BOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooored!

Old September 13th 06, 03:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.rubberstamps
Alison

Default BOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooored!

Jeez, louise, talk about a dead group of late!

What in heavens name is everyone up to???

I'll start:
I've stopped bothering with magazines, since that artsy collage look has
taken over the world. I'm MUCH more into clean lines and simple elegance.
That's a bummer, because I really used to enjoy the Rubber Stamper and
Stampers' Sampler.

Several times in the past couple of months, I've attended crops (I'm NOT a
scrapper, but am very thankful that they typically tolerate my presence in
their midst at such events.) I love going to crops because: I love crafting
with other people, and I love having a store full of goodies to buy and use
right away if the whim strikes. Creative Memories has this paper trimmer
with a long shallow wave pattern, and I'm totally in love... I have it on my
Christmas wishlist, if I can wait that long.

I was totally not into Christmas last year (I did not send out Christmas
cards - handmade or otherwise - for the first time since 6th grade!!), until
I realized the day before Christmas eve that my DH's family has completely
different traditions than my family, and so when we stay with his family for
the holiday, it just doesn't feel like Christmas to me. So... I made my
Granny's sugar cookies, which totally signals Christmas for me, on Christmas
Eve, and suddenly was into the spirit (oh, so late!). So, I started this
years Christmas cards Dec 26. I have 62 made so far, 5 different designs,
no two quite the same. I intend to make whatever comes to me, and I'll
determine my mailing list by what I have made when the time comes.

Right now, I have on hand ~20 birthday cards (I'm on a birthday list, for
which I need 21 bday cards through the end of this year, and I probably
should send Mom and Dad something for their birthdays in October, huh?), ~20
all-occasion cards, and those ~60 Christmas cards. My natural instinct is
not to make more until I've used what I have, but on the other hand, I want
to "make hay while the sun shines". The one thing I wish I could change
right now (well, other than the fact that this board is slower than molasses
on a cold winter day!) is that my muse seems to desert me without a crop. I
have a great stamping room, except that when I sit at my worktable, I just
veg out, and nothing calls to me. Oh well, this too shall pass, and the
crops are great fun, so why complain?

After almost 10 years of stamping, I find I'm not particular interested in
the "hottest trends" and newest trinkets. Then again, I never have been
into "trendy", I'm much more of a "classics" kinda gal. But, I still like
looking around, never know when you're going to find a treasure. I guess
it's one of the reasons I still come to this ng, even though it's almost
pointless anymore... never know when I'll stumble across a gem. Speaking
of, I'm in Durham, NC... if anyone wants to have a play date! :-)

Alison

Old September 14th 06, 04:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.rubberstamps
Tom and Karen Brooks

Alison,

You're right this group is really dead, but I check every day just in case
and surprise surprise a nice long note from you. I'm not much of a writer
(ummmm typer) but I do like to hear what's going on with other stampers.

I agree totally with you about the collage craze. It isn't my style and I
just can't find the appeal. It's one of those kinds of art that just
doesn't strike me. I too, like clean lines and simple elegance and
fortunately still see a few of those types of cards in my favorite
magazines. So I haven't completely given up on magazines. They still have
some cool ideas every now and then.

I recently (well 2 yrs ago) moved out into the boonies of Georgia. I truly
love our new home and it's the most beautiful setting but... it really is
far away from everything (we can't even get pizza delivered), so I haven't
found anyone to rubber stamp with or crop. I used to be a Creative Memories
consultant, but I prefer rubber stamping. Good thing the paper and tools
and stuff for scrapping work well with rubber stamping.

I'm glad you found a way to celebrate Christmas last year. I often don't
correspond with all of my friends very much except at Christmas, so I try to
always send cards and get into the spirit. I used to only make cards for
"special" folks on my list until I remembered that if they are on my list
then they are special. So now I make about 100 cards and they are all
different. I start right after Christmas and just make a few every time I'm
in the stamping mood. So if I have a new idea, I just use it for general
cards and a few Christmas cards.

I think if you feel like stamping just make some more cards. Sounds like
all the ones that you have are already designated anyway. When I have a
lot of cards on hand I always find an occasion to send one. Which brings
me to my absolute favorite reason for rubber-stamping. It's the one hobby
that I've had over the years that I can finish a project relatively quickly,
and then easily send to someone when I'm finished. The recipient doesn't
have to think "what am I going to do with this?", they can keep it or not
and my feelings won't be hurt. (Everyone says that they keep my cards, so I
like to believe that they do, but it doesn't really matter).

I really wish that we were closer together, I would love to have a play
date.

--

Karen R. Brooks

Old September 14th 06, 06:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.rubberstamps
Maya

I usually lurk, and was worried that I was only getting ads, but I LOVE
the posts with a synopsis of what people are up to Can I play?

I've also been stamping for many years (since 3rd grade, lol) and am
not impressed with all the layering overdone 3 pound cards.
I fell in love with A Muse simplicity in stamps again, and just took a
Karen Lockhart class after her stamps pulled me back into full-time
stamping! She is a great teacher, and there were tips I had completely
forgotten, that she reminded me of.

I am starting small classes where people can use my stamp collection,
now passing 2K(I am ashamed and surprised at that number) and supplies
to make cards in themes....they will just pay for supplies, for
example .10/cardstock .10/ribbon. My husband says I should charge per
card, but I'm unsure.
any suggestions with this?
I am not a seller or distributor of ANY kind, just have a lot of lonely
stamps!

Hope to hear more from this board!
Maya

Old September 14th 06, 06:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.rubberstamps
Alison

"Maya" wrote in message
ups.com...
I usually lurk, and was worried that I was only getting ads, but I LOVE
the posts with a synopsis of what people are up to Can I play?

Oh, yes, you may play! Any other lurkers out there, come on, you can do
it!!

I am starting small classes where people can use my stamp collection,
now passing 2K(I am ashamed and surprised at that number) and supplies
to make cards in themes....they will just pay for supplies, for
example .10/cardstock .10/ribbon. My husband says I should charge per
card, but I'm unsure. Any suggestions with this?
I am not a seller or distributor of ANY kind, just have a lot of lonely
stamps!

Here's my thought, take it for what it's worth (which is totally up to you!)
and as intended (friendly sharing):
For me, I'd be so thrilled to have someone to come over and play with me,
I'd just about be willing to pay them! So, any fee I'd accept would likely
be a token - a few dollars for a few hours, or maybe a dollar (or less) a
card... but I really wouldn't want to be bothered with the tallying. Will
you be designing the cards, or just letting them play with your toys with
your guidance? A demonstrator friend of mine charges $10 for 10 cards at
her workshops, and I have always felt it's a very fair price. Although...
those workshops are very often simply putting together the pieces that she's
already cut to size... I think I'd rather a little more wiggle room in
design (but, I'm an experienced stamper, too).

So, what am I trying to say? Hmmm, I doubt I'd charge at all, but if people
wanted to pay me, I'd probably say $1 per card or $5 a session, or something
similarly nominal, rather than try to keep track of pieces of cardstock,
yards of ribbon, and numbers of brads. But that's because I think *I'd*
have more fun that way, too.

Please report back on how your classes go? How many people you get, what
"class" size works best for you, how you go about recruiting students, how
much you put into the designs and how much do the students, etc. Curious
minds want to know!

Alison

Old September 14th 06, 07:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.rubberstamps
Maya

That's a great idea, I will just go with the per card amount.

I was going to have samples and baskets with themes, and let people
just play as they wish. That way people that are new to the "sport"
will have an example, and the experienced will just have fun
experimenting.
The first one is Fall Holidays, hope it goes great

Thanks Alison!

Old September 16th 06, 08:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.rubberstamps
Wave Jumper

Thanks for getting this group talking again. It's been a long time and I
was just about ready to delete it from my list.

I'm not much into collage either. To me it's sorta like jazz, which I don't
like because it sounds like gibberish to me. I guess collage looks like
gibberish to me. Hmmmm. Please don't be offended. That's just my opinion.
My husband loves it.

I have a hard time getting cards finished for Christmas because I put it off
to long and before I know it, it's Thanksgiving and I'm soooo busy with
other things. This year I designed four cards before vacation and took all
the supplies with me in our RV. I finished 30 of them so feel good and know
I'll be able to finish the rest before my personal deadline...Thanksgiving.

Wow! Alison, it sounds like your on a roll with all those cards. Lately
I've been making cards for service personal that are on their way home from
their tour of duty. A friend knows someone who makes up baskets for them
and she asked us to make welcome home cards for inside. We did 200 last
month and now she wants 400. Ouch, don't know how we're going to get that
many done without more help. If anyone wants to help out let me know and
I'll give you my friends address so you can send them directly to her.

I'm not a scrapper either but sure wish I was with all the pictures I have
stacking up...like 41 years worth. The longer I wait the scarier it gets.
I have classes for stampers once in awhile and design cards for "make and
takes". All the paper is cut to size so it's faster and they make 2 of each
kind so have one to send and one to save as a sample. Sometimes one of them
just wants to play with whatever and thatıs fine too. It's $1.00 a card
unless they want to buy something from the catalog. Then that money goes
toward their order. A $1.00 is not much to pay for a card and that includes
all the embellishments, etc.

Thanks again for getting the conversation rolling. Lets continue it,
stampers/scrapers.

SAD

Old September 17th 06, 03:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.rubberstamps
chatty cathy

Hello im Cathy and i love scraping and card making..i am not very good
at it as i should be by now but the point for me is to enjoy my hobby
and sending something personal from my heart is more meaningful than
buying it...
As for COLLAGES....I have to admit i like them..so im the odd ball.
I took a clip board and used up some of the extra pictures i had of my
cruise and i decorated the clip board and cut out photos into s hapes
and embellished with all kinds of stickers and shells and mesh and
such..it was fun and something i hung up in my living room to see each
morning when i wake up..what better way for me to remember such a
fantastic cruise..haha
I love to rubber stamp and have so many but not into any particular
kind...im not that picky.i get them everywhere even yard sales so long
as it stamps is all i care..im very frugal..hahah
Its about time this group got to chatting i have lurked here and
posted but never no one came in to chat..its ashame too cause
rubberstamping is a good hobby and im addicted to it all...
I dont know how you did it but im just glad you did cause its nice
to see people chatting away and sharing any tips and ideas they have..
im going to have to try that glitter and glue trick and see if i
like it..
Love to emboss but seem to have trouble...i dont know why it seems
easy enough.
I love watching Dee Grundig do her stamping she is so funny
and everything she does turns out so good.
well thats my 2˘ too..
cathy from arizona

Old September 18th 06, 08:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.rubberstamps
Alison

Chatty Cathy wrote:
Love to emboss but seem to have trouble...i dont know why it seems
easy enough.

First off, Cathy (and anyone else to whom this information might be new),
graphics are generally frowned upon in newsgroups, so please turn off your
background stationery and signature pics on future posts.

As to embossing... what's the trouble you're having? Surely there's someone
here who can help!

If your problem is having stray flecks of EP sticking in places you didn't
intend... one of those "magic puff", "embossing pillow"... what are those
blasted things called??? It's a pillow of powder (diatomaceous earth,
actually) that you pounce on your cardstock before you stamp and sprinkle,
and the EP only sticks to the ink... it's a must have!

Overheating is the other common mistake people make. Once it turns, move
on. If you continue to heat, it'll melt to the point that it soaks right
into the paper (and you can eaven easily scorch your paper with overheating,
too!)

If these are the problems, post and explain, and let's see if we have tips!
Embossing is so cool... it's the magic that got *me* hooked, I know for
sure.

Kind regards,
Alison

Old September 25th 06, 07:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.rubberstamps
Connie \(Kendall\) Bartley

I think some of the reasons that these groups go quite in the summer is that
all the kids are out of school. It is too nice to stay indoors and summer
has so many more things going on. Such as vacations, family reunions and the
such. Yard work and gardening also takes up lots of time.

--
Connie K Bartley
Pages done for this month =

Old September 25th 06, 09:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.rubberstamps
Alison

"Connie (Kendall) Bartley" wrote in message
I think some of the reasons that these groups go quite in the summer is
that all the kids are out of school. It is too nice to stay indoors and
summer has so many more things going on. Such as vacations, family reunions
and the such. Yard work and gardening also takes up lots of time.

That's a theory, Connie, but this group has been all but dead for much much
longer than the summer!

Alison