Log Cabin - first block ever

Old October 25th 05, 11:36 PM
Sally Swindells

Default Log Cabin - first block ever

I must have been really lucky. My LQS ran a 6 week evening course for
beginners, and due to cancellations because of illness there were only
two of us. We made a little quilt which had simple strip piecing and a
bit of applique in it, so we learnt binding etc as well. Did rotary
cutting, learnt about big pins and wooden irons, and got the
confidence to do the big sampler quilt. One day I will finish it.

My little sampler is in my webshots, under quilts and called Henny
Penny..

--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 07:41:08 +0000 (UTC), "Morag in Oxford"
wrote:

Maybe it's just me, but my brain has problems looking at pictures in books
and following the instructions that way - I find it 100% easier when someone
demonstrates and I can copy. there seems to be a real gap in the market
here in the UK for basic quilting/patchwork classes as all the classes run
by the shops are quite advanced and assume a basic standard of knowledge
that lots of people don't have.
Morag

"Tina" wrote in message
oups.com...
Ok everybody, I could have sworn somewhere in this thread there was a
post regarding a website with instructions for a log cabin...... now I
can't find it.

AND, now, after my first six days of IQF - after admiring all the
beautiful and gorgeous quilts that will take me years of quilting to
ever be able to even dream of making something of like type or quality
- I think I at least know some goals I want to set for my little
quilting self.

1. Log Cabin. I have always been drawn to these blocks - but after
seeing all the different log cabin variations in quilts at the show, I
definitely want to learn how to do this. It looks so amazing in
different variations and different color combinations. So ok ladies -
recommend away, please?! Where can I find instructions and who's going
to walk me through them ???? Pat????? When I am allowed to actually
shop in the Market, (not before Wednesday) I am going to see if I can
find a pattern or a kit to get me started.

2. ATTENTION PAT (again, LOL) - I have, HAVE to master applique. I
just have to. After seeing so many beautiful quilts at the show that
incorporate applique in every way shape and form - I have got to learn
the many different ways to do this and use this in quilting. Again,
when I can get into Market to shop (not just browse for 5 minutes) I'm
going to look for books, kits, instructions, etc.

3. Journal Quilts - I have got to do this, just got to!

But also, I found the booth for a quilt shop that isn't too, too far
from me that has some better classes for me (beginner). So when show
and holidays are over, I'm going to see if I can't talk DH into letting
me sign up for some classes in techniques and especially applique.

Considering our financial situation, I am staring down the big, gaping
jaws of employment next year (boo hoooo hooo) and trying to figure out
some way to NOT have to go back to Corporate America full time. I made
the suggestion to DH yesterday, when I got home from working the show,
that if he would let me take classes, I could learn machine quilting,
he could buy me a big machine to put over in the new Office House -
then I could contract quilting, from home (not to steal your wonderful
news and idea Jan! Congrats by the way! I am so green with envy) but
there aren't that many quilters around here and I bet I could make some
money that way.........

I've just got to figure out a way to be able to make money and still
sew like a mad woman !!!!!!
I am so, SOOOO terribly addicted now!

Tina

Old October 26th 05, 12:15 AM
Sally Swindells

I like browsing the site
http://www.amishcountrylanes.com/IEv...l?hs540&google
I particularly fell for
Gold Red and Sage Autumn Splendor Log Cabin Throw / Wall Hanging in
the small new handmade section.

I could look at these quilts for hours!

--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 21:25:16 GMT, the black rose
wrote:

Tricia wrote:
It was Cheryl's web site that had the directions for the foundation log
cabin quilt. I believe the site is in her signature on a regular
basis.

Check books out at your local library before deciding which to buy,
that's what I do. Anyone I've checked at has carried Carol Doak books
and I've recently been able to check out a few Alex Anderson books as
well.

Tricia

Also, try having a look at books on "half log cabin" blocks (can do a
search on that phrase on Amazon). They can be breathtaking.

Old October 26th 05, 12:44 AM
Tina

YEP, definitely had to bookmark that one! Thanks for sharing Sally.

Hugs,
Tina

Old October 26th 05, 12:44 AM
Sally Swindells

Default Log Cabin - first block ever - hand stitching

Jinny Beyer has a fabulous book 'Quiltmaking by Hand'. She says she is
quicker by hand - because she can take her sewing with her wherever
she goes. She does a backstitch everytime she pulls the thread
through, but says she can make up to 15 tiny stiches at once!

Her quilts are to die for, and the book is certainly teaching me a
lot.
--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 15:59:32 -0400, Bonnie Patterson
wrote:

My guild makes a raffle quilt every year and it is completely hand
stitched, patches and quilting. We all do some work on it. The rules
are that we must take one back stitch for every six stitches, and we
must make our stitches as small as we can.

Bonnie, in Middletown, VA

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 11:42:27 -0400, Phyllis Nilsson
wrote:

The hand stitching for quilts absolutely shocked me. Like you, I've
made clothing by hand (my first ones were maternity tops) and although I
didn't use double thread, I did use the back stitch. I used the same
back stitch when hand piecing quilts. When I read that the stitch one
is supposed to use for hand piecing is a running stitch (to me just a
small basting stitch) I was totally surprised. I couldn't imagine how
any quilt could take any use at all without falling apart. I tried the
running stitch on one quilt, but went back to the back stitch. It does
take more time though than the running stitch.

Tricia wrote:
Hand sewing is alright -- I have clothing items that I did completely
by hand before I had my sewing machine -- but that type of sewing is
different stitch wise than what I have heard for piecing quilt blocks
-- I hand stitch clothes almost completely with a backstitch and
doubled thread. I'll check it out though on your web site.

Chain Piecing for log cabins? Share please!

Tricia

Old October 26th 05, 01:58 AM
Cheryl in Oz

Yeah, great book. Recommended for all hand sewers and potential hand
sewers.

--

Cheryl
cawaites@netconnectDOTcomDOTau

Old October 26th 05, 02:07 AM
Tina

To die for is an understatement! There are a few JB quilts at the show
- AWESOME!

Tina

Old October 26th 05, 03:29 AM
Marcella Peek

In article ,
Sally Swindells wrote:

Jinny Beyer has a fabulous book 'Quiltmaking by Hand'. She says she is
quicker by hand - because she can take her sewing with her wherever
she goes. She does a backstitch everytime she pulls the thread
through, but says she can make up to 15 tiny stiches at once!

Her quilts are to die for, and the book is certainly teaching me a
lot.
--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~

Ok, now I use her book to teach hand piecing, but I do have one word of
caution about some bad advice.

She talks about piecing while she is driving and sitting in traffic.

Do not do this! Keep yourself all in one piece and out of harms way
please, and only sew in the car when you are the passenger.

off my soapbox
marcella
Old October 26th 05, 04:31 AM
Taria

I suppose it depends on traffic. Every time there is a fire in
our pass (even small car fires) the road gets shut. Traffic stops
and sits. If you are really sitting and have the car off maybe it is
ok. If she really likes to piece that much she needs to take
the bus!
It is tough enough trying to dodge all the folks on their cell phones
these days.
Our local library even has her book and they are pretty skimpy on
quilting stuff.
Taria

Old October 26th 05, 10:03 AM
Sally Swindells

Ooo. I bet the colours are wonderful. They even glow in the books.
--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~

Old October 26th 05, 10:14 AM
Sally Swindells

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 19:29:46 -0700, in rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
you wrote:

In article ,
Sally Swindells wrote:

Jinny Beyer has a fabulous book 'Quiltmaking by Hand'. She says she is
quicker by hand - because she can take her sewing with her wherever
she goes. She does a backstitch everytime she pulls the thread
through, but says she can make up to 15 tiny stiches at once!

Her quilts are to die for, and the book is certainly teaching me a
lot.
--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~

Ok, now I use her book to teach hand piecing, but I do have one word of
caution about some bad advice.

She talks about piecing while she is driving and sitting in traffic.

Do not do this! Keep yourself all in one piece and out of harms way
please, and only sew in the car when you are the passenger.

off my soapbox
marcella

Yes, I had noticed that! - Perhaps she has a driver, though I couldn't
sew in a car as a passenger, even on a beautifully even road. I would
spike my finger. It wouldn't enter my head to do it while driving,
even in a traffic jam.

We get fined here for using a mobile (sorry - cell phone) in the car
while driving unless its a handsfree one. You have to pull off the
road and turn off the engine. Not a lot of people seem to know that
judging from the number of people driving in a swervy line with phone
clamped to their ear - or worse still, dialling!!
--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~

EQ5 Users Debbi Quilting 5 October 5th 05 04:46 AM
Repost - Taking signups for the 3rd round of the Harry Potter block swap! Johanna Gibson Quilting 0 June 14th 05 12:34 AM
Now taking sign-ups for the third Harry Potter block swap ! Johanna Gibson Quilting 0 June 8th 05 05:46 PM
printer Log Cabin 6" block diagram with numbers Neeej Quilting 4 August 27th 03 08:24 PM
Log Cabin Block Measurement Helen in WI Quilting 11 August 14th 03 04:05 PM