Log Cabin - first block ever

Old October 24th 05, 03:15 AM
Christina in Ok

Default Log Cabin - first block ever

nothing is more exciting then your very first block..
congregations !!!
cannot wait too see your block and the finished quilt!!

"Morag in Oxford" wrote in message
Hi ladies,

I'm a completely self taught quilter, and still a very novice one at that.
I always liked the look of a log cabin quilt so today made my very first
block out of scraps. Was very pleased with the ease of making it - it
looks so much more complex than it actually is!

Went through my stash and sorted out lots of odds and ends of blue fabric,
in preparation for making a blue log cabin quilt for my bed. So excited!!

morag

Old October 24th 05, 03:31 AM
Sandy Foster

In article ,
"Morag in Oxford" wrote:

Hi ladies,

I'm a completely self taught quilter, and still a very novice one at that.
I always liked the look of a log cabin quilt so today made my very first
block out of scraps. Was very pleased with the ease of making it - it looks
so much more complex than it actually is!

Went through my stash and sorted out lots of odds and ends of blue fabric,
in preparation for making a blue log cabin quilt for my bed. So excited!!

morag

Woohoo! Good for you, Morag! Can't wait to see your blue log cabin! Have
I mentioned that I love blue?
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education
Old October 24th 05, 08:31 AM
Patti

I've just been through my saved sites and I found the site I mentioned
to you in my earlier post.
www.georgesiciliano.com

Hope you enjoy looking round it. They do look 'fantastical', and forget
the sizes g, but they are 'just' log cabins.
..
In message , Morag in
Oxford writes
Hi ladies,

I'm a completely self taught quilter, and still a very novice one at that.
I always liked the look of a log cabin quilt so today made my very first
block out of scraps. Was very pleased with the ease of making it - it looks
so much more complex than it actually is!

Went through my stash and sorted out lots of odds and ends of blue fabric,
in preparation for making a blue log cabin quilt for my bed. So excited!!

morag

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old October 24th 05, 10:26 AM
Sally Swindells

What a fabulous site. I have bookmarked it for a concentrated read
(which isn't at 10.30 on a Monday morning!) Didn't realise at first
how small they are.

Thanks for telling us.
--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~

.

Old October 24th 05, 01:41 PM
Denise in NH

George Siciliano came to my guild last year and his work is incredible.
Some of his pieces are miniatures with hundreds and hundreds of tiny
pieces of material, but they're all log cabins. He put on a great show.

Denise

Old October 24th 05, 02:29 PM
Patti

Now, now, Roberta! Easy does it g
..
In message , Roberta Zollner
writes

Old October 25th 05, 12:06 AM
quilter

Hi,
I'm sure others will recommend away too, but I recently purchased "Log
Cabin Fever: Innovative Designs for Traditional Quilts" by Evelyn
Sloppy after getting it out of the library and deciding that I wanted
to make at least 3 quilts in the book and HAD to own it. Usually when
I want to buy a book, I check to see if there's one quilt in it I'd
actually want to make. This one satisfied the test threefold. Also, I
loved the instructions in the intro chapters (which I usually just
skip) for basics.
NAYY

Lynn

Tina wrote:
Ok everybody, I could have sworn somewhere in this thread there was a
post regarding a website with instructions for a log cabin...... now I
can't find it.

AND, now, after my first six days of IQF - after admiring all the
beautiful and gorgeous quilts that will take me years of quilting to
ever be able to even dream of making something of like type or quality
- I think I at least know some goals I want to set for my little
quilting self.

1. Log Cabin. I have always been drawn to these blocks - but after
seeing all the different log cabin variations in quilts at the show, I
definitely want to learn how to do this. It looks so amazing in
different variations and different color combinations. So ok ladies -
recommend away, please?! Where can I find instructions and who's going
to walk me through them ???? Pat????? When I am allowed to actually
shop in the Market, (not before Wednesday) I am going to see if I can
find a pattern or a kit to get me started.

2. ATTENTION PAT (again, LOL) - I have, HAVE to master applique. I
just have to. After seeing so many beautiful quilts at the show that
incorporate applique in every way shape and form - I have got to learn
the many different ways to do this and use this in quilting. Again,
when I can get into Market to shop (not just browse for 5 minutes) I'm
going to look for books, kits, instructions, etc.

3. Journal Quilts - I have got to do this, just got to!

But also, I found the booth for a quilt shop that isn't too, too far
from me that has some better classes for me (beginner). So when show
and holidays are over, I'm going to see if I can't talk DH into letting
me sign up for some classes in techniques and especially applique.

Considering our financial situation, I am staring down the big, gaping
jaws of employment next year (boo hoooo hooo) and trying to figure out
some way to NOT have to go back to Corporate America full time. I made
the suggestion to DH yesterday, when I got home from working the show,
that if he would let me take classes, I could learn machine quilting,
he could buy me a big machine to put over in the new Office House -
then I could contract quilting, from home (not to steal your wonderful
news and idea Jan! Congrats by the way! I am so green with envy) but
there aren't that many quilters around here and I bet I could make some
money that way.........

I've just got to figure out a way to be able to make money and still
sew like a mad woman !!!!!!
I am so, SOOOO terribly addicted now!

Tina

Old October 25th 05, 05:13 AM
Tricia

It was Cheryl's web site that had the directions for the foundation log
cabin quilt. I believe the site is in her signature on a regular
basis.

Check books out at your local library before deciding which to buy,
that's what I do. Anyone I've checked at has carried Carol Doak books
and I've recently been able to check out a few Alex Anderson books as
well.

Tricia

Old October 25th 05, 07:11 AM
Cheryl in Oz

Another good book is "The Classic American Quilt Collection: Log Cabin" by
Rodale - part of their series. All the Rodale books are very good for
basics and learning/teaching.

Also - I love Mary Ellen Hopkins' book "A Log Cabin Notebook"

Worth checking out -
Beyond Log Cabin by Kerry Gadd (Very modern abstract designs)
Log Cabin Fever by Evelyn Sloppy (Combines LC with other blocks)
The Ultimate Half Log Cabin Book by Sharon Craig (Shows the versatility of
the HLC block)

---------

Somewhere in this thread someone mentioned my webshot pages for foundation
log cabin directions. The directions are for doing "Manx Quilting" which is
the early form of Log Cabin done by hand. The directions are still posted
if anyone wants them. Print away from there as the notes are mine (written
by me for a class I teach) with extracts by a friend who has given
permission for use of.

We are both keen to see this very old form of quilting preserved - and
no-one on the Isle of Mann does it anymore. My friend was born there but
had never even heard of Manx quilting until she went back there for a visit
after living away (in Englend and Australia) for 30 years. I am proud to
say there are probably now more Manx quilters in Melbourne and Ararat
(Victoria Australia where I live) than in Britain.
--

Cheryl
cawaites@netconnectDOTcomDOTau

ups.com...

EQ5 Users Debbi Quilting 5 October 5th 05 04:46 AM
Repost - Taking signups for the 3rd round of the Harry Potter block swap! Johanna Gibson Quilting 0 June 14th 05 12:34 AM
Now taking sign-ups for the third Harry Potter block swap ! Johanna Gibson Quilting 0 June 8th 05 05:46 PM
printer Log Cabin 6" block diagram with numbers Neeej Quilting 4 August 27th 03 08:24 PM
Log Cabin Block Measurement Helen in WI Quilting 11 August 14th 03 04:05 PM