New Floss and Fiber Storage System

Old July 28th 07, 02:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Chip and Allie Orange

Default New Floss and Fiber Storage System

Hi, all,

I am always looking for new and better ways to store fibers (I use
file-a-floss) and came across this new system tonight, "Annie's Keepers". I
am not sure it would be right for me, because I don't like to cut the floss
all to length, but it might work out well for those of you who use LoRan or
who usually cut the skein into pre-measured lengths.

http://www.annieskeepers.com/

I popped out to Nordic Needle to order a catalog and searched and they are
carrying this item too, though the pictures are helpful on the Annie site to
explain how her system works:

http://www.nordicneedle.com/Merchant...Category_Code=

The only reason I even consider moving away from the file-a-floss since
baggies really work for me, is the worry about long-term storage in the
plastic bags. It is nice to have them protected from the critters we have
in Florida and the file-a-floss tapestry boxes protect from the light.

Allie Orange

Old July 28th 07, 12:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Queen City x-stitcher

Chip and Allie Orange wrote:
Hi, all,

I am always looking for new and better ways to store fibers (I use
file-a-floss) and came across this new system tonight, "Annie's Keepers". I
am not sure it would be right for me, because I don't like to cut the floss
all to length, but it might work out well for those of you who use LoRan or
who usually cut the skein into pre-measured lengths.

http://www.annieskeepers.com/

The only reason I even consider moving away from the file-a-floss since
baggies really work for me, is the worry about long-term storage in the
plastic bags. It is nice to have them protected from the critters we have
in Florida and the file-a-floss tapestry boxes protect from the light.

Allie Orange

Allie, I have 4 of Annie's Keeper storage systems. Some fibers are cut
to length, but my #5 pearl cotton is just untwist the skein and looped
through. ( I have one of every co;or and will get back to my Temari
balls as soon as the wedding season is over) I love the fact that I can
pull all my empty keys and I have an instant shopping list. The fibers
are stored into 3 Rubbermaid archive file boxes. I used the floss bag
system foe years and I wouldn't go back.

Bobbie V.

remove the knot with a net to reply
Old July 28th 07, 04:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
thistletoes

On Jul 28, 4:05 am, Queen City x-stitcher
wrote:
Chip and Allie Orange wrote:

[...]

I have read quite a few posts about storage systems for floss. It
seems that every few years a new system hits the market. I still use
the 2" bobbins (oldies) and the new smaller ones, strung on a ring
numerically for each project. I usually work only 2 or 3 projects at
a time so that does not put much of my supply out of general use.
When I am done, I file the bobbins in cigar boxes divided with thin
strips of card, divisions being 2" wide.

I am curious about the floss bag system. Just how does that work?
Deb

Old July 28th 07, 04:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
thistletoes

wrote:
Chip and Allie Orange wrote:

[...]

Sorry - I did not see Allie's message when I was typing mine out to
post. I questioned how the floss bag system works. You can ignore
me.
Deb

Old July 28th 07, 04:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
thistletoes

wrote:
Chip and Allie Orange wrote:

[...]

Ok, I take that back. Don't ignore me. I just can't wrap my brain
around the floss baggie storage system. Are the flosses on bobbins?
Do you have a certain color range in a bag. On the web all I see are
cute little floral print boxes with the tips of bobbins showing. It
looks like what I do, but I know it isn't.
Deb

Old July 29th 07, 02:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 7/27/07 9:27 PM, "Chip and Allie Orange" wrote:

Hi, all,

I am always looking for new and better ways to store fibers (I use
file-a-floss) and came across this new system tonight, "Annie's Keepers". I
am not sure it would be right for me, because I don't like to cut the floss
all to length, but it might work out well for those of you who use LoRan or
who usually cut the skein into pre-measured lengths.

http://www.annieskeepers.com/

It's a good way. There are several "thread drop" systems out there. The
tags, with the double holes, are called that. Access commodities has a
bunch that are cut in decorative shapes - like flip flops, or bunnies, etc.
They come in a pack of about 30 (maybe more), tags, with a ring. The tags
are heavy duty, write on them, write again. Cute. I'd consider using those
for a project, then putting the whole ring into a bag, as opposed to using
the floss-bags (my system).

This is a link to someone with the flip flop ones. The bunny shapes are
really cute.
http://tinyurl.com/2vjrcb

I popped out to Nordic Needle to order a catalog and searched and they are
carrying this item too, though the pictures are helpful on the Annie site to
explain how her system works:

http://www.nordicneedle.com/Merchant...tore_Code=NN&P
roduct_Code=6391&Product_Count=&Category_Code=

The only reason I even consider moving away from the file-a-floss since
baggies really work for me, is the worry about long-term storage in the
plastic bags. It is nice to have them protected from the critters we have
in Florida and the file-a-floss tapestry boxes protect from the light.

Good reasons. In storage, I don't keep the plastic bags completely sealed.

Ellice

Old July 29th 07, 02:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 7/29/07 9:05 AM, in article , "ellice"
wrote:

[...]

Those do look handy for crewel projects

http://www.nordicneedle.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=NN&
roduct_Code=6391&Product_Count=&Category_Code=

The only reason I even consider moving away from the file-a-floss since
baggies really work for me, is the worry about long-term storage in the
plastic bags. It is nice to have them protected from the critters we have
in Florida and the file-a-floss tapestry boxes protect from the light.

Good reasons. In storage, I don't keep the plastic bags completely sealed.

I try not to either.

Cheryl

Old July 29th 07, 02:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Susan[_2_]

wrote:
Chip and Allie Orange wrote:

[...]

I kppw my floss in sandwich-size baggies numerically like they are on
the color card. The first bag has the first color range -- say colors
1-101. I can find them quickly because they're in numerical order --
and if I want to look at specific color(s), I've got the Color Card as
my index.

susan

Old July 29th 07, 02:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Susan[_2_]

http://www.nordicneedle.com/Merchant...en=PROD&Store_...
roduct_Code=6391&Product_Count=&Category_Code=

The only reason I even consider moving away from the file-a-floss since
baggies really work for me, is the worry about long-term storage in the
plastic bags. It is nice to have them protected from the critters we have
in Florida and the file-a-floss tapestry boxes protect from the light.

Good reasons. In storage, I don't keep the plastic bags completely sealed.

Ellice

I keep my baggies in a closed box -- no light unless I"m looking for
something.

susan

Old July 29th 07, 03:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Lucille[_3_]

ups.com...

wrote:
Chip and Allie Orange wrote:

[...]

That's basically how I keep my floss. DMC goes into one set of bags and
odds and ends (leftovers from kits) into another. The bags go into
individual boxes, some rubbermaid and some cardboard, and then they go into
a closed cabinet. Specialty threads have a little plastic cabinet with
long, narrow drawers. That way threads rarely see the light unless they're
being looked uipon by my eyes. I'm much too lazy to use something as
organized as one of those lovely systems where each skein is put into it's
own private cubicle.

Lucille

Floss storage boxes Addie Otto Needlework 30 January 1st 06 01:48 PM
Floss-Away brand floss bags Seanette Blaylock Needlework 6 February 21st 05 03:49 AM
Floss Storage Quest... Louise Weiler Needlework 20 January 31st 05 06:53 PM
24K plating system on TV? jk Glass 0 June 5th 04 02:19 AM
Anyone use Flynn system Audrey Eischens Quilting 1 November 25th 03 01:55 AM