suggestions needed for mending

Old March 10th 04, 02:50 PM
Deb in AR

Default suggestions needed for mending

Seeing Kay's above post about mending her DGS's quilt got me thinking about
a comforter I put together several years ago. It's just your basic 9-patch
made of scraps in pinks with solid bright pink squares and borders to bring
it together. I tied it instead of quilting as it was just for me to take to
college. Anyways, over the years some of the 9-patch seams have frayed and
well...the poor thing has a few BIG holes. I mean holes big enough to put
your hand in. My 5 yr old DD has taken up with it, so I really don't want
to toss it. Any ideas on mending? I've never mended a quilt before, so I'm
not sure the best way to do it. I've thought about taking it apart and
making pillows, but I'm not sure if DD would approve of that. :-) Is there a
way to mend this thing? Here's the bad part....I don't have any of the
material that I used. It was all scraps my mom had. Knowing her, she
probably still has them! (Being a good quilter, she never throws away
scraps.) Anyone have any suggestions?

Mom's motto: She who dies with the most fabric, wins.

--
Deb in AR
A desert-rat at heart!

Old March 10th 04, 05:24 PM
Becky

Since this is a utilitarian quilt, I would have the 5 year old help pick out
something she likes from your scraps or your stash, make some new nine
patches large enough to cover the holes, and sew them on like big patches.

Becky

m...

Old March 10th 04, 06:52 PM
Deb in AR

I hadn't thought about that. Thanks Becky! It would be a good way to get
DD interested in it. I'm hoping one day to teach her to quilt, too.

--
Deb in AR
A desert-rat at heart!

"Becky" bbkelher@remove spamaculink.net wrote in message
Since this is a utilitarian quilt, I would have the 5 year old help pick

out
something she likes from your scraps or your stash, make some new nine
patches large enough to cover the holes, and sew them on like big patches.

Becky

m...

Old March 10th 04, 06:57 PM
Louise

This happened to my niece. We ended up cutting out heart shapes big enough
to cover the holes (but circles or random shapes would do just fine) and
then appliquéd them on. We had some fabric that matched and some that didn't
(but still went well), and she loved it!
--
Louise in Iowa
nieland4 at mchsi dot com

m...

Old March 10th 04, 07:08 PM
Lisa Ellis

Deb in AR wrote:

[...]

I'd be tempted to take it apart and recut and sew the top, making a
slightly smaller top. I'd replace any fabric that is beyond its useful
life, put in new batting and retie. Your dd could help, perhaps with
sewing, and at least with arranging the pieces. My reasoning is that
once a quilt gets to the stage you are describing repairs are like
cascading tiles. You put a patch on top of a hole and worn area and
another hole appears. You wind up with a crazy quilt.

lisae

Old March 10th 04, 07:51 PM
Deb in AR

Good point. More work that way, but probably worth it in the long run.

--
Deb in AR
A desert-rat at heart!

"Lisa Ellis" wrote in message
Deb in AR wrote:

[...]

Q-Snap sit-on or lap frame suggestions needed Kathy Tabb Needlework 3 January 24th 05 04:46 PM
Suggestions needed for tinting glass Ron Glass 2 January 4th 05 11:11 PM
Suggestions Needed C. Mathews Quilting 9 September 3rd 03 10:32 PM
National Counted Cross Stitch Show - theme for 2004 - suggestions needed. Margaret Lee Needlework 0 August 22nd 03 07:18 PM
YBR quilting suggestions needed Gail M. Quilting 8 July 16th 03 01:29 PM