Might be off topic - reading slump

Old October 2nd 08, 05:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

Default Might be off topic - reading slump

On 10/2/08 10:38 AM, in article , "ellice"
wrote:

On 9/29/08 6:15 AM, "Cheryl Isaak" wrote:

On 9/28/08 6:08 PM, in article
, "Liz from
Humbug" wrote:

On Sep 25, 7:18*am, Cheryl Isaak wrote:
On 9/25/08 9:13 AM, in article ,
"Lucille" lzoltynospam@now at comcast..net wrote:

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
What's happening - are my favorite authors just not prolific enough??
Just
too many bad novels out there??? Or am I just in a slump????

Have already read the newest 500 Kingdoms book from Mercedes Lackey. The
latest Meg Winslow from Donna Andrews and the newest Vicky Bliss from
Elizabeth Peters.

I've tried some of the latest "hot" authors/topics. Can't get into the
vampires thing. My favorite romance author seems to have gone stale for
romances, but her new fantasy series is good... Still waiting for the
newest
Sharon Shinn at the library. I've picked up some Ben Bova, but, as much
as
liked Mars Life, he's not for steady diet. Hopefully George RR Martin
gets
the next book in the Ice and Fire series out before too much longer.

So who/what are you reading and why. *I like mysteries, well done
historical
novels, small doses of romance (really decent story lines and well
written),
Regency Romps, some fantasy and some science fiction. *In general, chick
lit
and "serious novels" leave me cold - I want escapism, not reality.

Cheryl

I'm just finishing a book written by Joan Didion called The Year of
Magical
Thinking. *I think she wrote it as a catharsis after her husband, John
Dunne
died suddenly and her daughter was desperately ill. *She just reported on
her thoughts in the year following the disasters and it's basically a book
about mourning.

It's an odd subject but she writes well and it makes for interesting
reading.

Lucille

Too much petty but annoying stuff going on personally to want anything
"reality". Either I want to escape to someplace else or laugh.

These will let you escape to another time and place and to laugh a
little. And, they are on topic! The Magdalene la Batarde series from
Roberta Gellis was lots of fun to read. There are currently four books
available:
A Mortal Bane, A Personal Devil, Bone of Contention and Chains of
Folly. Roberta is apparently planning/writing a fifth in the series.
They are mysteries that take place back in "OLD England" during
medieval times. Magdalene is in charge of a group of women who, well,
"work nights" for lack of another term that would attract the kind of
attention that rctn doesn't need. :-)) During the days, one of the
things they do to bring in extra income is to design and stitch alter
cloths and fine linens. :-))))) The Captain of the Guard (I think)
is a friend of Magdalene's and is also in love with her. He is the
one who tends to involve them in the mysteries. The history is
accurate and the mysteries are fun and interesting.
Liz from Humbug

She's writing a new one - thank heavens. I really enjoyed them but thought
she's given up on the series with the long break between books.

I adore the Vicky Bliss series from Elizabeth Peters. But I think in some
ways, she's written herself into a corner with the characters. Ditto for
Joan Hess's Magoddy series.
Cheryl

Yes, but Joan's characters are still an hysterical light read. And I like
her other series as well.

Ellice

I can't stand the Claire Malloy series anymore. While everyone else grows,
the daughter still whines and needs a good slap acrost the face.

Old October 2nd 08, 06:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

Humbug" wrote:

[...]

LOL - getting close to home????? I just think of it as a writer's tool.
But, the daughter is annoying - though I thought in the last 2 she and her
friend had gotten a bit better.

Ellice

Old October 2nd 08, 07:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ericka

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
On 10/2/08 10:08 AM, in article ,
"Ericka" wrote:

Oh, thought of another one... Have you read Three Bags
Full: A Sheep Detective Story by Leonie Swann? I found it
different from the usual run of the mill, and quite amusing.
I think it's just out in paperback now.
Is that the one were the sheep herder is found dead and the flock starts
investigating?

Yes, although I think maybe it wasn't the sheep herder
who died?

Could be..... Didn't strike me at the time and I returned it. I'll go back
for another try.

It took me longer than usual to get into the book,
but I was quite enjoying it by the end.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old October 2nd 08, 07:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

Humbug" wrote:

[...]

Nah - didn't like the daughter from the first reading which was in about
1990.

Before kids by two years and besides, the daughter always reminded me of a
friend's sister. Whine, whine, bitch, over the top drama....

Old October 2nd 08, 09:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Susan Hartman

ellice wrote:

And for uplifting -I've read all the Alexander McCall Smith "No 1 Ladies
Detective Agency" books - I really adore them. They make me keep life in
perspective.

Ellice

I love the No. 1 ladies Detective Agency! I haven't read the newest
yet, though I'm on the waiting list at the library. Great stories!

Louisa

This one is just as good! If you were closer, I'd lend you mine. I'm
thinking of actually reading some of his other series.

ellice

Alexander McCall Smith is another of those writers who is such a
storyteller, it comes across really well on audiobook. I read #1
Detective Agency and really enjoyed it, but later listened to it on
audiobook and liked it even better. I listened to one of the Isabel
Dalhousie books and liked it, even after trying to read one and it
didn't "catch" me, so I put it down.

sue

--
Susan Hartman/Dirty Linen
The Magazine of Folk and World Music
Old October 6th 08, 07:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Roy/Jane Kay

Cherylis,
Maybe you need some new authors to add to your list?

Have you read books by S. M. Stirling ? I read the Nantucket trilogy, the
Corvalis trilogy, and am now on #2 of a set that joins the first 2
trilogies. Each of the first 2 sets is a satisfyingly complete story. I am
really enjoying that the female characters get to go adventuring same as the
guys and behave like sensible people.

For romance and fantasy try Wen Spencer's books. My favorites:
Tinker and The Wolf Who Rules -a 2 book set with female engineering genius
meets sexy science -based elf
A Brother's Price- world where men are in short supply and women do the
dangerous work

Lois McMaster Bujold writes science fiction with weird human cultures and
great characters. My favorite is Miles Vorkosigan, an intelligent,
hyperactive, vertically challenged hero with brittle bones. First in the
series about him is The Warrior's Apprentice.

Jane in NE Ohio. There has been frost on my car in the mornings, the leaves
are changing to red & gold, and the corn-on-the-cob season is over. Summer
zoomed by like a hummingbird-pretty but too fast to get a good look.

Old October 8th 08, 05:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

I want to thank all who added to this extremely interesting subject ,
i read many names of books [ and authors i never heard about , and
searched on line and in library lists, to learn more about them ,
I saw many names and authors i knew, which is also delightful , to see
how other people think of them ,,,
Thus Thank you all ..
mirjam
Old October 8th 08, 02:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joan E.

On Oct 6, 1:15*pm, "Roy/Jane Kay" wrote:

Summer zoomed by like a hummingbird-pretty but too fast to get a good look.

Jane, I *love* this saying! Did you make it up yourself?

Fall seems to be going just as fast, though. sigh

Joan