oinion soup

Old November 2nd 03, 02:54 PM
Slgraber

Default oinion soup

wasn't it last year about this time that monica mentioned pottery oinion soup
bowls & got me at least in the mood to make a batch? ~of soup... seems
like just a little bit ago...

fast year!

steve

steve graber
Old November 2nd 03, 06:57 PM
Monika Schleidt

Slgraber wrote:

wasn't it last year about this time that monica mentioned pottery oinion soup
bowls & got me at least in the mood to make a batch? ~of soup... seems
like just a little bit ago...

fast year

and... did you make onion soup? It's this time of year again, especially after
forest fires, it's time to make onion soup. I haven't made any soup bowls either,
but... i have to make a lot of things, i was rather lazy this year, having no
real markets and no pressure. Winter is a good time for me to make pottery,
summer is so distracting, gardens, hiking, there is so much else to do, but now,
i will heat my workshop and get withit.

Monika

--
Monika Schleidt

www.schleidt.org/mskeramik

Old November 3rd 03, 02:15 PM
wayneinkeywest

"Monika Schleidt" wrote in message

Slgraber wrote:

[...]

A new friend I met at a workshop recently gave me a big bunch of garlic
from his garden. Made me think of soups, and bagels, and then pottery.

I'm working on a bunch of soup bowls now, into which the French Garlic/Onion
soup will go, from a soup tureen I have yet to design (:) Who says we
aren't
ruled by our stomachs ? g

Wish it got a bit colder here in the fall. Seasons change even here, but
the effects here are very subtle,
not like up north, where you get "hit over the head" with it visually.
(which I miss)
Thank you both for those thoughts, Monica and Steve... it has been a fast
year.
The older we get the faster they go.
Wayne Seidl (in Key West)

Old November 3rd 03, 05:56 PM
Deborah M Riel

In article ,
wayneinkeywest wrote:
A new friend I met at a workshop recently gave me a big bunch of garlic
from his garden. Made me think of soups, and bagels, and then pottery.

I'm working on a bunch of soup bowls now, into which the French Garlic/Onion
soup will go, from a soup tureen I have yet to design (:) Who says we
aren't
ruled by our stomachs ? g

Wish it got a bit colder here in the fall. Seasons change even here, but
the effects here are very subtle,
not like up north, where you get "hit over the head" with it visually.
(which I miss)
Thank you both for those thoughts, Monica and Steve... it has been a fast
year.
The older we get the faster they go.
Wayne Seidl (in Key West)

I've been working on flameware this fall, and our last class using
this claybody is tonight. We had to cook something in one of our
pots to bring for a pot-luck tonight. I don't have anything ready and
out of the kiln yet except for one skillet, so skillet food it is.

The flameware is a strange clay to work with. It's very plastic in
the glaze firing, and unfortunately the nice skillet handle I had in
bisque form flopped down in final form, making the skillet unuseable
unless the handle is hanging off the edge of the stove. I used it for
the pot-luck cooking assignment, but I won't be able to live with it
so it will be trashed after tonight.

Cooking with the pot was a nice experience. I cooked using a med/low
heat on my electric stove, and the skillet seemed to conduct the heat
very well. The handle was hollow, and never even became warm to the
touch, which was a good feature. The liner glaze cleaned up really
well afterwards.

I'm looking forward to seeing how some of my other pots came out. I
made 3 crockpot sized covered soup pots, a tagine and some ramekins.
One of my main complaints is that glaze choices are very limited. I
haven't been entirely pleased with the results.

I think next I'll work on tea kettles in flameware. It's been a
different experience--depending on the final results, I'll try to get
some pictures on my website soon.

Deb R.
Old November 3rd 03, 09:52 PM
wayneinkeywest

"Deborah M Riel" wrote in message
[...]

Deb:
Did you folk make the flameware clay, or did it come from a supplier? I get
more and more interested in flameware the more I see and hear about it. I
think I might like to do some experimenting.
Wayne Seidl

Old November 4th 03, 02:17 PM
Deborah M Riel

In article ,
wayneinkeywest wrote:

Deb:
Did you folk make the flameware clay, or did it come from a supplier? I get
more and more interested in flameware the more I see and hear about it. I
think I might like to do some experimenting.
Wayne Seidl

The school where I take lessons (Worcester Center for Crafts)
purchased a large quantity of 2 different flameware claybodies. One
was called AP Green, and was very groggy. It kind of hurt to work
with it--it had a tendency to abrade the skin right off my hand, and I
wore out a chamois. The other was Hawthorne, and it was much smoother
to work with. I don't know the supplier's name, though. It was a
cone 10 claybody, and fires to a nice terracotta-looking color without
glaze in reduction.

The glaze choices are limited and the ones suitable for flameware tend
to be a bit runny. I had to do some grinding on my pots after they
were fired to get rid of a few drips at the bottom edge, even though I
had left a good half inch of unglazed surface at the bottom of the
pot.

Giving the unglazed surface a light sanding with a fine grit after
firing is a good way to create a nice finish. My teacher said she
uses a valve grinding compound on hers, but I just used sandpaper.

Question--does anyone know what I can do to stain the small surfaces
where I had to grind glaze drips off with the Dremel? Those surfaces
are gray, and the rest is a warm terracotta color. Would a very dilute
acrylic paint work as a permanent stain? Or should I just stop being
so fussy?

Deb R.
Old November 4th 03, 07:39 PM
wayneinkeywest

Thanks for the info. I'll check with our supplier and see what is
available.
Best Regards,
Wayne Seidl

Old November 4th 03, 11:17 PM
wayneinkeywest

Question--does anyone know what I can do to stain the small surfaces
where I had to grind glaze drips off with the Dremel? Those surfaces
are gray, and the rest is a warm terracotta color. Would a very dilute
acrylic paint work as a permanent stain? Or should I just stop being
so fussy?

Deb R.

Deb:
Are the drip edges exposed? Can one see them when the piece is sitting on a
shelf or table?
No? Then ignore them. Everyone else will. Half the pots I have from
different artists have ground surfaces from glaze drips. Just make me even
MORE aware that the piece is handmade...and therefore special.
Best Regards,
Wayne