Bead Rack

Old March 14th 04, 07:54 AM
starlia

Default Bead Rack

I asked my FIL to make me a bead rack when he got a chance. Since my MIL
was coming for a visit he hopped to and made this one for me. He didn't
paint it so I could chose any colors. I think I'm going to make it pretty
colorful. I need to go get some paints since all I have is oil and it would
take forever to dry.

The ones I saw at the local glass shop were really pretty, but I think he
did an amazing job. The white holders up front are actually dental molding
for a home. I only asked for six spots to hold mandrels, but I have a ton
now.

The album name is Bead Rack. Open it up and take a look.

http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sta...el%3as,1%3af,0

The next project is a large bead loom. I have an idea of what I want, but
if you guys have any suggestions on what would be an ideal loom please let
me know.

Old March 14th 04, 08:08 AM
starlia

I don't mind at all. My original loom is very small (cheap loom) and I was
able to do bracelets which I really like. I would love to do some large
necklaces, pillow tops, and whatever comes to mind.

Do you have any ideas? You can do tons on a loom.

I was thinking about a different design though. I've seen looms that can
sit on your lap flat and has a tray underneath. That looks cool. However,
I would like it to be able to sit up on a table like an easel while keeping
the tray flat. I have to see if FIL can make something like that.

The trays I've seen on the looms also have bead cups. I think the cups were
built into the wood and I think it would be useless. Maybe holes for
removable cups might work better but I'm open to ideas.

"vj" wrote in message
vj found this in rec.crafts.beads, from "starlia"
:

]The next project is a large bead loom. I have an idea of what I want,

but
]if you guys have any suggestions on what would be an ideal loom please

let
]me know.

do you mind me asking what kinds of things you want to be able to do
on the loom?????

-----------
@vicki [SnuggleWench]
(Books) http://www.booksnbytes.com
(Jewelry) http://www.vickijean.com
newest creations: http://www.vickijean.com/new.html
-----------
The measure of the menace of a man is not what
hardware he carries, but what ideas he believes.-- Jeff Jordan

Old March 14th 04, 08:27 AM
starlia

I hadn't thought about the rollers. I do know what you are talking about.
I wonder if it would work on the bead loom? Hum...great thought. Thanks!

"vj" wrote in message
vj found this in rec.crafts.beads, from "starlia"
:

]I don't mind at all. My original loom is very small (cheap loom) and I

was
]able to do bracelets which I really like. I would love to do some large
]necklaces, pillow tops, and whatever comes to mind.
]
]Do you have any ideas?

darlin', you are waaaaaaaaaay beyond what i know!
i thought maybe you were talking about a bracelet-size loom.

i have seen looms like you're talking about, but i haven't had the
nerve to think about one since i still haven't found a way to end off
the warp threads on a bracelet that satisfies me!

as a thought, tho, you might want to take a look at how quilting looms
are made - the ones with the rollers, so you can make things any
length? if you know what i'm talking about? of course, i may be
saying something you already know. i'll give it some thought -
sometimes things pop into my head all of a sudden after they've
percolated [and now i know where Johnny gets it from!]

-----------

Old March 14th 04, 10:08 AM
Shirley Shone

That is great. It remind me of the Abacus counting frame.
Shirley

In article , starlia
writes
I asked my FIL to make me a bead rack when he got a chance. Since my MIL
was coming for a visit he hopped to and made this one for me. He didn't
paint it so I could chose any colors. I think I'm going to make it pretty
colorful. I need to go get some paints since all I have is oil and it would
take forever to dry.

The ones I saw at the local glass shop were really pretty, but I think he
did an amazing job. The white holders up front are actually dental molding
for a home. I only asked for six spots to hold mandrels, but I have a ton
now.

The album name is Bead Rack. Open it up and take a look.

http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sta...=/&urlhint=act
n,del%3as,1%3af,0

--
Shirley Shone

Old March 14th 04, 01:20 PM
Harry

Here is a nice surprise for you and your husband. )
One bead loom coming soon!
http://rogue.northwest.com/~ahawley/loom.htm

Harry

Old March 14th 04, 01:20 PM
Debbie B

That's awesome

--
Debbie (New Mexico)
Life is too short
"starlia" wrote in message
[...]

---

Old March 14th 04, 03:41 PM
starlia

I saw that. I sent the link to my FIL.

Old March 14th 04, 05:37 PM
Dr. Sooz

I get Web site not responding, over and over.......

Without seeing it, I'd say don't make it very colorful. It will compete with
the beads. I'd paint it a color that would recede and be less noticeable, to
show off the beads themselves.
~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old March 15th 04, 12:29 AM
Barbara Otterson

wrote:

I asked my FIL to make me a bead rack when he got a chance. Since my MIL
was coming for a visit he hopped to and made this one for me. He didn't
paint it so I could chose any colors. I think I'm going to make it pretty
colorful. I need to go get some paints since all I have is oil and it would
take forever to dry.

Very nice! For those who have loops of wire they can't keep
organized I have a wonderful solution. I took a piece of 1" x 1"
wood and put cup holders (the screw in type) every 4 inches.
then I hung it from the ceiling (from both ends--parallel to the
ceiling). I wrote the type and gauge of wire above each hook.
First hook holds 26 - 22 rnd., next is 18 + 20 rnd, etc. The
half round, square, beaded. I hung it over my bench. Now
whenever I need a certain size and shape wire, I just reach
up. They never get tangled and I always know when I
need to re-order.
Barbara
Dream Master
www.dreamweaverstudio.com

If you want to make God laugh, tell him your future
plans.
Woody Allen
Old March 15th 04, 12:07 PM
Harry

A good friend sent me that link awhile back and I am also going
to try and make one soon... as soon as it gets warm enough to work
outside. I don't think my wife would approve of me bringing a saw in the
house and having fun. lol

Harry