Resizing blocks

Old June 12th 06, 07:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Resizing blocks

Help! I'd really like some assistance.... I'd like to make a quilt using a
"whirligig" blocks pattern (or, as I have seen it before, called delectable
mountains). The pattern in the Feb. 2003 issue of McCall's Quilting (page
53) calls for 6.5 inch squares sewed into half square triangles and cut into
1.5 inch strips. I seem to have seen this in a large size... I'd like to be
able to cut four stips that were 2.5 inches wide. I suppose there's some
mathematical formula for making those blocks bigger but it certainly is over
my head!

Can anyone tell me how much larger to make the two blocks? I think this is
just a nifty pattern using high contrast fabrics and my daughter is asking
for a quilt of 30's fabrics so this would be just the ticket. THANKS!

Old June 12th 06, 11:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

found the pattern online and read thru it.
they 'trim' the sqs back to 6".
how about 4 x 2.5=10 plus an extra half inch for trimming(10.5inch start),
just in case your hst isnt poifect. then trim as they did.
should work from my reading of the pattern.
http://www.mccallsquilting.com/golden/mg29_pattern/

delectable mountains is a fav of mine too, it has so many possible layouts
and variations for a simple block. tho that is often the case. simple lends
itself to more possible end results. varying the size, colour and which way
it lays gives you much to play with. if you've got EQ you can play with it
there both with size and fabrics/colours, even your own fabrics could be
scanned in, tho you can also add new colourways with the fabrics already in
EQ, which is often easier and just as useful. have fun.
jeanne
--
san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz
nzlstar on yahoo msg'r