 14th 04 05:20 PM
VERY BAD EXPERIENCE with June Taylor Fusible Batting Lisa Caryl Quilting 24 May 16th 04 02:05 AM
size fo batting question Ann Quilting 2 April 14th 04 05:20 PM
Fusible batting - Thanks aluap Quilting 1 August 31st 03 10:32 PM
Fusible batting aluap Quilting 5 August 31st 03 05:38 PM