Drawplate question?

Old January 3rd 07, 01:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Kendall Davies

Default Drawplate question?

I am at last about to purchase a rolling mill and I'm very grateful for the
advice and information given by a several contributors last February.

I now have to buy a drawplate or two. Does anyone have experience of the
cheaper drawplates offered on eBay etc. I learned a long time ago best is
best as far as tools are concerned. The difference in cost is however huge,
a factor of 3 or 4 times. Are the cheaper ones worth a try or not?

Another question. Drawing round or square wire seems more or less straight
forward. What about oval or rectangular wire? Do you have to start with say
4mm square wire if you need say 4mm x 2mm finished size or might a 3mm x 3mm
wire widen as well as flatten when drawn through a plate with rectangular
holes?

Kendall
Old January 3rd 07, 06:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Abrasha

Kendall Davies wrote:
I am at last about to purchase a rolling mill and I'm very grateful for the
advice and information given by a several contributors last February.

I now have to buy a drawplate or two. Does anyone have experience of the
cheaper drawplates offered on eBay etc. I learned a long time ago best is
best as far as tools are concerned. The difference in cost is however huge,
a factor of 3 or 4 times. Are the cheaper ones worth a try or not?

This is what I tell my apprentices: "I do not buy cheap tools. I can't
afford them. They are too expensive!"

Buy tungsten carbide draw plates if you can. They will last you the
rest of your life and that of your heirs. (if they choose to be goldsmiths)

BTW, I don't see how you can complain about the price if they are only 3
to 4 times the price on eBay. The most expensive one on eBay I could
find was around $40. A good draw plate should cost you around $100.00
to $200.00, depending on the shape and size of the holes.
http://www.ottofrei.com/store/home.php?cat=977 (tungsten carbide)
http://www.ottofrei.com/store/home.php?cat=951 (steel)

--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

Old January 3rd 07, 07:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
John

On Wed, 03 Jan 2007 01:06:04 +0000, Kendall Davies wrote:

"Kendall Davies" wrote in message
newsan.2007.01.03.01.09.05.789790@kendalldavies. co.uk...
I am at last about to purchase a rolling mill and I'm very grateful for the
advice and information given by a several contributors last February.

I now have to buy a drawplate or two. Does anyone have experience of the
cheaper drawplates offered on eBay etc.

No, but I really wouldn't bother unless you want to just have a practice
first. But then I guess after playing with one you'll soon be wanting to buy
one from a reputable tool supplier.

I learned a long time ago best is
best as far as tools are concerned. The difference in cost is however
huge,
a factor of 3 or 4 times. Are the cheaper ones worth a try or not?

I would spend the money on a quality plate, that's for sure. BUT,
there are different quality plates out there and one of the best that I know
of are the carbide insert type. These are good in that the actual hole is
(or can be) highly polished which when drawing down will leave the wire
polished too. BUT, these are expensive and once you chip one or two of the
carbide inserts, you will cuss yourself. (In the same vein, you can also buy
singular carbide 'holes' usually supplied for professional draw-benches, but
the same problems remain).

I would go with a quality standard steel plate or plates. The one that
I use regularly is over 20 years old, and it's pulling the same dimensions
now as when I first bought it.

Another question. Drawing round or square wire seems more or less straight
forward. What about oval or rectangular wire? Do you have to start with
say
4mm square wire if you need say 4mm x 2mm finished size or might a 3mm x
3mm
wire widen as well as flatten when drawn through a plate with rectangular
holes?

You'll have to experiment to get what you want, but I can tell you now
that pulling 3mm round wire through a plate by hand is gonna bust your back.
It can be done, I can do it, and have done many times, but you really have
to psyche yourself up to do it. It gets easier at 2.5mm, and then easier as
you go down. If you're looking to draw those kinds of sizes down frequently,
then you'll need a draw-bench.

(PS, always use your rolling mill to get near the sizes that you want
first, and then draw down. Don't forget the annealing either).

John.

Kendall

Old January 3rd 07, 07:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Gary

On Wed, 03 Jan 2007 01:06:04 +0000, Kendall Davies wrote:

Kendall Davies wrote:
...snip

I now have to buy a drawplate or two. Does anyone have experience of the
cheaper drawplates offered on eBay etc. I learned a long time ago best is
best as far as tools are concerned. The difference in cost is however huge,
a factor of 3 or 4 times. Are the cheaper ones worth a try or not?

Another question. Drawing round or square wire seems more or less straight
forward. What about oval or rectangular wire? Do you have to start with say
4mm square wire if you need say 4mm x 2mm finished size or might a 3mm x 3mm
wire widen as well as flatten when drawn through a plate with rectangular
holes?

I've collected a number of draw-plates over the years, but find myself
generally using only the most expensive ones - the ones with TC inserts.
They give a lovely polished finish and are accurately marked with the
wire diameters. The cheap ones I purchased initially were a waste of
money - the holes are not properly graduated and gave a poor finish. I
have some good steel ones that produce reasonable results, but they get
used only when the TC 's don't have the required shape or size.

If you are serious about drawing 2x4mm then you'll also need a
draw-bench - you'll never pull it by hand. I've designed a draw-bench
that will cost you only about £15 ($25) that you can easily make at
home. Contact me if you'd like the plans.

good question Val Sewing 2 September 27th 06 04:37 PM
question about copyrights--an innocent question not meant to start a war Kristine Yarn 38 September 3rd 05 05:45 AM
Newbie question - drilling stones Polly Stewart Jewelry 0 January 11th 05 07:21 AM
Needle Hitching Question Jason Lowe Knots 2 November 11th 03 08:02 PM
Pricing Question Lisa Kisner Beads 6 September 30th 03 11:14 AM