helpppp

Old September 17th 03, 10:14 PM
rama

Default helpppp

Dear all,
Hi!!This might seem a strange post on recreational glass group, but here
goes....I am a graduate student in Bioengineering at Penn State and my
research involves the usage of a glass bead to shape micropipettes. However,
the glass bead which is used is made out of special glass which has a much
lower temperature than the micropipette. In
effect i am looking for a glass which can melt and flow at a temperature of
around 450 degrees centigrade.The micropipettes are made of borosilicate and
have a melting temperature of 700 degrees centigrade. I looked up a few
compositions and also melted a few which contained boric oxide,silica and
lead
oxide(PbO).All i got out of them was a white looking ceramic and NO glass.I
am
quite desperate now and would like someone to point to me to any groups
which are
working in the field which develop low temperature melting glass or even any
commercial resources.All i need is one low temperature melting glass bead,
due to which my research has come to quite a standstill.I am just writing
this
on a lark and if anyone could give me some pointers on groups or resources
which
would enable me to obtain the same.I really thank you all for your.
Regards
Rama

Old September 17th 03, 11:40 PM
nJb

rama wrote:

[...]

http://users.ticnet.com/mikefirth/techspec.htm

Might help.
--
Jack

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/xmissionbobo/
Old September 18th 03, 12:50 AM
Mike Firth

As a starting point, the glass used in making fiberglass is fairly low
melting point and the marbles used as a source were the starting point of
the modern art glass movement.
Glass with a lot of soda has a lower melting point than one with an art
glass mix.
If you want to address this to someone directly, Henry Halem, who is
sometimes here, can be found at www.glassnotes.com and Pete Vanderlaan, who
is still, I think, at and is certainly over at the
CraftWeb Glass Forum
http://talk.craftweb.com/ and both can probably point
you at some existing samples of lower temp melting glass.

--
Mike Firth
Hot Glass Bits Furnace Working Website

Old September 18th 03, 01:16 AM
Terry Harper

"Mike Firth" wrote in message
As a starting point, the glass used in making fiberglass is fairly low
melting point and the marbles used as a source were the starting point of
the modern art glass movement.

I don't think that any of the marbles used for fibre production have the
ability to melt and flow around 450C. JM's 475 glass was about the lowest
melting composition, but I think that the softening point was higher than
that. A sodium borate glass might be a better bet.
--
Terry Harper
http://www.terry.harper.btinternet.co.uk/