Beginning Beader (Lampwork)

Old March 25th 04, 04:36 AM
Maeven

Default Beginning Beader (Lampwork)

Hi All!

First let me say that all of you have been more than kind to me over the
last couple of years that I have started jewelry making. About 6-8
months ago I got really hot on wanting to try lampworking and I read up
on it. Then got cooled off by not having any money.

Well, I don't have much more money now but I have the drive. Woo-Hoo!
And since I don't do anything really fast right now I thought I'd start
acquiring some of the items I need while I'm getting the garage cleaned
out. I even have my hubbie's support! Double Woo-Hoo!

I think my garage is a good place. It has a window unit air conditioner
and concrete floors. We have gas to the house but I don't have a hookup
in the garage (yet).

What kind of table would you have? My hubbie made himself a workbench
and I think I could coax another out of him...suggestions?

I was thinking of getting a starter kit from Arrow Springs or something
similar...What do you guys suggest? And yes I mean the cheapie one with
maybe an addition... see: http://www.arrowsprings.com/html/kits.html

I know that I can not afford a kiln right now and thought about doing
the blanket thing with beads that I would give to my friends with all
the proper disclaimers....any other suggestions? And no I would NOT
dream of selling those beads and I'm only going to give them to people I
know.

Since I've never made a bead in my life, I know that it will take a
while to get good so that's why I'm putting off on the kiln. I love
using my hands to make stuff and have always had a thing for fire
(candles, kerosene lamps etc) so I feel that it's something I'll at
least do to please myself. Although I do hope to get good enough to
actually sell one day.

Let me have it, all the tidbits, advice, whatever you people who know
far more than I could hope for.

Thanks so much.
Wendy
remove the ferret to email me.
Old March 25th 04, 06:21 AM
starlia

Hi Wendy and welcome to the group. I started off much the same way you are
right now. I was totally self taught and even though it took a me a little
longer to learn some of the skills, I think it's kept my visions pure.

Desk - Anything you can use that's sturdy. Get a piece of steel to have
under your torch area. I think my piece is about 12x18" and cost a few
dollars at Home Depot. That way if hot glass falls, and it will, then it
won't burn your table. The most important thing for me was getting a decent
chair to torch. That made a huge difference in my comfort and the time I
could torch. I purchased a $20 rolling student chair and Walmart. It fits
my back well and since it doesn't have arms leaves me with a lot of room to
move about.

Kits - They are okay and you get your money's worth. However, you might do
better getting what you want and what you need buying things individually.
The bundled prices aren't any cheaper buying them as bundles.

Glasses - There is a lot of controversy over the glasses. If you are using
a Hothead or similar torch then you may not need glasses. I purchased some
anyhow and would not start until I got mine.

Books/Videos - A great book is Making Glass Beads by Cindy Jenkins. My
favorite book is Passing the Flame by Corina, but it's $75 and a bit much
for most starting out. However, I think it's one of the best out there.
There are other great books, but I grew by leaps and bounds with Corina's
book and wished I had it much sooner.

I also purchased a beginning bead making video when I first started. It
helped so much with the very basics. I don't have one in particular to
recommend, but if you are visual learner then I suggest you get one. Maybe
your local library may have one. I sold mine after watching it twice on
eBay.

Glass - Don't purchase any expensive glass yet. You will always need tons
of clear, white, and black. Moretti clear is scummy so try Vetrofond clear
or Lauscha clear. I use all types of glass, but some can't be mixed
together because of different COEs.

If you have any more questions, please ask.

Starlia

Old March 25th 04, 06:23 AM
Dr. Sooz

Wendy! Welcome back! (I don't do lampworking, so I can't help you.)
~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old March 25th 04, 06:37 AM
Dr. Sooz

Some links that will soon have their own category on the List:

Arrow Springs
http://www.arrowsprings.com/

Aura Lens
http://www.auralens.com/

The Bullseye Connection Resource Center
http://www.bullseyeconnection.com/

C&R Loo, Inc.
http://www.crloo.com/

Carlisle Machine Works, Inc.
http://www.carlislemachine.com/

Centre DeVerre LLC
http://www.cdvkiln.com/

Check Glass
http://checkglass.com/

Chicago Protective Apparel: Nomex fire-resistant clothing
http://www.chicagoprotective.com/

Davis, Heather: lampwork glass supplies
http://www.itsmysite.com/blissfulgardenbeads/

Dimensions in Art Glass
http://www.dimensionsinartglass.com/

Fire Design: Furnace, art glass
http://www.firedesigns.com/

Flame and Fusion: Artist-Accessible Hot Glass Studio
http://flameandfusion.net/

Frantz Art Glass
http://www.frantzartglass.com/

Glass Alchemy, Ltd.: boro supplies
http://www.glassalchemyarts.com/

GlassDaddy: Lauscha Glass distributor
http://www.glassdaddy.com/

Heritage Glass
http://www.heritageglass.com/

International Society of Glass Beadmakers (ISGB)
http://www.isgb.org/index.shtml

Knabel, J.
http://www.geocities.com/j_knabel/

Kroma Glass Studio: Raw Dichroic Glass Sales
http://www.kroma.com/rawglass.html

Lampworkers' Lounge
http://www.lampworkerslounge.com/

McKinney, Don: Glass Palette; tools and equipment
http://www.glasspalette.com/index.html

Northstar Glass
http://northstarglass.com/

Oxygen Generating Systems, Inc.
http://www.ogsi.com/

Phillips Safety Products
http://www.phillips-safety.com/asp/

Sundance Art Glass Center
http://www.artglass1.com/

Thompson Enamel Inc.: enamels for Effetre (Moretti) glass
http://www.thompsonenamel.com/produc...ls/effetre.htm

Wale Apparatus Company: glassworking equipment & supplies
http://www.waleapparatus.com/

Warm Glass: a guide to fusing, slumping, and kiln-forming techniques
http://www.warmglass.com/

WetCanvas! Glass Art Forum
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/foru...828346f7c91e23
33b25ec78&forumid=89
~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old March 25th 04, 10:02 AM
Kandice Seeber

Suggestions:

Books -
More Than You Ever Wanted to Know About Glass Beadmaking by Jim Kervin
(the best book for safety and equipement issue - I think he's up to the 5th
edition)

Passing the Flame - Corina Tettinger
Worth every penny, even for beginners, if you love lampworking and plan to
do it for awhile.

Read the glass 101 and other sticky threads on the Wet Canvas Glass Art
Forum
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/foru... 8&forumid=89

The whole ISGB forum
http://www.isgb.org/forum/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php

No matter what you do, **do not** skimp on safety. Store all propane
outside and make sure you have excellent ventilation (500 CFM or more, with
makeup air, for a minor torch), especially if you are using glass powders or
metals of any kind (get a respirator for these). Yes, get safety glasses. I
don't care what hot head users say - staring at a flame for hours
unprotected is bad for your eyes no matter what kind of torch you use. And
there's always going to be flying glass, and you need safety glasses to keep
that glass from hitting you in the eyes. Make sure the glasses have side
guards.

Make sure you have a fire extinguisher, a carbon monoxide detecter, and a
first aid kit with burn ointment nearby.

Lampworking is not an easy artform to get into, but it's really worth the
hassle if you love it.
Have fun!

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Old March 25th 04, 07:24 PM
Kalera Stratton

Garage sounds like a good place... make sure you have good ventilation.
An air conditioner won't move enough air, but a box fan, sucking air
*out*, will! Work near your fan so the fumes are pulled directly
outside. For a worksurface, I use an old conference table ($10 used, $35
new) and a piece of fireproof hardbacker from Home Depot ($8), which
covers the entire table. A rolling chair is a very good idea; they're
comfortable and allow you to get out of the way of hot glass fast if you
need to.

Starter kits are fine but they never have everything you need, and often
have things you don't need. Check out places that offer a 10% discount
on kits, but allow you to modify the kit to your liking. Frantz does,
and maybe Auralens and Arrow Springs will too. You absolutely NEED:

Torch
Eye Protection (the Hot Head doesn't require spectrum filtration to
protect your vision, but you need to wear something- even clear
eyeglasses- to protect your eyes from flying shards.)
Mandrels (I like the 12" ones)
Bead release
Glass (buying 1/4 lbs of the cheaper colors is more economical than
getting a starter bundle)
Fiber blanket - or - a container filled with vermiculite, which works
and is cheap.
You can get a "torch stand" for 1# MAPP bottles at a hardware store for
$1.29.
For a rod rest, I use a 12x12" stone floor tile ($.98 at Home Depot) and
let the hot ends hang over the edge.
I like my graphite paddle, but a tile and a thrift-store butter knife
are awesome cheap tools. No need to spend a bunch of money.
Lastly, the one thing I would go ahead and spend money on right away is
a bulk fuel hose... those 1# canisters get horribly expensive very fast.
You don't need any fancy equipment, you can clamp the torch to your able
using an L-bracket, a hose clamp, and a C-clamp from your hardware
store. You might try out the bulk propane in your area instead of bulk
Propylene... propane is cheaper and more redily available, and many
people have excellent luck using it with their Hot Heads.

Good luck, and have fun!

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

Old March 25th 04, 07:25 PM
Kalera Stratton

I absolutely second the book recommendations... and if you can only
afford ONE book, get the Kervin one.

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

Old March 25th 04, 07:57 PM
Harry

More Than You Ever Wanted to Know About Glass Beadmaking
Very good price he http://www.delphiglass.com/index.cfm...&page=itemView

Harry

Old March 25th 04, 10:50 PM
Kandice Seeber

I totally agree! You can teach yourself the design elements and read about
design on the net, but having that Kervin book around as a safety and
equipement reference is ideal.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs