OT (sort of, maybe) Bleached a "use No Bleach" top

Old September 11th 06, 10:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
FSUStitcher

Default OT (sort of, maybe) Bleached a "use No Bleach" top

Oops--I washed a cotton/lycra top in Oxyclean and it now has pale
yellow stains all over it. Should I try and soak it in some more Oxy
or just put in the "weeding the flowers" pile? TIA for any
suggestions/advice.

FSUStitcher

Old September 11th 06, 02:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
F.James Cripwell

"FSUStitcher" ) writes:
Oops--I washed a cotton/lycra top in Oxyclean and it now has pale
yellow stains all over it. Should I try and soak it in some more Oxy
or just put in the "weeding the flowers" pile? TIA for any
suggestions/advice.

FSUStitcher

I am not sure if my experience has any bearing, but here goes. I had
two Tilley hats, which I used the way Tilley hats are supposed to be used;
for gardening, out jogging, at the cottage, on the lake, etc. Though
they were washed regularly, they got to be pretty disgusting. I gave them
both identical Oxyclean treatment. One came out not too bad; the other
has yellow stains all over it, and I cannot get them out.

Old September 11th 06, 03:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

Jim,
While reading the most recent Kathy Reichs novel, she mentioned
several things that sent me screaming to the nearest Southerner to get
answers to, but no one knew what a Tilley hat was. Wanna explain it for
me?
Tegan

Old September 11th 06, 04:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Donna McIntosh

"Tara D" wrote in message
On 11 Sep 2006 02:01:16 -0700, "FSUStitcher"
wrote:

Oops--I washed a cotton/lycra top in Oxyclean and it now has pale
yellow stains all over it. Should I try and soak it in some more Oxy
or just put in the "weeding the flowers" pile? TIA for any
suggestions/advice.

FSUStitcher

If you soak it longer, you may end up with a pale yellow top (or even
mottled yellow). If you've already decided it may be a weeding top,
what have you got to lose? Just stay away from traditional bleach,
this will certainly yellow lycra.

What else did you use in the wash with the oxyclean? That was
probably the cause.

Tara

to add to the discussion, I've found that some of my daughters' t-shirts
get those
yellow spots on them but it's from their acne cream...so now they've got
quite a
few at-home shirts and the reason why I make them take their school clothes
off as soon as they get home before they mess around with anything!

Donna in S. Indiana

Old September 11th 06, 06:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

Thank you, Tara. Someday I'll learn to just google stuff myself. I
don't know why I never think to do that. Frustration, I think. Seems
like everytime I run across a word in a foreign language that I can't
figure out, it's one of the few words Babelfish can't tell me what it
is! So that tends to just carry over to other things after a while.

Thanks for the link though, cause I think I see shopping in my
future....
Tegan

Tara D wrote:
Try http://www.tilley.com/

They are know for making very durable travel clothing. Light, quick
drying, long lasting.

Old September 11th 06, 06:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
F.James Cripwell

" ) writes:
Jim,
While reading the most recent Kathy Reichs novel, she mentioned
several things that sent me screaming to the nearest Southerner to get
answers to, but no one knew what a Tilley hat was. Wanna explain it for
me?
Tegan

I am so glad you asked the question. I have no financial interest
in Tilley Endurables, so I can "pass useful information" without
"advertising" a Canadian company. Tilley was a very, very keen sailor; he
was sailing in all different sorts of weather. He wanted a hat to meet
very severe conditions. It had to look good, no matter what. It would
get soaked, and when it dried it still had to look good. It had to float.
You must be able to easily tie it to your head, so no matter how strong
the wind, it did not blow off. You must be able to scrunch it up, and put
it in your pocket; then unscrunch it, put it on your head, and it still
looked presentable. etc. etc.
He could not find such a hat, so he got onto a sewing machine, and
experimented. He finally got his hat. However, when his sailing friends
saw it, they all wanted one, and he made several, before deciding to go
into business. Now he sells high end travel and sports clothing; not
cheap, but IMHO, value for money. I have two Tilley shirts. I can wash
them in the evening, hang them over a bath, and wear them without ironing
the next day. IIRC, he now sells underwear with the same characteristic.
The washing instructions are "Give 'em Hell. Wash with any combination
of temperature, detergent and bleach".
The hat, incidentally, has a very simple oval crown, with brim, made
of a heavy cotton duck. It has been imitated, but is still very
distinctive. For one military mission, all Canadian forces wore Tilley hats.
Old September 11th 06, 06:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

Thanks, Jim! I suspect, thanks to Tara, I see shopping in my future! I
love hats, even though they don't like me so well, and I think I've
already found two that are going to be eventual must haves!
Tegan