Searching For A Pattern: Supperman "S" Logo

Old August 10th 08, 11:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
[email protected]

Default Searching For A Pattern: Supperman "S" Logo

Hi folks

I'm trying to find a pattern for the "S" that Superman wears on his
chest. I've been working on a pattern based on images found online
but so far I'm just not all that happy with the results. Anyone out
there have such a thing?

Thanks!

~Dave
Old August 11th 08, 05:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Elske

schreef in bericht
| Hi folks
|
| I'm trying to find a pattern for the "S" that Superman wears on his
| chest. I've been working on a pattern based on images found online
| but so far I'm just not all that happy with the results. Anyone out
| there have such a thing?

Tried to find it for you but without any results...
Maybe if you have some free time you can search on some sites...
http://www.thestorefinder.com/glass/..._patterns.html
--
Elske
www.elske.nl

Old August 12th 08, 12:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
[email protected]

Default Searching For A Pattern: Supperman "S" Logo - SupermanLogo-CleanUp-Pattern.bmp (0/1)

Thanks for the link but still no luck.

Here's what I've come up with.

~Dave

On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 18:55:54 +0200, "Elske" wrote:

schreef in bericht
.. .

Old August 12th 08, 08:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Elske

Default Searching For A Pattern: Supperman "S" Logo - SupermanLogo-CleanUp-Pattern.bmp (1/1)

schreef in bericht

(I'm believe attachments are not allowed here...)
That looks okay. Can't you use that one?
--
Elske
www.elske.nl

Old August 14th 08, 01:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
[email protected]

Thanks for your help - pretty rare in this group.

I've worked-over this pattern for hours to get it from the original
image into something I could print out. I used Rapid Resizer (no,
I'm NOT trying to sell anyone on this app) to enlarge the logo to
about 18" x 14". When I printed it on my DesignJet 700, all the
angles got rounded-off. Does anyone else here use Rapid Resizer and
have similar problems?

I was about to print the same image in a pro sign app when my printer
ran out of paper It uses 36" roll paper which usually takes a
couple of days to get - nobody near me stocks it.

Sorry if I hurt anyone's little feelings for posting an image of
(gasp!) a stained glass pattern. There's so much BS to wade through
here I guess I must have missed the FAQ.

Elske, thanks again for your help.

I would post my web site where I have my glass displayed but I'm sure
someone would interpret it as spam.

Regards,

~Dave

On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 21:27:14 +0200, "Elske" wrote:

schreef in bericht
.. .

Old August 15th 08, 06:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Bill Browne

Dave:

I doubt you hurt anybody's feelings by posting a stained glass pattern.
Yes, there's enough BS in this group to hide the FAQ. The concern comes
from the fact that this is an international group, where Microsoft and high
speed internet may not be available. For some folks, a bmp or jpg
attachment might be a long download that they can never see. Best policy in
these groups it to post your picture to your personal web page, then paste
links to them in the newsgroup.

wrote in message
[...]

. ..

Old August 16th 08, 12:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
[email protected]

Hey Steve!
Thanks for your very polite response - another rare item in this
group.

Just a few quick comments from someone who's been in & around Usenet
(News Groups) for the better part of 15 years.

a) Not sure if you have stats to back up the statement that "MOST"
news servers srtip binaries and that "very few" saw the image. I'll
give you the benefit of the doubt since I don't really care. One
person saw it and offered a kind response. Good enough for me.

I suppose the free servers that come with a starter internet
connection probably do strip out the binaries these days. That didn't
used to be the case but storeage costs money and investing in a real
news server would just eat away at the bottom line. I pay a whopping
$70 (US) per year for NewsGuy*, a "premium" news service. They host
every group, great or small, and do not block, censor, or in any way
interfere with posted content. Try it - you might like it

b) Sorry - I havn't read the charter. I'm sure it's full of all sorts
of wonderful ideals including language about not being mean,
obnoxious, or a general pain in the butt.

c) Wow, man - general "rules" for something international in scope.
What a concept. I suppose next we should try to close down/censor
those web pages with all the nekkid girlie pics on 'em...

d) Agent, NewsPro, NewsLeacher, etc, all of which have great free
versions, fully support the viewing of binary files whether they be
stained glass patterns or mp3 music files. I can highly recommend any
of them over Outlook Express or any other news reader that cannot
directly display binaries.

Come to think of it, I can't think of any app other than Outlook
Express that can attach to a news server and NOT display binaries.
What the heck are you using?!

As for this "group", my god! I started lurking here almost 2 years
ago when I 1st started working with stained glass. My 1st impression
was what a bunch of whiney 3rd-graders! Nothing but alledged
professionals (in that they claim to get paid for their work) ripping
each other back and forth! Complaining about shrinking profit margins
and how eBay is ruining everything! No pointers to instructional web
sites, no offers to share techniques. And woe be unto he who dare
post a URL that might have some sort of commercial connection!

Again, Steve, thanks for your polite response. I'm not trying to bust
your balls here but some of your statements I just couldn't let stand

And what's so wrong with changing things a little bit around here?
How old is that charter? Has it ever been updated? Technology changes
at the speed of light - let's get with the times! Maybe we should
start posting some pattern files and maybe a finished project or 2.
Not everyone has or wants a web site.

Here's the address for mine:

www.belami2.com

I use HostMonster.com*, an excellent service.

I don't offer anything directly for sale, unless maybe you'd like a
gently used, 26' Rinker with trailer for about $12k.

OK, enough babbling for 1 evening. Those pieces I cut last night
aren't going to foil themselves!

~Dave

I have no cute signature.

*NOT a commercial endorsement! Although if you do happen to sign up,
tell 'em I sent you - I think I get a t-shirt or something.

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 11:57:09 -0400, Steve Ackman
wrote:

In , on Thu, 14 Aug 2008
07:27:38 -0500, , wrote:

Sorry if I hurt anyone's little feelings for posting an image of
(gasp!) a stained glass pattern.

a) MOST news servers strip off binaries. Mine
certainly does, so I saw no image. Very few
people who read rcg saw it.
b) It's against the charter.
c) It's against Usenet rules in general.
d) It's not viewable in most newsreaders anyway.

There's so much BS to wade through
here I guess I must have missed the FAQ.

The Charter is posted twice a month. The group has
such low traffic lately, there's no way it could have
been missed except intentionally.

I would post my web site where I have my glass displayed but I'm sure
someone would interpret it as spam.

Interesting. You blatantly violate the most basic
of all usenet rules and then sarcastically apologize,
then refrain from posting the exact thing that this
group is for.
Check that "interesting" and replace with "amazing."

Old August 16th 08, 05:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Steve Ackman

In , on Fri, 15 Aug 2008
18:52:39 -0500, , wrote:

Just a few quick comments from someone who's been in & around Usenet
(News Groups) for the better part of 15 years.

a) Not sure if you have stats to back up the statement that "MOST"
news servers srtip binaries and that "very few" saw the image.

Binaries are only allowed in groups with "binaries"
(or the mispelled binaires). Any server that allows
them in non-binary groups is misconfigured.

I'll
give you the benefit of the doubt since I don't really care. One
person saw it and offered a kind response. Good enough for me.

Well... if you don't care if people see your graphics,
why bother with them at all?

I suppose the free servers that come with a starter internet
connection probably do strip out the binaries these days.

All properly configured servers strip them out of
non-binary groups. Think about it. What do you
suppose the "binaries" in alt.binaries.coffee (for
instance) means?

Even your own NSP tells you not to do it... but if you
don't read the charters of groups you post to, I don't
suppose you've read the TOS of your own news provider?

...are not permitted on the service. This may also
encompass situations where binary content is being
misposted to non-binary newsgroups, or where multimedia
files are being posted to non-multimedia newsgroups.
Since there are existing newsgroups that cater to
specific binary and multimedia content, there is no
reason to mispost that content into inappropriate
forums.

That didn't used to be the case but storeage costs
money and investing in a real news server would just
eat away at the bottom line.

That's always been the case. Matter of fact, the
NNTP protocol was designed for text-only, and is
poorly adapted to, and extremely inefficient for
binaries.

I pay a whopping
$70 (US) per year for NewsGuy*, a "premium" news service. They host
every group, great or small, and do not block, censor, or in any way
interfere with posted content. Try it - you might like it

I've had something like 20 different news servers,
so I know what I like. (I like complete news service
included with my ISP fees, but that seems to be going
the way of the dodo. If I were to need something other
than a combo of teranews and aioe, I'd buy a 110GB
block from astraweb for $25, which would probably last
at least 10 years.

b) Sorry - I havn't read the charter. I'm sure it's full of all sorts
of wonderful ideals including language about not being mean,
obnoxious, or a general pain in the butt.

In general, it's a good idea to read the charter of
any group before posting there. It's also a good idea
to read the TOS/AUP of the news service you post through.
Are you SURE you've been around Usenet for more than a
few days?

c) Wow, man - general "rules" for something international in scope.
What a concept.

Yes, there are all sorts of rules governing spam,
binaries, copyrighted material, illegal stuff... and
then on top of those are the rules specific to your
ISP/NSP referred to as AUP or TOS. (Acceptable Use
Policy and Terms of Service, respectively)

I suppose next we should try to close down/censor
those web pages with all the nekkid girlie pics on 'em...

Where have you been? In June, Mr Cuomo managed to
get all the binary groups removed from either Bellsouth
or Verizon, all the alt* groups removed from the other,
and the entire news service removed from Time-Warner/
RoadRunner because of "child porn concerns."

d) Agent, NewsPro, NewsLeacher, etc, all of which have great free
versions, fully support the viewing of binary files whether they be
stained glass patterns or mp3 music files. I can highly recommend any
of them over Outlook Express or any other news reader that cannot
directly display binaries.

I wouldn't know about any Windows software, nor
would I care to. (Oh, wait, I did try Agent under
wine for a few days. I sure pity the folks stuck
with that! ;-)

Come to think of it, I can't think of any app other than Outlook
Express that can attach to a news server

"Attach" to a news server? I've never heard it put
quite that way before. Are you sure you've been
around Usenet more than 15 minutes?

and NOT display binaries.

Tin, slrn, trn, nn, Nettamer, rn off the top of my
head, not to mention the nasty elephant in the room,
Googack (sorry, I can't bring myself to put that
abomination in the same sentence with proper
newsreaders.

What the heck are you using?!

I use the best newsreader in the world. It actually
allows me to configure which headers I see. I have
User-Agent set as one that shows up along with From,
Date, Subject, so I see at a glance what everyone is
using. Sorry yours can't do the same. ;-)

As for this "group", my god! I started lurking here almost 2 years
ago when I 1st started working with stained glass. My 1st impression
was what a bunch of whiney 3rd-graders! Nothing but alledged
professionals (in that they claim to get paid for their work) ripping
each other back and forth!

It used to be a busy, helpful, all around great
place.

No pointers to instructional web sites, no offers to
share techniques.

If you'd read the charter, it points to the FAQs
which ARE instructional web sites that offer to share
techniques. I have it set to post on the 1st and 16th
of every month. Do you think I should set it to post
more often? Every 10 days maybe? Or would still not
have read it even if posted twice a week?

And woe be unto he who dare
post a URL that might have some sort of commercial connection!

If done within the parameters of the Charter, such
URLs are quite welcome.

Again, Steve, thanks for your polite response. I'm not trying to bust
your balls here but some of your statements I just couldn't let stand

I don't know which Usenet you've been using, but
all of my statements come from study/observations made
over the last 16 years, using 20 or so commercial news
servers, and running news servers on my own computers.

And what's so wrong with changing things a little bit around here?
How old is that charter?

The original was '94 IIRC.

Has it ever been updated?

Yes. 31 Dec '00. Just in time for the start of
the new (actual) millenium.

Technology changes
at the speed of light - let's get with the times!

What are you suggesting?

Maybe we should
start posting some pattern files and maybe a finished project or 2.

If you mean links, great. Do it. If you mean
binaries in a non-binary group, NewGuy (and just about
any other news provider) specifically prohibits that.

Not everyone has or wants a web site.

Umm... ok. What's that got to do with anything?
There are plenty of binary groups to post stuff to.
(But again, these days, fewer and fewer people have
access to them.)

Here's the address for mine:

www.belami2.com

Why couldn't you have put your binary there, and
just linked to it?
BTW, if the subject is accurate, you posted a BMP.
That's one of the most bloated graphics formats there
is. Much better would be JPG, or for non-lossy
compression, PNG.

I use HostMonster.com*, an excellent service.

I started out with a people.delphi.com space back
when I was a paid forum manager for their dialup text
service run on Vaxen (that should give you an idea of
the time frame), then moved to 50megs.com, then addr.com,
and now am with dreamhost.com. I was very unhappy with
addr.com, and have been completely happy with dreamhost.

OK, enough babbling for 1 evening. Those pieces I cut last night
aren't going to foil themselves!

Hey, babbling is far preferable to what a lot of the
traffic here consists of.

*NOT a commercial endorsement! Although if you do happen to sign up,
tell 'em I sent you - I think I get a t-shirt or something.

Actually, you get a 50% commission on any referral.
You really should read your NSP's site.

--
☯☯

Old August 16th 08, 06:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Moonraker[_2_]

"Steve Ackman" wrote in message
rg...
As for this "group", my god! I started lurking here almost 2 years
ago when I 1st started working with stained glass. My 1st impression
was what a bunch of whiney 3rd-graders! Nothing but alledged
professionals (in that they claim to get paid for their work) ripping
each other back and forth!

It used to be a busy, helpful, all around great
place.

So, Steve???

Methinks if you had been as aggressive about "policing" the obvious
self-serving, self promotion of a certain Canadian asshole and his little
group of sock-puppet offspring, this group might actually have a life and
be of some value. As it is now, checking in on it once every two weeks is
plenty.

I'd also point out to the OP that the Superman logo is protected by
international copyrights, and it's a fine line he's walking on infringement
issues. Making a piece containing the logo for your own use is, while
questionable, probably not going to get him in any legal hot water. Making
even one for hire is a violation.